Bogus BSC Officiating

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Bogus BSC Officiating

Post by SuperHornet »

Everyone knows that UC Davis ranks right up there with the Redskins, the Sharks, the Warriors, the SF Giants, and the Tokay HS Tigers on my list of teams to hate. But I'll call out bogus officiating even when these teams are the ones getting screwed. And that was DEFINITELY the case yesterday when Davis lost a linebacker to the worst targeting call I've seen since that NAU quarterback was tossed. The hit was CLEARLY at the RB's numbers. Why are these officials so incompetent?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Bogus BSC Officiating

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:35 pm Everyone knows that UC Davis ranks right up there with the Redskins, the Sharks, the Warriors, the SF Giants, and the Tokay HS Tigers on my list of teams to hate. But I'll call out bogus officiating even when these teams are the ones getting screwed. And that was DEFINITELY the case yesterday when Davis lost a linebacker to the worst targeting call I've seen since that NAU quarterback was tossed. The hit was CLEARLY at the RB's numbers. Why are these officials so incompetent?
Did he lead with the crown of his helmet? If yes, then it's technically targeting regardless of where he hit the opposing player. And that rule is in place to protect the tackler just as much as the ball carrier. It can result in Axial loading of the spine and needs to be stricken from the game.

What is Targeting?
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
  • Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:49 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:35 pm Everyone knows that UC Davis ranks right up there with the Redskins, the Sharks, the Warriors, the SF Giants, and the Tokay HS Tigers on my list of teams to hate. But I'll call out bogus officiating even when these teams are the ones getting screwed. And that was DEFINITELY the case yesterday when Davis lost a linebacker to the worst targeting call I've seen since that NAU quarterback was tossed. The hit was CLEARLY at the RB's numbers. Why are these officials so incompetent?
Did he lead with the crown of his helmet? If yes, then it's technically targeting regardless of where he hit the opposing player. And that rule is in place to protect the tackler just as much as the ball carrier. It can result in Axial loading of the spine and needs to be stricken from the game.

What is Targeting?
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
  • Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
:nod:

I understand arguing with the rule but the right call was made.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

As noted during the broadcast, the rule explicitly states in Article 4 (UNI88 even includes it) that the blow MUST be made in the head or neck area to constitute targeting. This hit clearly did NOT meet that requirement. It was a standard, textbook tackle.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 am As noted during the broadcast, the rule explicitly states in Article 4 (UNI88 even includes it) that the blow MUST be made in the head or neck area to constitute targeting. This hit clearly did NOT meet that requirement. It was a standard, textbook tackle.
Define “neck area”.

The ball carriers head snapped back as the blow came with a lowered helmet right under the chin/face mask.

It was the right call.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Right under the facemask? What picture were YOU looking at? It was right around his numbers....

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 am As noted during the broadcast, the rule explicitly states in Article 4 (UNI88 even includes it) that the blow MUST be made in the head or neck area to constitute targeting. This hit clearly did NOT meet that requirement. It was a standard, textbook tackle.
The hit could be targeting without a blow to the head or neck area under Article 3 (No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul.) and the 4th indicator (Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet). If a player leads with the crown they can be flagged for targeting regardless of where they make contact.

This part of the rule is for the safety of the tackler. Leading with the crown can lead to serious injury and even paralysis. It needs to be penalized so tacklers stop doing it. Here's an NFL example of what can go wrong ...

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:01 am Right under the facemask? What picture were YOU looking at? It was right around his numbers....
I watched the broadcast and they replayed the hit a bunch.

Have seen former players and coaches agree with the call.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Kalm: In no way do I want my objection to the call to be associated with a claim that EWU was handed the game on a silver platter or didn't deserve the win. Even without this bungled call, EWU did more than enough to win this game.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Is there a video of the actual play?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 am Is there a video of the actual play?
I looked yesterday, but couldn't find one. It may have been posted since then, though. I highly doubt it, however, given that P5 elitists still think we're D-II or worse, and therefore not worth the effort to even recognize our existence....

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:06 am Kalm: In no way do I want my objection to the call to be associated with a claim that EWU was handed the game on a silver platter or didn't deserve the win. Even without this bungled call, EWU did more than enough to win this game.
No worries. I didn’t take it that way.