Playoffs

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Playoffs

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 am Football starved fans aren't starved for JSU Davidson or WSU SIU

They are starved for good football at schools. They've heard of.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It's not absolute - 100% of football starved fans are only interested in football at schools they've heard of. There is a percentage that would watch FCS football over lax of softball.

And many have heard of NDSU.

IMO, ESPN missed an opportunity to build the FCS brand because they did things the way they've always done things rather than thinking outside of the box and taking advantage of the unique opportunity that is spring FCS football.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Football starved fans aren't going to watch these games in enough numbers to justify moving anything off their network.

The most football starved fan will tune into Davidson/Jax State for 3 minutes and go "Holy fuck, Davidson is shit and Jax State is literally the most undisciplined football team I've ever seen"

I'm in the top 1-2% of FCS fans - I'd say anyone who has spent years/decades on FCS message boards talking about the game qualifies as a 1%er - and if it wasn't for one of my best friends being a JSU alum I wouldn't watch 2 minutes of that game. Even as it is I might watch a series here or there but I won't make sure I'm not missing it. Same with any other game this weekend.

You (royal you to include most anyone here or AGS that has made the same point) are GREATLY overvaluing just how much people would actually care

We've watched it play out the last 2 or 3 years every spring

XFL folded like a cheap wet suit because no on gave a a fuck. Those "football starved fans" watched one week of it and went "Holy shit this is bad football" and stopped watching

The AAoAF, or whatever it was, had tens of millions pumped into it. Given prime Sunday slots on CBS and CBS SportsNetwork - dwarfing the reach of ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU - and went bankrupt within 6 weeks because people turned in for one week and went "Holy shit, this isn't good"

If football starved fans were a thing Arena teams would be folding and relocating and playing in front of empty arenas in non-pandemic times. If football fans were starving for football the CFL would be watched in America. Yet it isn't. 99% of American football fans couldn't name one CFL team. If fans were that starved for football spring games would have 100% capacity for spring games and outside of 4 or 5 schools at the P5 level that just doesn't happen.

People are starved for the idea of football. They aren't starved for poorly played FCS football

Is there are percent that would watch FCS over softball or lacrosse?

Sure. However, we have years of TV ratings showing that FCS games outside of the title game, or a semi-final or big game involving two known names, that the ratings are very poor and would get dwarfed by the number of people that watched the NCAA Gymnastics finals or the LPGA Tour event last weekend.

Be honest with yourself

Are 500k plus people really going to be willing to watch VMI, Davidson, Holy Cross, Sacred Heart, Southern Illinois, Weber State, Missouri State, North Dakota, Sam Houston State, etc.?

Outside of JMU, NDSU and maybe SDSU or EWU there isn't one school in this entire thing that any casual fan would actually tune in to watch. I say maybe EWU because their fans don't even turn out and I'm not entirely sure they have a football program 4 years from now. SDSU is a maybe because outside of the FCS no one knows if they are good. They aren't tuning in on the name recognition of "SDSU"
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

In general, that's probably true, clenz, but there ARE exceptions. CBS aired a few FCS and G5 games last fall while the stupid P5 was still trying to get their act together. If THAT exception can exist, it ought to go when there's no other football option, too....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:04 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 pm Around here the lax games would be a bigger draw.
Lax is becoming more and more popular but my gut tells me that as you move west or south, lax isn't as popular and your average sports fan is more likely to watch a spring college football game than a lax or softball game.
For sure. I jinxed the Terps today. Playing Hopkins, which normally would be a big game, but Hopkins stinks this year and Terps are #1 in the country. Terps go up 5-0 halfway through the first and I actually said out loud I feel bad for the Blue Jays. Hopkins currently up one goal. :?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Clenz, I think more people would watch our playoffs than are watching lacrosse or softball. Is that what you were asking?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Terps come back and win in regulation after trailing by 2 with under 2 minutes left. Phew.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:11 pm Terps come back and win in regulation after trailing by 2 with under 2 minutes left. Phew.
:suspicious: WTF does that have to do with FCS football? There’s an ‘Other College Sports’ thread for whatever you’re talking about.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm
89Hen wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:11 pm Terps come back and win in regulation after trailing by 2 with under 2 minutes left. Phew.
:suspicious: WTF does that have to do with FCS football? There’s an ‘Other College Sports’ thread for whatever you’re talking about.
It has nothing to do with I-AA football. But I'm your senior so suck it.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

DeGrom strikes out 15 today.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:45 pm DeGrom strikes out 15 today.
Kalm went 2-0 in washerboard this afternoon.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:35 pm
:rofl:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

So about that Weber State team that should 100% have been a top seed and played an amazing SoS

How's that 5th place MVFC team taste?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:19 pm So about that Weber State team that should 100% have been a top seed and played an amazing SoS

How's that 5th place MVFC team taste?
:lol: :notworthy:

Big Sky looking like Big Sky.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Flipped away from the UD/SH game to watch the NCAA Volleyball championship match. #8 for Texas is Sydney Petersen, daughter of UNI coach/legend, Bobbi Petersen.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

3 year started as a junior down there.

Her twin sister is a 3 year starter at UNI

Their younger sisters, also twins, as actually better than Baylee and Sydney.

Hopefully Bobbi learned her lesson with Sydney and is giving them the extra treats and presents they ask for to keep both of them at home this time

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Catch a clue. This is a I-AA football board. No-one GAF about whatever Maryland sport you’re talking about..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Catch a clue. This is a I-AA football board. No-one GAF about whatever Maryland sport you’re talking about..
Wrong - I do.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:54 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:42 pm
Wrong - I do.

Nice blank picture.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I'm hearing Sunday games.

Latest update

(all times Eastern)
3:00 p.m. North Dakota State at Sam Houston - ESPN
3:00 p.m. Delaware at Jacksonville State - ESPN3
6:00 p.m. North Dakota at James Madison - ESPN2
9:00 p.m. Southern Illinois at South Dakota Sate - ESPN2
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

If the Bison play like they did against EWU, they have a good chance of beating Sam Houston.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison Starting QB for 6 games, Zeb Noland is leaving the program after the spring season. Wish Zeb the best on his career opportunities.

KVRR Link

FARGO, ND (KVRR) – After Saturday’s first round FCS Playoff win, head coach Matt Entz announced that quarterback Zeb Noland won’t be returning in the fall because of a power 5 coaching opportunity that has presented itself.

The senior saw a fair amount of a time on the field through the six regular season games before Cam Miller took his place after the first possession against Eastern Washington. Noland completed just under half of his passes this year, tossing five touchdowns and six interceptions and running for a score. The Georgia native transferred to NDSU from Iowa State last year, where he played three seasons for the Cyclones. Entz is thankful for Noland’s decision to join to Herd and for the work he’s put in.

“We appreciate everything he’s done for us,” Entz said. “When a guy comes in from a Power 5 who’s played, started, and for the buy-in we’ve gotten from Zeb over the last two years. I could never have asked what we’ve gotten from him. You would think he’s been here all five years. He’s got a degree. He’s got great experience and he’s got some of the best friends that he’ll ever have for the rest of his life. We owe a lot to him as Bisons.”

He has one year of eligibility left.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sounds like there may be a conflict if South Dakota State wins their Elite 8 game. SDSU is looking at moving graduation to the football stadium, over Saturday and Sunday next weekend. If they win, I hope they can figure that out, or they might end up playing in Fargo or Grand Forks
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am Someone named ‘Lakesbison’ has already come onto the JMU board and started a ‘NDSU @ JMU Semifinal’ thread.. :ohno:
Lakes is hilarious!
After trolling on the JMU board for a week and a half, that idiot has disappeared...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm :suspicious: WTF does that have to do with FCS football? There’s an ‘Other College Sports’ thread for whatever you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:03 pm
89Hen wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it wasn't funny the last 9 days until now? :roll: