Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Playoffs

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 am

I think normal size will do.
So you don't think that winning a Natty this year is a little watered down? Kind of like winning the I-AA Natty in 1979? :D
I do, hence the asterisk. Just not a big one because you still have to beat four of the best teams in I-AA to win it all. :ugeek:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:20 am CAA, between Albany quitting, and the China Virus, is a fooking mess right now. Only 3 of 5 games last Sat, only 1 of 5 games this weekend, 4/10 looks like only 3 of 5.

4/3:
Open date: UD, W&M, JMU, URI
Out: Elon (China Virus), UR (China Virus), Albany (quit), UNH (China Virus)
4/10:
Open date : Villanova, JMU, W&M?)
Out: Elon (China Virus). Albany (quit). UR (likely out, China Virus).

4/17:
Open date: W&M, Elon, UR

-UR has to play 1 more game to be playoff eligible.
-JMU has to play 1 more CAA game to be CAA AQ eligible, and UR is the only CAA South team JMU hasn't played.
Bump. UNH @ URI postponed (China Virus UNH, 3rd game in a row postponed), so now, just like the MVFC, only 1 of 5 league games with weekend.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 am How big of an asterisk should the eventual national champion have next to this season's title?
Does Alabama have an asterisk next to their NC this past Jan?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 am How big of an asterisk should the eventual national champion have next to this season's title?
Did Oklahoma and Oklahoma State sit out the season? Montana and Montana State did. Were there as many FBS games cancelled in the fall as there have been FCS games this spring?

It's been a sh!tshow and you want to pretend that everything is normal so that if JMU wins a Natty you can brag about it. It will be an accomplishment but this is a discussion board and it's fair to ask how it compares to previous FCS championships.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:24 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm
Did Oklahoma and Oklahoma State sit out the season? Montana and Montana State did. Were there as many FBS games cancelled in the fall as there have been FCS games this spring?

It's been a sh!tshow and you want to pretend that everything is normal so that if JMU wins a Natty you can brag about it. It will be an accomplishment but this is a discussion board and it's fair to ask how it compares to previous FCS championships.
With a massive asterisk. :coffee:

And I say that even if NDSU wins its ninth one in 10(?)years.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Other than the Montanas, who else is sitting out that would be a threat to make Frisco?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

If teams start dropping play-off games due to covid, we could even have no title if both finalists have covid issues.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Asterisks are a BDK move. No asterisks!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

What was the problem with 1979? The fact that 10-1 Boise was ineligible due to probation? Or the fact that HBCUs were at the top of the poll for much of the season? Something else?

And what was wrong with 2010?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 am What was the problem with 1979? The fact that 10-1 Boise was ineligible due to probation? Or the fact that HBCUs were at the top of the poll for much of the season? Something else?

Oh no you didnt!
Go ask NDSU fans. :lol:
And UD fans. :lol:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I just saw Thursday's scores. I think that we can put a lid on any expectation of Tarleton State making the playoffs, eligible or not, after their one-TD loss to unranked D-II East Central (OK). I'm not sure how that will affect barnstorming East Central, as they are 2-0 with only one effective game left (10 APR vs. Lincoln (MO)), as their last game against SFA has been cancelled due to SFA having pulled the plug on the season. But I think this D-II loss wipes out Tarleton's FBS win, and will knock them not only out of the FCS STATS Poll, but out of the playoffs altogether....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 am What was the problem with 1979? The fact that 10-1 Boise was ineligible due to probation? Or the fact that HBCUs were at the top of the poll for much of the season? Something else?

Choking Their Chicken fans like to argue that early I-AA championships aren't as relevant because a number of good teams hadn't moved up from D2 yet. Delaware won the D2 Natty in 1979 so that seemed like a good year to use as an example.

2010 was the most legit I-AA/FCS championship ever. No question that the best team in the country won it all that year. Anyone that claims otherwise is a whining cry-baby. :D
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am

Choking Their Chicken fans like to argue that early I-AA championships aren't as relevant because a number of good teams hadn't moved up from D2 yet. Delaware won the D2 Natty in 1979 so that seemed like a good year to use as an example.

2010 was the most legit I-AA/FCS championship ever. No question that the best team in the country won it all that year. Anyone that claims otherwise is a whining cry-baby. :D
Jensen was down on 2nd and goal, but the refs called a fumble. Refs are part of the game, stands as an EWU win. Eagles won that day, and went on to Champions, something nobody can take away. I'll take that loss and 8 titles since any day.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:23 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am

Jensen was down on 2nd and goal, but the refs called a fumble. Refs are part of the game, stands as an EWU win. Eagles won that day, and went on to Champions, something nobody can take away. I'll take that loss and 8 titles since any day.

Jensen fumbled. Confirmed by booth review, Gil DoBiden.

:mrgreen:

Edit: aside from outcome, still the greatest college football game I’ve ever seen.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:23 am

Jensen fumbled. Confirmed by booth review, Gil DoBiden.

:mrgreen:

Edit: aside from outcome, still the greatest college football game I’ve ever seen.
Hush AOC Kalmala ;)

We had 17 inches of snow that day. Shoveled my way into the driveway, made a couple of frozen pizza's for my stormed-in house guest, and watched the game on my laptop.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

If Richmond beat JMU and UD finishes undefeated is JMU on the bubble?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 pm If Richmond beat JMU and UD finishes undefeated is JMU on the bubble?
Yes. But I believe there is, and is going to be, some ducking going on.
-UR's game next Sat vs W&M (2nd time) is doubtful.
-All 4 CAA South teams are bye 4/17.
-Elon is probably done.
-The only 2 who haven't played are UR/JMU.

On 4/10, I doubt Villanova, like JMU no one to play next Sat, will be willing to play JMU next Sat (a bus trip), even if JMU was willing to travel. VU could just take the week off, and If VU beats UD on 4/17, a 3-1 VU would take the CAA North over a 4-1/3-1 UD. But if VU played and lost to JMU on 4/10, they wouldn't.

On 4/17 I don't know if UR will play JMU. They'll probably claim Covid, which would robably be BS, as it would be 3 weeks in a row. And if UR thinks they can get an at large (or even the AQ) by ducking JMU, they'll do it. I wish JMU would publicly say we're willing to play UR on 4/17, and for the NCAA to say to UR if you want to be considered for an At large, you have to play JMU.

Maybe JMU can get W&M to play on 4/10 (if UR/W&M is postponed/cancelled) or on 4/17. W&M @ JMU was postponed earlier in the season, JMU won @ W&M 38-10 eight days ago (was a blowout, 28-0 mid 2nd, 38-3 in the 4th).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 pm If Richmond beat JMU and UD finishes undefeated is JMU on the bubble?
-Elon is probably done.

On 4/10, I doubt Villanova, like JMU no one to play next Sat, will be willing to play JMU next Sat (a bus trip), even if JMU was willing to travel. VU could just take the week off, and If VU beats UD on 4/17, a 3-1 VU would take the CAA North over a 4-1/3-1 UD. But if VU played and lost to JMU on 4/10, they wouldn't.

On 4/17 I don't know if UR will play JMU. They'll probably claim Covid, which would robably be BS, as it would be 3 weeks in a row. And if UR thinks they can get an at large (or even the AQ) by ducking JMU, they'll do it. I wish JMU would publicly say we're willing to play UR on 4/17, and for the NCAA to say to UR if you want to be considered for an At large, you have to play JMU.

Maybe JMU can get W&M to play on 4/10 (if UR/W&M is postponed/cancelled) or on 4/17. W&M @ JMU was postponed earlier in the season, JMU won @ W&M 38-10 eight days ago (was a blowout, 28-0 mid 2nd, 38-3 in the 4th).
Good analysis. Thx!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am Choking Their Chicken fans like to argue that early I-AA championships aren't as relevant because a number of good teams hadn't moved up from D2 yet. Delaware won the D2 Natty in 1979 so that seemed like a good year to use as an example.
And they'd be right. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am Choking Their Chicken fans like to argue that early I-AA championships aren't as relevant because a number of good teams hadn't moved up from D2 yet. Delaware won the D2 Natty in 1979 so that seemed like a good year to use as an example.
And teams hadn't moved down from DI-A either. Pretty good rule of thumb is that from the 1982 season onward, you had a legitimate I-AA/FCS classification. By 1982, there were well more than double the number of teams that played in that 1979 season.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:56 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm
-Elon is probably done.

Good analysis. Thx!
I forgot, UR has only played 3 games (Elon 2x, W&M once), and need to play 1 more to be playoff eligible. The only way they get in is 4-0. If their 4/10 vs W&M is postponed (likely), obviously their 1st choice would be W&M again on 4/17..Otherwise it would be JMU. And if not JMU on 4/17, hopefully JMU 1st round on 4/24...
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:32 am
And teams hadn't moved down from DI-A either. Pretty good rule of thumb is that from the 1982 season onward, you had a legitimate I-AA/FCS classification. By 1982, there were well more than double the number of teams that played in that 1979 season.
And I would argue that the 2021 FCS Championship is no more legit than a pre-1982 I-AA Championship.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 am

And I would argue that the 2021 FCS Championship is no more legit than a pre-1982 I-AA Championship.
Eh. has more teams in the playoffs. Pre-1982 (when it moved to a 12 team playoff), you had just 8 teams make the playoffs, and in the early years just 4 teams. A 16 team slate this year does at least mean you'll have 16 teams committed to playing the season out. But I agree, it's not the same as a normal fall season, that's obvious.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 am

Eh. has more teams in the playoffs. Pre-1982 (when it moved to a 12 team playoff), you had just 8 teams make the playoffs, and in the early years just 4 teams. A 16 team slate this year does at least mean you'll have 16 teams committed to playing the season out. But I agree, it's not the same as a normal fall season, that's obvious.
Hence why we agreed there would be an asterisk. You pot stirring is sorely lacking 88.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:41 am
Hence why we agreed there would be an asterisk. You pot stirring is sorely lacking 88.
Sorry I upset you Eeyore. The asterisk might not be as big as pre-82 but this season has been a sh!tshow and IMO the asterisk is still substantial and there are posters who would argue against it (BDkkk - Does Alabama have an asterisk next to their NC this past Jan?). You're free to have your own opinion just like you think that Flacco was as good as Russell Wilson. :poke: