I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Playoffs

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:03 pm
:rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it wasn't funny the last 9 days until now? :roll:
I didn't read it 9 days ago, smart guy. :roll: Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Fucking told y'all bitcing about "football starved football fans just want to watch college football" you were wrong and if the stations had anything else to show they would

328K viewers for NDSU-SHSU (ESPN), 251K for UND-JMU (ESPN2), and 219K for SDSU-SIU (ESPN2)

For comparison, the 2019 quarterfinals saw: 1.7 million viewers for NDSU-ISU (ESPN), 563K for UNI-JMU (ESPN2), and 438K for Montana-Weber (ESPN2)

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm Fucking told y'all bitcing about "football starved football fans just want to watch college football" you were wrong and if the stations had anything else to show they would

328K viewers for NDSU-SHSU (ESPN), 251K for UND-JMU (ESPN2), and 219K for SDSU-SIU (ESPN2)

For comparison, the 2019 quarterfinals saw: 1.7 million viewers for NDSU-ISU (ESPN), 563K for UNI-JMU (ESPN2), and 438K for Montana-Weber (ESPN2)

How did the following non-football games do the week prior?
  • Syracuse vs. Virginia (lax) on ESPN2
  • Northwestern vs. Michigan (softball) on ESPNU
  • Georgia vs. Tennessee (softball) on ESPN 2
  • Maryland vs Johns Hopkins (lax) on ESPNU
  • LSU vs. Kentucky (softball) on ESPN2
  • Penn State vs. Ohio State (lax) on ESPNU
  • South Carolina vs. Florida (softball)
  • Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt (baseball) on ESPNU
That's what the mothership chose to show rather than FCS playoff games on regular channels during week 1.

Yes, I left off the volleyball national championship game.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm Fucking told y'all bitcing about "football starved football fans just want to watch college football" you were wrong and if the stations had anything else to show they would

Isn't viewership for everything since COVID down, and down precipitously? That comparison is not really useful - how did those games in 2019 compare to other events at the same time in 2019. Comparing 2019 to 2021 doesn't really work if you don't factor in the COVID impact on viewership.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote:

Isn't viewership for everything since COVID down, and down precipitously? That comparison is not really useful - how did those games in 2019 compare to other events at the same time in 2019. Comparing 2019 to 2021 doesn't really work if you don't factor in the COVID impact on viewership.
Football starved fans!!!!
Extra exposure because only football around!!!

Covid doesn’t matter. We were told all year that exposure was great and spring football should always happen and fans are starved for football

That just simply isn’t the case.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Let's be aware of the huge difference between "low ratings" and no viewership whatsoever. Spring is traditionally a time of low sports viewership (just look at baseball). It should be available for those who want it. It's better than watching infomercials, isn't it? Besides, it's clearly not a case of the global statement "NOBODY's watching." That's CLEARLY not true....

SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am
GannonFan wrote:

Covid doesn’t matter. We were told all year that exposure was great and spring football should always happen and fans are starved for football

How can you say COVID doesn't matter? All we hear is that viewership across all segments and all types of broadcast as down, and down significantly. How does burying your head in the sand regarding that make it not true?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 am
clenz wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am

How can you say COVID doesn't matter? All we hear is that viewership across all segments and all types of broadcast as down, and down significantly. How does burying your head in the sand regarding that make it not true?
Covid isn't keeping an extra 700k plus people from watching these games.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 am Let's be aware of the huge difference between "low ratings" and no viewership whatsoever. Spring is traditionally a time of low sports viewership (just look at baseball). It should be available for those who want it. It's better than watching infomercials, isn't it? Besides, it's clearly not a case of the global statement "NOBODY's watching." That's CLEARLY not true....

SMH....
If spring is a time of low viewership why the fuck are so many people convinced that spring football is the answer for the FCS?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am
SuperHornet wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 am Let's be aware of the huge difference between "low ratings" and no viewership whatsoever. Spring is traditionally a time of low sports viewership (just look at baseball). It should be available for those who want it. It's better than watching infomercials, isn't it? Besides, it's clearly not a case of the global statement "NOBODY's watching." That's CLEARLY not true....

SMH....
If spring is a time of low viewership why the fuck are so many people convinced that spring football is the answer for the FCS?
I'm not arguing that spring is the answer for FCS. I don't think it is.

Whether I like it or not, FCS is playing in the spring of 2021 and I wonder if ESPN missed an opportunity to reach more viewers than they did with the programming the did show (college lax, baseball, softball, etc.). Comparing FCS playoff ratings in spring of 2021 to fall of 2019 doesn't address that. Comparing 2021 2nd round FCS playoff ratings on ESPN2 and ESPNU to ratings of college lax, baseball, softball, etc. on the same channels comes closer to answering that question.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I swear I posted those a couple weeks ago - the week that had the gymnastics and a few softball/LAX games. They all drew more than the football games - which had prime sunday slots on the mothership and duece this last weekend.

I guess we'll see what the semis draw on Mothership and ABC midday prime slots
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

FCS Mailbag: Ideal Frisco Matchup, TV Viewership, Spring National Champion Momentum
What would be your ideal Frisco matchup that would make for the best game?

All of the potential matchups have great storylines. The best storyline would probably be K.C. Keeler facing his former team Delaware, where he won a national title as the head coach in 2003.

For the best atmosphere, JMU vs. SDSU would be best.

And as far as your actual question for the best matchup that would make for the best game, I’d say SHSU vs. SDSU would be the most exciting game to watch.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Why would JMU provide a better atmosphere?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm Why would JMU provide a better atmosphere?
Is the stadium going to be filled either way? Are there attendance restrictions?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm Why would JMU provide a better atmosphere?
Is the stadium going to be filled either way? Are there attendance restrictions?
50% as per NCAA, so capped at 10.5k or thereabouts...Even with no attendance restrictions, I don't think there would be a sellout, even if JMU/NDSU. Given that:
-Spring
-8 days notice instead of the usual 2-3 weeks.
-People still hesitant about travelling due to the virus.
-On a Sunday.

Most people who want a ticket will be able to get one...Assuming each school will get 4 or 4.5k, rest to public. The embarrassing thing will be if not even all 10+k tickets are used...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.