Football Championship Subdivision discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

The Future of EWU Football?

Post by UNI88 »

Stay Division I? Drop football? EWU weighing options for athletic department
“The perception of some affiliated with the university is that athletics does not contribute to the university mission,” the introduction states. “However, the athletics program’s recruitment and support of over 300 student athletes brings diversity to the university and helps EWU achieve its enrollment goals. Campus and prospective student events surrounding football games and other athletics events bring future students to campus to enhance admissions and enrollment efforts. The success of the athletics program brings former students back to campus and provides a significant enhancement to the university’s alumni relations and development efforts.”
The report laid out four options for EWU athletics to consider:
  • Option A: Remain a NCAA Division I-FCS program
  • Option B: Reclassify to NCAA Division I Subdivision (non-football)
  • Option C: Reclassify to Division II
  • Option D: Reclassify to Division III
What's up in Cheney?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: The Future of EWU Football?

Post by JALMOND »

Similar to what is going on across the country. Case in point, Oregon State recently announced an anonymous donation of $50 million dollars to renovate the west side of Reser Stadium, but a bunch of professors are protesting the donation, saying that football does not contribute to the mission of the university (sound familiar), and the money should instead go towards funding those classes that are at risk of being shelved due to COVID. College professors much too often fail to see the "big picture" and don't realize the true benefits all athletics play in the grand scheme of the university and the city it is in. Take away the impact that 40000 fans have on a Saturday gameday in Corvallis, or 15000 have on a gameday in Cheney, and what are you left with. Sorry, but the school and the city won't be able to get the same figures for a Saturday lecture on molecular biology.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am Similar to what is going on across the country. Case in point, Oregon State recently announced an anonymous donation of $50 million dollars to renovate the west side of Reser Stadium, but a bunch of professors are protesting the donation, saying that football does not contribute to the mission of the university (sound familiar), and the money should instead go towards funding those classes that are at risk of being shelved due to COVID. College professors much too often fail to see the "big picture" and don't realize the true benefits all athletics play in the grand scheme of the university and the city it is in. Take away the impact that 40000 fans have on a Saturday gameday in Corvallis, or 15000 have on a gameday in Cheney, and what are you left with. Sorry, but the school and the city won't be able to get the same figures for a Saturday lecture on molecular biology.
:nod:

The faculty senate gets all up in arms every decade or so and these threats are laid out. This time they're a little more ominous due to the economic realities and changing culture.

I've read half of the 75 page Pictor Group study and it's very pro-athletics and of course screams the need for stadium improvements. But the economic impacts of home games on a local community are astoundingly high as well. There is money out there sitting on the sidelines waiting and community interest. It needs to be given direction again and pitched as a part of Cheney' and Spokane's growth and evolution. I'll be fighting hard for this.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am Similar to what is going on across the country. Case in point, Oregon State recently announced an anonymous donation of $50 million dollars to renovate the west side of Reser Stadium, but a bunch of professors are protesting the donation, saying that football does not contribute to the mission of the university (sound familiar), and the money should instead go towards funding those classes that are at risk of being shelved due to COVID. College professors much too often fail to see the "big picture" and don't realize the true benefits all athletics play in the grand scheme of the university and the city it is in. Take away the impact that 40000 fans have on a Saturday gameday in Corvallis, or 15000 have on a gameday in Cheney, and what are you left with. Sorry, but the school and the city won't be able to get the same figures for a Saturday lecture on molecular biology.

BTW, I miss Cleets Bombay.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Maybe Eastern can do the same thing Weber did a while ago, threaten to drop the program to get the attention of fans and make them more motivated in keeping it alive. Basically say hey if you dont come out you're gonna lose it.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I'd like to understand the economic dynamics of why college has nearly outstripped regular inflation by 5x. I know there's a demand component and expectation of attending college these days that drives up costs to some extent, but I don't think that explains all of it.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/opini ... on/2019/04
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ASUG8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:59 pm I'd like to understand the economic dynamics of why college has nearly outstripped regular inflation by 5x. I know there's a demand component and expectation of attending college these days that drives up costs to some extent, but I don't think that explains all of it.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/opini ... on/2019/04
That article nails it. Presidents being measured by how many new buildings go up and for profit education (both admin and finance of tuition loans) are two of my favorites.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

If I’m donating $50 million you can be damned sure I am going to dictate what it’s spent on. Fuck those professors. Go out and raise their OWN $50 million.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:41 pm If I’m donating $50 million you can be damned sure I am going to dictate what it’s spent on. Fuck those professors. Go out and raise their OWN $50 million.
:thumb: :nod:

Yup. I am sure it was a targeted gift - here's $50 Million to do this specific projects (or maybe to Athletics in general).

Face it, profs, without being in the Pac-12, nobody outside the PNW would know or care at all about OSU.
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:34 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:41 pm If I’m donating $50 million you can be damned sure I am going to dictate what it’s spent on. Fuck those professors. Go out and raise their OWN $50 million.

Yup. I am sure it was a targeted gift - here's $50 Million to do this specific projects (or maybe to Athletics in general).

Face it, profs, without being in the Pac-12, nobody outside the PNW would know or care at all about OSU.
And that’s basically a true statement WITH them in the PAC-12. :lol: :lol:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:34 pm

I knew Jon didn't like Beavers but I'm a bit surprised that you don't seem to like Beavers, AZ. :D
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:47 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm

I knew Jon didn't like Beavers but I'm a bit surprised that you don't seem to like Beavers, AZ. :D
OSU is my most hated team west of the Mississippi not named Bozeman State. Which pains me, given that their BB coach is a Griz, their star BB player the last four years was a Missoula kid, and I LOVE beaver. Just not THE Beavers. :ohno: :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:47 pm
OSU is my most hated team west of the Mississippi not named Bozeman State. Which pains me, given that their BB coach is a Griz, their star BB player the last four years was a Missoula kid. I HATE beaver, especially THE Beavers. :ohno: :ohno:
Why? Isn't that like hating the kid that gets picked last in all the neighborhood games?

Who's your most hated team east of the Mississippi?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:22 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm

OSU is my most hated team west of the Mississippi not named Bozeman State. Which pains me, given that their BB coach is a Griz, their star BB player the last four years was a Missoula kid. I HATE beaver, especially THE Beavers. :ohno: :ohno:
Why? Isn't that like hating the kid that gets picked last in all the neighborhood games?

Who's your most hated team east of the Mississippi?
B) Notre Dame
A) here’s the story: in college we had a regional “olympics style” competition between the four Navy ROTC units in the NW...UW, OSU, Utah and Idaho called Northwest Navy. We got together at one of the universities each year and competed in events like pistol and rifle marksmanship, physical fitness, basketball, and a handful of other events. Everyone rooted for everyone—EXCEPT OSU. Every year those arrogant pricks wouldn’t cheer for anybody but themselves. None of the other schools liked them....if they were beating you in basketball they’d BURY you with their starting 5 in the whole game, up 50. I was on the pistol team and they knew we were their main competition so when they hosted they scheduled us to shoot first, at 7 a.m. They hadn’t turned the heat on in a the building, and I’m here to tell you it’s hard as fuck to hit a target with a pistol when you’re shaking and quivering from cold. :ohno:

Final straw: The last year i went (1988) it was held at UW. At the end there’s a banquet, where one unit is named “Top Unit” or some BS like that, based off of overall team performance at that year’s Northwest Navy event. They were just CERTAIN they’d won, and when UW’s team was announced as the winner, the entire OSU team got up from the banquet and walked out. :dunce: :dunce: Their commanding officer went out and got them, then made them parade past the head table (with a couple admirals, captains, generals and colonels at it) and each OSU dipshit had to apologize in person to each dignitary, while all us OC’s and Midshipmen from Utah, UW and Idaho got to sit there and watch (and laugh). They were just a group of arrogant fucks who nobody liked, and I’ve carried that grudge for 35 years. :lol: :lol:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Yep.

Jamie Pollard, AD at Iowa State, created a shit storm along those lines last year. First he wrote this letter:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB18IDGw

And then he went on a podcast and ripped on a lot of the professors and the community becasue they want the university but don't won't some of the things that come with it and bring students to the college or people to town.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2020/09/tran ... c-podcast/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

The China Virus will have a lot of impact on those schools struggling to be "D1" for both FCS and FBS. Lots of tough decisions to be made across the country, and rightfully so.

Per the article:
The report also surveyed the top 100 donors and athletic department season ticket holders. Just over 35 percent said they would be likely to drop their support of the program if football was dropped. Nearly 30 percent said they would be likely or very likely to continue supporting the program.
This is skewed. It doesn't go into "how much" support would be given. For example, prior to this China Virus impacted season, I'd shell out a few grand to Sac State athletics in the form of season tickets, parking, concessions, fund raiser events, and most significantly the required donation to the general athletics fund to get the season tickets (prime seating locations). Since there were no games this year, all that money stayed in my wallet with the exception of a paltry donation to "support the cause". So technically yes I am still a supporter, but monetarily I've HUGELY decreased my support as there is no football/in person attendance for the athletic events we do have.

Not sure if this study broke down how much support would be reduced with no FB, but a blanket "some would still support" is misleading imo.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:18 pm
Yep.

Jamie Pollard, AD at Iowa State, created a shit storm along those lines last year. First he wrote this letter:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB18IDGw

And then he went on a podcast and ripped on a lot of the professors and the community becasue they want the university but don't won't some of the things that come with it and bring students to the college or people to town.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2020/09/tran ... c-podcast/
Thanks Fiver, that’s a great piece.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Damn, bad week for EWU. This study is released. Then the blown FG call that made national sports news...
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 pm Damn, bad week for EWU. This study is released. Then the blown FG call that made national sports news...
I think the study was a positive. As Kalm said "it's very pro-athletics".
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 pm Damn, bad week for EWU. This study is released. Then the blown FG call that made national sports news...
I missed this. Link?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:19 pm
I missed this. Link?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:19 pm

I missed this. Link?
:lol: Almost as comical as a spring FB season. :coffee:

So much funny. Love how this happened in the BSC. Also loved how the ref wasn't even looking and was like, "meh, no good". :rofl: