SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: BREAKING NEWS: SUU to Bolt Big Sky for the WAC

Post by SDHornet »

mtjack wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:45 pm
I agree. Id be surprised if Weber considers the WAC. NAU is getting a lot of run on the realignment boards because of geography, but I have a hard time seeing them consider the WAC as well. It is 2020 for a few more days so who knows.
Hey, SDHornet. Which boards are conversing about the realignment. Being an NAU fan, I'm interested in hearing the scuttlebutt.
I peruse the CSNBBS realignment board. The CSNBBS WAC board has stuff too. Careful though, most of the WAC board is just wild speculation with pipedream membership wishes. This SUU thing was the first real news regarding the WAC realignment to give the WAC any real hope of being something other than a holding spot for D2 moveups.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

Thanks, SDHornet. I'll spend some time perusing those sites tonight.

I kinda enjoyed NAU having a somewhat nearby rival in SUU. I hope the schools continue to play in non-conference.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Someone posted a division-based realignment of the Mountain West that included Sac State on the Hornet board. Some Hornet fans felt that to be a bit of a stretch, and it offended my sensibilities. (Most of you know where I stand on "moving up.") I would much rather see the Hornets leading a revival of the old PCAA at the FCS level, mainly as a split of the western half of the Big Sky with the additions of a "drop-down" San Jose State and program resurrections at UOP and one or two SoCal based Big West schools, so as to provide easy OOC scheduling for our western FCS programs. We currently either load up on D-II or FBS OOC games, thereby scheduling ourselves out of the playoffs, or else schedule schools on the other side of the Big Sky for intra-conference "OOC" games, boring to say the least. Most of us can't afford to schedule home-and-homes with, say, the CAA on a regular basis, nice as that would sound.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HOUSTON – Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Jeff Hurd today announced membership invitations issued by the conference's Board of Directors to five universities have been accepted effective July 1, 2022.

Hurd also announced the WAC's intention to reinstate football at the Football Championship Subdivision level beginning with the 2022 season.

Four of the institutions – Abilene Christian University, Lamar University, Sam Houston State University and Stephen F. Austin State University – are in Texas and currently are members of the Southland Conference. The fifth, Southern Utah University, is a member of the Big Sky Conference.
https://www.wacsports.com/general/2020- ... 0113xbg9zk
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm
HOUSTON – Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Jeff Hurd today announced membership invitations issued by the conference's Board of Directors to five universities have been accepted effective July 1, 2022.

Hurd also announced the WAC's intention to reinstate football at the Football Championship Subdivision level beginning with the 2022 season.

Four of the institutions – Abilene Christian University, Lamar University, Sam Houston State University and Stephen F. Austin State University – are in Texas and currently are members of the Southland Conference. The fifth, Southern Utah University, is a member of the Big Sky Conference.
https://www.wacsports.com/general/2020- ... 0113xbg9zk

Just as long as Weber stays put. However what fire was building with the Weber/SUU rivaly just got some water dumped on it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UTRGV adding FCS FB by 2024.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has submitted a letter of intent to begin an FCS football program within five years, according to an email obtained by Texas Football.

UTRGV is targeting the 2023 season to begin a program, but has committed to begin the program by 2024. The news comes on the same day that the Western Athletic Conference is expected to announce the return of football.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... review_img
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Chicago State out. Great news for the WAC.
Chicago– Chicago State University (CSU) announced today it will leave the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in June 2022. CSU joined the WAC in 2013 as a part of a six-university expansion, which included the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC). The WAC's original expansion plan was to develop a Midwest division with Chicago State and UMKC as the anchors. UMKC left the conference in July 2020. Over time, the WAC has added members located in south and western regions of the country.
https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2021/ ... -2022.aspx