Two Near Scalps in Week 2

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Two Near Scalps in Week 2

Post by SuperHornet »

I thought we had one with AR State, but apparently they moved up to FBS awhile back, and are in the bogus Sun Belt.

But Campbell nearly beat recent move-up GA Southern, losing 27-26. And Texas Tech barely beat recent D-II call-up Houston Baptist 35-33. I guess the days of referring to these programs as FCSINOs are over. Wow....

Other FCS-involved scores this week:

West Virginia 56, Eastern Kentucky 10

Pitt 55, Austin Peay 0

Oklahoma 48, SW Missouri State 0

South Florida 27, Citadel 6

So, has COVID depleted Peay THAT much, or is Pitt really that good? Peay didn't look all that good in Week 1, either, with OL conditioning issues. I'm wondering about E KY and SW MO also, though the level of this week's competition (surely a COVID-influenced schedule) probably has something to do with that. Are the playoffs going to be legit this year, or is 2020 already a lost cause?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Two Near Scalps in Week 2

Post by CID1990 »

SuperHornet wrote:I thought we had one with AR State, but apparently they moved up to FBS awhile back, and are in the bogus Sun Belt.

But Campbell nearly beat recent move-up GA Southern, losing 27-26. And Texas Tech barely beat recent D-II call-up Houston Baptist 35-33. I guess the days of referring to these programs as FCSINOs are over. Wow....

Other FCS-involved scores this week:

West Virginia 56, Eastern Kentucky 10

Pitt 55, Austin Peay 0

Oklahoma 48, SW Missouri State 0

South Florida 27, Citadel 6

So, has COVID depleted Peay THAT much, or is Pitt really that good? Peay didn't look all that good in Week 1, either, with OL conditioning issues. I'm wondering about E KY and SW MO also, though the level of this week's competition (surely a COVID-influenced schedule) probably has something to do with that. Are the playoffs going to be legit this year, or is 2020 already a lost cause?
We have no running backs.

A TO team with no running backs is not going to win many ballgames.

Most of our opt-outs were in the backfield, including our all America grad transfer from VMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Georgia Southern was without 33 players. Nuts. I think eventually the FCS will get a scalp because somewhere some FCS team will get knocked down to the level of scholarships less than the FCS max. Well at least we have football.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:39 am Georgia Southern was without 33 players. Nuts. I think eventually the FCS will get a scalp because somewhere some FCS team will get knocked down to the level of scholarships less than the FCS max. Well at least we have football.
Yup, the GSU game was one the FCS team should've won - down 33 players and they still won fairly comfortably. I haven't looked at the schedule, but are there good chances for the FCS to get a win this year with schedules being so less? If anything, this could be the year for the Group of 5 - the FBS conferences that aren't the P5. The big story out of the first real weekend was the Sun Belt going 3-0 against the Big 12. Even have several teams ranked right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Two more near scalps that SHOULD have come to fruition:

UTSA 24, SFA 10

UTEP 17, Abilene Christian 13

Also, Campbell should have had a shot against former Big South foe Coastal Carolina (43-21), but that one wasn't anywhere near as much a "should have got it done" as those other two. The Citadel bit off a bit more than it could chew against FBS #1 Clemson (49-0). While COVID-related schedule scrambling likely has something to say with Austin Peay (now 0-3 after a 55-20 whitewashing at the hands of FBS #14 Cincinnati), they will likely now not come anywhere near the playoffs, as they are now pretty much done....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Props to The Citadel telling Clemson to pound sand when given the opportunity to run shorter quarters after the half.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am Props to The Citadel telling Clemson to pound sand when given the opportunity to run shorter quarters after the half.
Dabo respected it too.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm