HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Time to tell Athletes to Take it or Leave it

Post by HI54UNI »

Column: It’s time for college sports to tell athletes take it or leave it

Group of Pac-12 football players issue list of demands or threaten to boycott season

Eventually, and that moment draws nearer by the day, college athletic administrators need to make a choice:

Are they going to continue backpedaling, or are they going to make a tackle?

Are they going to stand up and stand by their product?

Is enough ever going to be enough?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... yAVWmfp6Y0
Last edited by HI54UNI on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Tim to tell Athletes to Take it or Leave it

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:57 am Column: It’s time for college sports to tell athletes take it or leave it

Group of Pac-12 football players issue list of demands or threaten to boycott season

Eventually, and that moment draws nearer by the day, college athletic administrators need to make a choice:

Are they going to continue backpedaling, or are they going to make a tackle?

Are they going to stand up and stand by their product?

Is enough ever going to be enough?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... yAVWmfp6Y0
Yep. Tell them they din’t like it, don’t let the door hit them in the arse on the way out..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Who is Tim? And why is he telling Athletes to take it or leave it?
:thumb:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am Who is Tim? And why is he telling Athletes to take it or leave it?
Whoops. :oops:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am Who is Tim? And why is he telling Athletes to take it or leave it?
Tim the Enchanter.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Time to tell Athletes to Take it or Leave it

Post by SuperHornet »

This is one reason why I don't like the P5. They've practically got a union going right now. That's not right for college athletics. Give me the Big Sky any day of the week....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Didn't Washington State tell some of those kids they weren't on the team anymore?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:28 am This is one reason why I don't like the P5. They've practically got a union going right now. That's not right for college athletics. Give me the Big Sky any day of the week....
What is your version of college athletics? Athletes just being told what to do and having no voice in decisions regarding their safety, their ability to change their minds on the school they attend, money made off of their images that are far in excess of the value of the education they are receiving, and so on? Why is that a good thing?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
VandalBasher

Post by VandalBasher »

What is your version of college athletics? Athletes just being told what to do and having no voice in decisions regarding their safety, their ability to change their minds on the school they attend, money made off of their images that are far in excess of the value of the education they are receiving, and so on? Why is that a good thing?
[/quote]

Actually, players have a choice. There is no requirement to play. But, young men should live up to what they signed up for. These are good lessons to teach a young man. To allow them to get out of their responsibilities doesn't teach them anything for their lives.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

VandalBasher wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm But, young men should live up to what they signed up for. These are good lessons to teach a young man. To allow them to get out of their responsibilities doesn't teach them anything for their lives.
It teaches them how to be a coach... :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

VandalBasher wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm What is your version of college athletics? Athletes just being told what to do and having no voice in decisions regarding their safety, their ability to change their minds on the school they attend, money made off of their images that are far in excess of the value of the education they are receiving, and so on? Why is that a good thing?
Actually, players have a choice. There is no requirement to play. But, young men should live up to what they signed up for. These are good lessons to teach a young man. To allow them to get out of their responsibilities doesn't teach them anything for their lives.
[/quote]

They have little to no leverage to change the system outside of it. Their biggest time of having power is when they are players. Nothing wrong with trying to change the system, for the better mind you, from within.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm
VandalBasher wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm What is your version of college athletics? Athletes just being told what to do and having no voice in decisions regarding their safety, their ability to change their minds on the school they attend, money made off of their images that are far in excess of the value of the education they are receiving, and so on? Why is that a good thing?
They have little to no leverage to change the system outside of it. Their biggest time of having power is when they are players. Nothing wrong with trying to change the system, for the better mind you, from within.
[/quote]

The debate is whether their requests actually DO that.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:03 pm
GannonFan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

The debate is whether their requests actually DO that.
[/quote]

I agree, but that's not what VandalBasher was saying - he was saying if you don't like the system don't participate in it, and once you sign onto it then be quiet and move on. I disagree with that.

To your point, I'm not sure college athletics will be better with a de facto players union or profit sharing or whatever else they come up with. Change isn't always good (or bad) so w'ell have to see.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Colleges and universities should be able to dictate the rules to their athletes just as they do any other student. What we have now is a system that makes fake students out of athletes ... many of whom don’t want to be on campus in the first place.

I say if the big schools want to continue this parody, then they should ditch the NCAA and go their own way... pay the players, and get rid of the facade that these kids are students first and athletes second. Create a league of university-sponsored professional football and play amongst themselves. They’re already 85% of the way there anyway.

For colleges and universities that wish to continue with the student-athlete model, a separate league that maintains the current rules. And never the twain shall meet.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris