Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: SHOULD NDSU GET TF OUTTA FCS?

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:
kalm wrote:
Those who won FCS championships two decades ago are in agreement.

Noted.
Tell us with a straight face that you're as excited for 2020 as you were for 2011 or 2012. Or 2013. Dare ya.
Two FCS power conference OOC games on the new red turf in September (we rarely get September DI home games), plus home games against Montana, Weber, and the Cats also at home. Seeing if Nicholls, APSU and SAC can sustain success. Can anyone topple the evil empire. Best group of coaches the Big Sky has ever seen. More football from across the nation on TV.

Yes...yes I am.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JBB wrote:
You're just a low IQ troll who even your own fan base distances itself from.
Talking about yourself again?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I agree Kalm. The FCS field is strong as ever. NDSU is leading the way with their all-time winning streak. There are lots of teams in the mix. Lots of new faces. NDSU with 8 titles has only been around 15 years. One favorite of mine is Kennesaw State.

Some old hands still chip away at the stone. UNI is as good as ever. Their fans are even starting to throw a little shade on The Herd
by UNI88 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:26 pm
I'm cautiously optimistic about 2020. I think UNI might have the best chance of all FCS of knocking Humpty off the wall.
Should be a great year.

Don’t forget the huge FBS match-ups led by NDSU @ Oregon.

Will The BISON* break 41 picking up #9 doing it.

If The BISON beat Oregon tickets will be flying off the shelf to see the spectacle of BISON football breaking the longest winning streak in the history of the college game.

Drake and N Carolina A&T will be #39 & #40 at the Fabulous Fargo Dome.

UNI on September 26 in Cedar Falls for #41.

Illinois State for Homecoming Oct 3 will be #42

Go Bison!!!

*caps mine
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

kalm wrote:
Silenoz wrote: Tell us with a straight face that you're as excited for 2020 as you were for 2011 or 2012. Or 2013. Dare ya.
Two FCS power conference OOC games on the new red turf in September (we rarely get September DI home games), plus home games against Montana, Weber, and the Cats also at home. Seeing if Nicholls, APSU and SAC can sustain success. Can anyone topple the evil empire. Best group of coaches the Big Sky has ever seen. More football from across the nation on TV.

Yes...yes I am.
I don't believe you. You may be looking forward to the season, but there is a difference between curiosity over how Austin Peay does, and the excitement over thinking you can make a championship run.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:
kalm wrote:

Yes...yes I am.
I don't believe you. You may be looking forward to the season, but there is a difference between curiosity over how Austin Peay does, and the excitement over thinking you can make a championship run.
I thought this was about FCS as a whole and just my team? :?

Or for that matter, one year.

One of my most pleasant memories ever was watching a 2-8 EWU punish ISU in a driving rainstorm at the end of the 2006 season. It was Matt Nichol’s breakthrough game as a rs freshman and laid some ground work for what was about to come. Me and my buddies were the last to leave P12, throwing the ball around then walking up the hill behind the stadium to watch the sun go down. A lot of fun on a late November day that finished the season with some hope towards next year.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote:1. Don't have a conference invite
2. Don't have a big enough stadium
3. Don't have enough money for the move
4. EWU has been very competitive with NDSU, why don't they move up?

FCS is better than it's ever been. Ursus posted the Massey all-time top 30 on AGS. 9 of the top 14 teams are from 2011 to present, with 2 runner-ups from that era making the list. The runner-ups are rated higher than 3 GSU and 2 App St champions. Only 4 schools on the list moved to FBS.

Ursus Massy List Link
Your 1-3 reasons on the list is why I voted "no", with reason 1 being the biggest hurdle.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

kalm wrote:
Silenoz wrote: I don't believe you. You may be looking forward to the season, but there is a difference between curiosity over how Austin Peay does, and the excitement over thinking you can make a championship run.
You can plug in any team there, it doesn't matter. Hell, it comes out in every Bobcat fan I talk to. They'll have their highest preseason ranking in 30 years, but you wouldn't know it from talking to them. They're more excited about 5 straight over the Griz than a championship run because they already know how that's gonna go.

There will always be stuff to look forward to in an upcoming season, but all championship drama is gone.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:
kalm wrote:
You can plug in any team there, it doesn't matter. Hell, it comes out in every Bobcat fan I talk to. They'll have their highest preseason ranking in 30 years, but you wouldn't know it from talking to them. They're more excited about 5 straight over the Griz than a championship run because they already know how that's gonna go.

There will always be stuff to look forward to in an upcoming season, but all championship drama is gone.
“All Championship drama is gone” is...well dramatic. ;) “Championship drama is down” is a decent argument. It’s the old ‘are dynasties a positive or negative’ thing. But it’s still a different question than whether or not FCS as a whole is down.

There are around 100 programs without much of a shot at the championship before the season ever starts. You would say that number is 126 (or whatever the number of teams is.) That’s your best argument which again is a different one to what we’ve been discussing.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Gone I say!

And yes, I have been harping on the uneven level of FCS for decades. I found it endlessly annoying that only like 10 box scores mattered every week. Now it's more like... 1

Down is also relative. I one of the people that firmly believe that refined schemes and bigger stronger players, and better recruiting technology mean the sport overall gets "better" in some sense at all levels, throughout the decades. Teams from the 2000s were unquestionably better than teams from the 1960s. Teams from the 2010s are unquestionably better than teams from the 1970s.

When I say it's down, I mean the level itself sucks to watch or follow. You have 1 program that probably belongs in the B12 that is running a train on everyone. You have 2-3 other programs that have the facilities, support, FCOA, and cash to maybe challenge team #1. Then you have the dozen or two other programs that have the potential to do something, but they're either hemorrhaging cash, have no support, have no interest, or already bolted to FBS.

Then you have everyone else, just going through the motions, because no one cares.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

:lol: The BISON have ruined FCS for you. Too Bad.

You have had the stuffing knocked out of you.

The most important thing now for all of the FCS and college football in general in "The Streak". A 184 year-old record is on the line and Oregon stands between NDSU and the brass ring.

Oregon vs The Bison. The biggest game of the year in the college ranks. The last great obstacle. If the BISON win the rest is in the bag. After Oregon the rest of the way to 42 are tomato cans. The oldest record in the books is in danger of falling.

Go BISON!!!
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JBB wrote::lol: The BISON have ruined FCS for you. Too Bad.

The most important thing now for all of the FCS and college football in general in "The Streak". A 184 year-old record is on the line and Oregon stands between NDSU and the brass ring.

Oregon vs The Bison. The biggest game of the year in the college ranks. The last great obstacle. If the BISON win the rest is in the bag. After Oregon the rest of the way to 42 are tomato cans. The oldest record in the books is in danger of falling.

Go BISON!!!
Really? Sure the bizumb have more football name recognition than most other FCS schools but they're still a pimple on a gnat's azz when compared to Bama, Clemson, TOSU, etc.

Your doctors might need to cut back on your meds.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

I just don't understand why the bison would keep doing so well. Seriously who the fuck wants to live in Fargo. The winters are terrible. Snow on the ground becomes a blizzard because the wind is so strong. Flat lands are dumb.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

UNI88 wrote:

Go BISON!!!
Really? Sure the bizumb have more football name recognition than most other FCS schools but they're still a pimple on a gnat's azz when compared to Bama, Clemson, TOSU, etc.

Your doctors might need to cut back on your meds.
UNI41 a good name for you.

UNI is set to be the patsy for 41. Oregon is #38, the big obstacle. “The Streak” is the most formadble in college football. 41 for 41 in Cedar Falls.

The Bison will have to throttle it back from the 46-14 rout this year. Hope they can keep it down to 41 don’t you? It will look good in the record book 41 for 41 or as the T-shirt says 41-4-41.

Will The Bison use the fake punt? Ask your pal “Fake Punt 89”. He has dedicated his life to it. Just like rock n roll he will never forget. Holds a grudge for ever he says. Claims he likes nice people.

UNI41, a good name for you. You and “fake punt 89” will be able to talk about those great Bison moments.

Old uni41 and Fake Punt 89 talkin some Bison football. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Maybe somebody better start a poll on the following pertinent question: Should JBB get TF outta CS?
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Go BISON!!!
Meh, it is ruined, but that's okay. It's a game played by teenagers, that I have fun following as a lark. It's not serious business.

You on the other hand, are clearly beyond help, in many, many ways. It's probably for the best that you have a rock like NDSU to lean on :thumb:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

I did make $2,095 enjoying the game. Not many if the players were teenagers though. :?

To sum up:

Sorry the success of another program has depressed and angered you and some of the others. I guess you find as much joy in watching the kids play a game as you get frustrated by it? Most Bison fans understand and I have explained why.

Certainly I enjoy The BISON, almost as much as some enjoy denigrating them.

CHAPTER 1:

You get as good as you give, better in fact. Between protecting myself against the barrage of insults and demonstrating how to make money every week I believe you could have learned a lot about understanding what will unfold on the field Saturdays in the fall.

In fact, I told all of you about this years ago.

NDSU is the best football program in the history of the college game. They are good at football like Facebook and google are good at the internet. There is nothing like it. The only thing keeping them from dominating the college game at every level is resources. With half of the Ohio State budget LSU would be an also-ran behind the Bison.

CHAPTER 2:

Institutions can fail, monuments to success can crumble Detroit and Sears show us that, but this is the age of The BISON. If you can’t stand that don’t tweek the noses of those that do appreciate it enjoying the ride as much as anyone.

Besides, this is a football board, get over your “This is life” orientation and focus a little better.

CHAPTER 3:

The Bison are an FCS program because they fit the profile of FCS schools. They were no longer looking like a D2 school when that division pulled in its boundaries. They need money, stadium, supporting facilities to challenge the top FBS programs week after week but they can compete week by week with anyone they have played.

Oregon is next. The FCS gets a week off. If The Bison return to Fargo victorious #39 & #40 will be at home. UNI41 will be able to enjoy the big game in Cedar Falls. 41-4-41.

#42 in Fargo. Illinois State for the record.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Vidav wrote:I just want to go on the record that I agree completely with 93 and 89.

Okay back to lurking.
Smart man. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:I thought this was about FCS as a whole and just my team? :?
Very interesting coming from you kalm. I'm going to assume you meant to say 'not just my team'?
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

JBB wrote:Ramblings of an autist
Yep
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Vidav wrote:
kalm wrote:
Those who won FCS championships two decades ago are in agreement.

Noted.
My thought is more that having one team win nearly every championship for a decade means the league is down as a whole. If FCS was up then there would be some competition.

Also just saying, App winning 3 in a row was exciting. NDSU winning like 45 in a row is boring. It makes it hard to care about FCS apart from my team. It is to the point that once Montana is out I stop watching because I just don't care.
This guy nailed it! Am I looking forward to the 2020 season? Yes, but if Eastern is out.... meh :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

BlackFalkin wrote:
Vidav wrote:
My thought is more that having one team win nearly every championship for a decade means the league is down as a whole. If FCS was up then there would be some competition.

Also just saying, App winning 3 in a row was exciting. NDSU winning like 45 in a row is boring. It makes it hard to care about FCS apart from my team. It is to the point that once Montana is out I stop watching because I just don't care.
This guy nailed it! Am I looking forward to the 2020 season? Yes, but if Eastern is out.... meh :coffee:
Only thing BF and I have agreed on. :?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
Vidav wrote:I just want to go on the record that I agree completely with 93 and 89.

Okay back to lurking.
Smart man. :thumb:
89 will defend to the death your right to agree with him.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: Smart man. :thumb:
89 will defend to the death your right to agree with him.
This cracked me up. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Not going anywhere for a while. Highlights from a poll of North Dakotan's.

Poll Link

Turns out, 48% of the survey respondents who identified NDSU football as their favorite team want the Bison to stay FCS while 27% want them to move up to FBS. Again, a surprisingly high figure of 21% said they don't care.

UND hockey fans much more strongly support Bison football moving to FBS, with 40% of them saying NDSU should make the move while 22% say it should stay in FCS. Significantly, 37% say they don't care.

Of the 18 crosstabs Mitchell formulated based on gender, age, education, region, political party identification and favorite teams, only one other group supported a Bison move to FBS with a plurality. Residents of western cities (Bismarck, Mandan, Minot) said NDSU should move up by a margin of 41% to 34%.

Democrats surveyed favored FBS over FCS by a 34% to 25% margin, but a plurality of 42% said they don't care. Dems in North Dakota have bigger things about which to worry.

The poll is strictly water-cooler and social media grist because NDSU has shown no interest in moving to FBS, with school president Dean Bresciani and athletic director Matt Larsen saying FCS is the Bison's "sweet spot."

More important, no FBS conferences are known to be interested in NDSU. For the Bison to potentially make a move up, a higher-level conference would have to invite them to join and mid-major leagues like the Mountain West, Mid-American, Sun Belt, American Athletic and Conference USA have not come calling.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote:Not going anywhere for a while. Highlights from a poll of North Dakotan's.

Poll Link

Turns out, 48% of the survey respondents who identified NDSU football as their favorite team want the Bison to stay FCS while 27% want them to move up to FBS. Again, a surprisingly high figure of 21% said they don't care.

UND hockey fans much more strongly support Bison football moving to FBS, with 40% of them saying NDSU should make the move while 22% say it should stay in FCS. Significantly, 37% say they don't care.

Of the 18 crosstabs Mitchell formulated based on gender, age, education, region, political party identification and favorite teams, only one other group supported a Bison move to FBS with a plurality. Residents of western cities (Bismarck, Mandan, Minot) said NDSU should move up by a margin of 41% to 34%.

Democrats surveyed favored FBS over FCS by a 34% to 25% margin, but a plurality of 42% said they don't care. Dems in North Dakota have bigger things about which to worry.

The poll is strictly water-cooler and social media grist because NDSU has shown no interest in moving to FBS, with school president Dean Bresciani and athletic director Matt Larsen saying FCS is the Bison's "sweet spot."

More important, no FBS conferences are known to be interested in NDSU. For the Bison to potentially make a move up, a higher-level conference would have to invite them to join and mid-major leagues like the Mountain West, Mid-American, Sun Belt, American Athletic and Conference USA have not come calling.
And that's as legitimate answer as is needed to stay. :nod: