55%

Total votes: 22

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: SHOULD NDSU GET TF OUTTA FCS?

Post by Winterborn »

Vidav wrote:I just don't understand why the bison would keep doing so well. Seriously who the fuck wants to live in Fargo. The winters are terrible. Snow on the ground becomes a blizzard because the wind is so strong. Flat lands are dumb.
:tothehand: :tothehand:

I happen to enjoy it here in the flat lands. Yes, it would be nice to have some hills, but overall I enjoy the wide open spaces. The winds are strong and I would agree that smelling what the Candian's are cooking about 2 hours after they do it is a bit annoying.

Terrible winters keep most of the riff-raf away and I happen to like a good blizzard in which you are stuck for a couple of days afterwards. Gives a person time to putter around in the shop, drink beer and play cards.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote:
Vidav wrote:I just don't understand why the bison would keep doing so well. Seriously who the fuck wants to live in Fargo. The winters are terrible. Snow on the ground becomes a blizzard because the wind is so strong. Flat lands are dumb.

I happen to enjoy it here in the flat lands. Yes, it would be nice to have some hills, but overall I enjoy the wide open spaces. The winds are strong and I would agree that smelling what the Candian's are cooking about 2 hours after they do it is a bit annoying.

Terrible winters keep most of the riff-raf away and I happen to like a good blizzard in which you are stuck for a couple of days afterwards. Gives a person time to putter around in the shop, drink beer and play cards.
Played a lot of poker and Pinochle during the North Dakota winters.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Played a lot of poker and Pinochle during the North Dakota winters.
Rummy, Pinochle, and Gin were our go-to's.

Played Whist a few times with the grandparents and got cleaned out. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

You gambling against your Grandpa? You gotta know going in that that's dumb. Grandpas can be sneaky....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SuperHornet wrote:You gambling against your Grandpa? You gotta know going in that that's dumb. Grandpas can be sneaky....
Can be? :lol:

He was giving me an early lesson in life and the school of hard knocks. If you aren't good, you better be crafty. :thumb:

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Gil Dobie wrote:Not going anywhere for a while. Highlights from a poll of North Dakotan's.

Poll Link

Turns out, 48% of the survey respondents who identified NDSU football as their favorite team want the Bison to stay FCS while 27% want them to move up to FBS. Again, a surprisingly high figure of 21% said they don't care.

UND hockey fans much more strongly support Bison football moving to FBS, with 40% of them saying NDSU should make the move while 22% say it should stay in FCS. Significantly, 37% say they don't care.

Of the 18 crosstabs Mitchell formulated based on gender, age, education, region, political party identification and favorite teams, only one other group supported a Bison move to FBS with a plurality. Residents of western cities (Bismarck, Mandan, Minot) said NDSU should move up by a margin of 41% to 34%.

Democrats surveyed favored FBS over FCS by a 34% to 25% margin, but a plurality of 42% said they don't care. Dems in North Dakota have bigger things about which to worry.

The poll is strictly water-cooler and social media grist because NDSU has shown no interest in moving to FBS, with school president Dean Bresciani and athletic director Matt Larsen saying FCS is the Bison's "sweet spot."

More important, no FBS conferences are known to be interested in NDSU. For the Bison to potentially make a move up, a higher-level conference would have to invite them to join and mid-major leagues like the Mountain West, Mid-American, Sun Belt, American Athletic and Conference USA have not come calling.
It’s the “sweet spot” because they’ve won 8 titles in 9 years. I think the MWC might be Boise State’s “sweet spot” too, doesn’t mean they didn’t miss a huge opportunity when the PAC 12 expanded. It also doesn’t mean they aren’t missing out on whats most precious to every CF player, and what’s most important to every athletic department: a National Championship at the highest level, and the $108 million that comes with it.
NDSU has had way more success in FCS football than Boise State, but Boise State brings in more money, and has a much more significant national presence.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:You gambling against your Grandpa? You gotta know going in that that's dumb. Grandpas can be sneaky....

He was giving me an early lesson in life and the school of hard knocks. If you aren't good, you better be crafty. :thumb:
Those old gritty Scandinavian grandpas from the Dakotas were good at teaching you about hunting, fishing, working on the railroad, gambling, cursing, and snoose...all the important things.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

ITT: Mediocre programs debates the merits of actual successful programs leaving the subdivision so they can relive their heyday with faux accolades. :coffee:
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

DSUrocks07 wrote:ITT: Mediocre programs debates the merits of actual successful programs leaving the subdivision so they can relive their heyday with faux accolades. :coffee:
“programs debates merits...”

:ohno: :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
Winterborn wrote:

Those old gritty German grandpas from the Dakotas were good at teaching you about hunting, fishing, working on the railroad, gambling, cursing, women, and snoose...all the important things.
Slight edit, but overall correct. :thumb: :D

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I wonder about the motivation behind both perspectives
"The FCS is down"
and
"The FCS is better than ever"

I'm inclined to go with - it's the same as it ever was...
with a few great teams / a few darn good teams / and a bunch of mediocre teams

Same as it ever was...
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote:I wonder about the motivation behind both perspectives
"The FCS is down"
and

Same as it ever was...
And you may find yourself
In another part of the world
And you may find yourself
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

"The FCS is down"
and
Seriously? The teams that are up right now think it's the best it's ever been, the teams that are down think it's down. However, the second group has far more unattached posters on their side. Just sayin. :ugeek:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
"The FCS is down"
and
Seriously? The teams that are up right now think it's the best it's ever been, the teams that are down think it's down. However, the second group has far more unattached posters on their side. Just sayin. :ugeek:
:roll: Delaware, Montana? And of course App St and GSU are going to say it's down without them.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

"The FCS is down"
and

Same as it ever was...
Sure. But let me fix that for you...

[...]with one all-time great team / a few darn good teams / and a bunch of shit teams
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Seriously? The teams that are up right now think it's the best it's ever been, the teams that are down think it's down. However, the second group has far more unattached posters on their side. Just sayin. :ugeek:
:roll: Delaware, Montana? And of course App St and GSU are going to say it's down without them.
I know there were a couple of UNI fans and others. Of course you do have JBB on your side which adds a lot of credibility.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Silenoz wrote:
"The FCS is down"
and

Same as it ever was...
Sure. But let me fix that for you...

[...]with one all-time great team / a few darn good teams / and a bunch of shit teams
NDSU has absolutely proven they are special
but if you delete them from the conversation

Kinda like remove no. 1 and remove No. 236
and then factor your remainder on a performance scale
add to that
The same number of players are getting selected in the draft
and the same number are getting invited to practice squads

I don't see much difference...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:The same number of players are getting selected in the draft
Please show your work.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:The same number of players are getting selected in the draft
Please show your work.
What... are you retarded or something?
Want me to hold your hand when you go pee pee too?

https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/fcs-dr ... -2018-ajaj

YEAR TOTAL PICKS 1ST RD DAY 2
1993 17 2 2
1994 22 1 3
1995 22 1 4
1996 29 0 9
1997 27 2 5
1998 17 0 4
1999 27 0 4
2000 21 2 3
2001 16 0 1
2002 18 0 3
2003 12 0 5
2004 15 0 3
2005 16 0 4
2006 15 0 5
2007 18 0 4
2008 21 2 3
2009 17 0 6
2010 17 1 1
2011 19 0 3
2012 14 0 1
2013 16 0 2
2014 17 0 3
2015 17 0 2
2016 20 1 3
2017 15 0 5
2018 19 0 4
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: Please show your work.
What... are you retarded or something?
Want me to hold your hand when you go pee pee too?
Wow, how un-PC of you to use the R word. :ugeek:

Can we summarize this a little better...

1990's = 23.0 per year, 0.857 first rounders per year
2000's = 16.9 per year, 0.4 first rounders per year
2010's = 17.1 per year, 0.222 first rounders per year

Yup, no difference there. :lol:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

Or, you can spin it that it has been the same for 20 years.

Bet you weren't posting in 2003, 2004 and 2010 that the FCS was in such awful shape.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote:Or, you can spin it that it has been the same for 20 years.

Bet you weren't posting in 2003, 2004 and 2010 that the FCS was in such awful shape.
No, I wasn't.

You're assuming that I think number of draft picks is a good indicator of the strength of the division. I do not. But it was Cleets that made a false claim, so I called him out on it and hopefully he mans up like Bill Clinton to admit his mistake.

To put stock in number of NFL players is folly at best. I'd be willing to wager you that from the start of I-AA through the mid 90's, the MEAC and SWAC put more players in the NFL than any other conferences in I-AA. Yet those conferences were the bottom of the barrel as evidenced by their horrific playoff records (SWAC was something like 0-17 before they voluntarily removed themselves from the playoffs).

The fact is that I have been posting about I-AA football since 1995, so I've been around the block and I can see what's what.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

89Hen wrote:
vutomcat wrote:Or, you can spin it that it has been the same for 20 years.

No, I wasn't.

You're assuming that I think number of draft picks is a good indicator of the strength of the division. I do not. But it was Cleets that made a false claim, so I called him out on it and hopefully he mans up like Bill Clinton to admit his mistake.

To put stock in number of NFL players is folly at best. I'd be willing to wager you that from the start of I-AA through the mid 90's, the MEAC and SWAC put more players in the NFL than any other conferences in I-AA. Yet those conferences were the bottom of the barrel as evidenced by their horrific playoff records (SWAC was something like 0-17 before they voluntarily removed themselves from the playoffs).

The fact is that I have been posting about I-AA football since 1995, so I've been around the block and I can see what's what.

It's only one indicator. Not folly, for sure.

You missed my point though. Delaware had very good teams in the years I included in my post. You were happy as a clam with the level of competition i'm sure. Doesn't make you a bad guy.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote:
89Hen wrote: No, I wasn't.

It's only one indicator. Not folly, for sure.

You missed my point though. Delaware had very good teams in the years I included in my post. You were happy as a clam with the level of competition i'm sure. Doesn't make you a bad guy.
:lol: Maybe you're unable to separate your fandom for your team from the larger group, but I can. :geek:

It was that Delaware was very good, it was that there were MANY good teams. I often found myself with an abundance of teams to consider for the AGS Poll. Today, once I get past 5-6, the rest look like crap and I have a hard time finding 25 teams to rank.

And it is folly. The SWAC/MEAC example proves that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Players on NFL rosters:

Delaware - 9
North Dakota State - 6
South Carolina State - 6
Ferris State - 5*
Grambling - 4
Assumption - 3*
Weber State - 3
Montana - 1

Meaningless

* (yes, I know they're not I-AA but they caught my eye)