Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:We are not getting anywhere towards changing anyone's mind.
That doesn't concern me. I can only lead a horse to water.

The numbers speak for themselves.
Image
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

I guess we do have to keep in mind that Gil is an NDSU fan and he may see this as a shot at the Bizen. Gil, it's not. The Bizen are the best team in I-AA since Marshall and it's not close. I'm convinced they'd still have multiple championships even if I-AA were better today. BUT, the division is weaker today than it was a decade ago. I simply can't understand how anyone could argue differently.

The fact that you and Clam refuse to answer my question of whether the MVFC would be stronger, weaker or the same without NDSU, tells me all I need to know. You're either fishing, being contrarian, or just dumb. 8-)
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48438
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:I guess we do have to keep in mind that Gil is an NDSU fan and he may see this as a shot at the Bizen. Gil, it's not. The Bizen are the best team in I-AA since Marshall and it's not close. I'm convinced they'd still have multiple championships even if I-AA were better today. BUT, the division is weaker today than it was a decade ago. I simply can't understand how anyone could argue differently.

The fact that you and Clam refuse to answer my question of whether the MVFC would be stronger, weaker or the same without NDSU, tells me all I need to know. You're either fishing, being contrarian, or just dumb. 8-)
They’re an extraordinary outlier and of course it would be weaker at least for awhile. Not a great argument though. It would be like saying is FCS weaker because it replaced Georgia with NDSU?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:I guess we do have to keep in mind that Gil is an NDSU fan and he may see this as a shot at the Bizen. Gil, it's not. The Bizen are the best team in I-AA since Marshall and it's not close. I'm convinced they'd still have multiple championships even if I-AA were better today. BUT, the division is weaker today than it was a decade ago. I simply can't understand how anyone could argue differently.

The fact that you and Clam refuse to answer my question of whether the MVFC would be stronger, weaker or the same without NDSU, tells me all I need to know. You're either fishing, being contrarian, or just dumb. 8-)
They’re an extraordinary outlier and of course it would be weaker at least for awhile. Not a great argument though. It would be like saying is FCS weaker because it replaced Georgia with NDSU?
So removing the top team makes them weaker. At least we can agree on that. :thumb: And correct that we whittled it down to the most extreme case. The best team in I-AA and removing them from a conference of 10 teams does make it easier to see. But it makes it no less valid when we talk about removing a team with three straight NC's, another team that was in the Top 5-10 for years upon years, another team that was ranked almost every year of their existence, and so on.... Making room for a UC Davis to finally make the playoffs doesn't mean that UC Davis is now somehow as good or better than AppSt was, or that GSU was, etc...

BTW, if you replaced Georgia with NDSU tomorrow, I-A is weaker. Just not by as much as the other two examples above.
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
They’re an extraordinary outlier and of course it would be weaker at least for awhile. Not a great argument though. It would be like saying is FCS weaker because it replaced Georgia with NDSU?
So removing the top team makes them weaker. At least we can agree on that. :thumb: And correct that we whittled it down to the most extreme case. The best team in I-AA and removing them from a conference of 10 teams does make it easier to see. But it makes it no less valid when we talk about removing a team with three straight NC's, another team that was in the Top 5-10 for years upon years, another team that was ranked almost every year of their existence, and so on.... Making room for a UC Davis to finally make the playoffs doesn't mean that UC Davis is now somehow as good or better than AppSt was, or that GSU was, etc...

BTW, if you replaced Georgia with NDSU tomorrow, I-A is weaker. Just not by as much as the other two examples above.
Key word is Temporary. Sure, nobody is winning titles because NDSU is on a special run, but other teams are stepping in and replacing the teams that have left. North Alabama just starting FCS this year, could be one of those powers one day, just as they were in DII. South Dakota St has stepped up, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston had a run, EWU is still strong, replacing the Mighty Griz. Coastal had 2 good years in FCS, ODU none and 1 good year since they left. UMass is drowning in FBS, GSU is up and down, same with WKU. App St is the only one doing good in FBS.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: So removing the top team makes them weaker. At least we can agree on that. :thumb: And correct that we whittled it down to the most extreme case. The best team in I-AA and removing them from a conference of 10 teams does make it easier to see. But it makes it no less valid when we talk about removing a team with three straight NC's, another team that was in the Top 5-10 for years upon years, another team that was ranked almost every year of their existence, and so on.... Making room for a UC Davis to finally make the playoffs doesn't mean that UC Davis is now somehow as good or better than AppSt was, or that GSU was, etc...

BTW, if you replaced Georgia with NDSU tomorrow, I-A is weaker. Just not by as much as the other two examples above.
Key word is Temporary. Sure, nobody is winning titles because NDSU is on a special run, but other teams are stepping in and replacing the teams that have left. North Alabama just starting FCS this year, could be one of those powers one day, just as they were in DII. South Dakota St has stepped up, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston had a run, EWU is still strong, replacing the Mighty Griz. Coastal had 2 good years in FCS, ODU none and 1 good year since they left. UMass is drowning in FBS, GSU is up and down, same with WKU. App St is the only one doing good in FBS.
Man, you're all over the place.

First, how a team is doing in I-A has zero point zero to do with anything we're talking about. How they were while in I-AA is all that matters.

Saying that SDSU, JSU, SHSU have "stepped up" is what is really up for discussion. If you take a cupful of water out of a puddle, the rest of the puddle will fill the void, but the puddle isn't as big as it was. If teams like Albany, Indiana State, Sacramento State, SFA... were the ones moving up, I would agree with you that they are easy to replace with start-ups or move-up. But when you take out the big cups, the puddle is much smaller than if you took out a couple of shot glasses.

Finally, the key word being temporary implies I said that word. I did not.
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Key word is Temporary. Sure, nobody is winning titles because NDSU is on a special run, but other teams are stepping in and replacing the teams that have left. North Alabama just starting FCS this year, could be one of those powers one day, just as they were in DII. South Dakota St has stepped up, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston had a run, EWU is still strong, replacing the Mighty Griz. Coastal had 2 good years in FCS, ODU none and 1 good year since they left. UMass is drowning in FBS, GSU is up and down, same with WKU. App St is the only one doing good in FBS.
Man, you're all over the place.

First, how a team is doing in I-A has zero point zero to do with anything we're talking about. How they were while in I-AA is all that matters.

Saying that SDSU, JSU, SHSU have "stepped up" is what is really up for discussion. If you take a cupful of water out of a puddle, the rest of the puddle will fill the void, but the puddle isn't as big as it was. If teams like Albany, Indiana State, Sacramento State, SFA... were the ones moving up, I would agree with you that they are easy to replace with start-ups or move-up. But when you take out the big cups, the puddle is much smaller than if you took out a couple of shot glasses.

Finally, the key word being temporary implies I said that word. I did not.
Kalm said temporary during this discussion.

How a team does after they leave FCS pertains to the people saying that these schools were taking FCS recruits with them. First of all, they should be recruiting FBS recruits and second, most are not even performing at a top level FCS level, after moving to FBS.

If you take a cupful of water out of a puddle, it opens room for a cupful of water from the DII puddle. Since 2000, the MVFC, for example, has added 4 DII schools. Is the MVFC better now or 10 years ago? On the other hand the Southern Conference lost GSU and Appy, they would not be as good.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:How a team does after they leave FCS pertains to the people saying that these schools were taking FCS recruits with them. First of all, they should be recruiting FBS recruits and second, most are not even performing at a top level FCS level, after moving to FBS.

If you take a cupful of water out of a puddle, it opens room for a cupful of water from the DII puddle. Since 2000, the MVFC, for example, has added 4 DII schools. Is the MVFC better now or 10 years ago? On the other hand the Southern Conference lost GSU and Appy, they would not be as good.
They are taking I-AA recruits with them and adding to their numbers. The fact that they may not be competitive in I-A is because the competition in I-A is better. As much as we love our I-AA "upsets" over I-A's... they are just that... upsets. NDSU is probably the only team in I-AA that might have a winning record if this year they played a MAC or SunBelt schedule. There were 7 wins this year and only 1 against a recent move-up (Maine over WKU). The other of the recent move ups...

AppSt 72 - Gardner Webb 7
GaSo 37 - SCSt 7
GaSt 24 - Kennesaw 20 (KSU very highly ranked and GaSt sucks... only one other win)
Troy 59 - FAMU 7
Liberty 48 - Idaho St 41
UMass 63 - Duquesne 15 (one of UMass' four wins and a Duquesne team that just won a playoff game)
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:How a team does after they leave FCS pertains to the people saying that these schools were taking FCS recruits with them. First of all, they should be recruiting FBS recruits and second, most are not even performing at a top level FCS level, after moving to FBS.

If you take a cupful of water out of a puddle, it opens room for a cupful of water from the DII puddle. Since 2000, the MVFC, for example, has added 4 DII schools. Is the MVFC better now or 10 years ago? On the other hand the Southern Conference lost GSU and Appy, they would not be as good.
They are taking I-AA recruits with them and adding to their numbers. The fact that they may not be competitive in I-A is because the competition in I-A is better. As much as we love our I-AA "upsets" over I-A's... they are just that... upsets. NDSU is probably the only team in I-AA that might have a winning record if this year they played a MAC or SunBelt schedule. There were 7 wins this year and only 1 against a recent move-up (Maine over WKU). The other of the recent move ups...

AppSt 72 - Gardner Webb 7
GaSo 37 - SCSt 7
GaSt 24 - Kennesaw 20 (KSU very highly ranked and GaSt sucks... only one other win)
Troy 59 - FAMU 7
Liberty 48 - Idaho St 41
UMass 63 - Duquesne 15 (one of UMass' four wins and a Duquesne team that just won a playoff game)
Just not a large enough sample size to prove I-AA is down. SDSU is having their best year ever. If you compare decades 2000-2009 and 2010-present, here is a random sample of some of the better schools from each decade. I can see why you think FCS is down, most of the traditional ECB teams are down. The MVFC has a lot of teams that are up, so I don't view it as FCS as a whole, being up or down over the past few years of this decade. Different teams are becoming FCS powers, and yes, probably temporarily.

Cal Poly Down
Delaware Down
EIU - Same
Elon - Down
EWU - Up
Furman - Down
Ill St - Up
JMU - Up
JSU - Up
Lehigh - Down
Maine - Down
McNeese St - Down
Montana - Down
Montana St - Up
NDSU - Up
Nova - Down
Richmond - Down
SDSU - Up
Sam Houston - Up
SIU - Down
UC Davis - Down
UNH - Down
UNI - Up
Weber St - Down
WIU - Up
Wofford - Same
Youngstown - Up
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

I don't care if the names change. That doesn't mean squat to me, so stop trying to imply that. :tothehand:

The FACT remains that several of the TOP teams in I-AA left. You don't recover from that in two or three years.

And I'm not sure why a few of these teams you consider up or down. YSU, WIU, UNI, Elon, etc...? :suspicious:

Maybe you're just too new to I-AA to get it.
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:I don't care if the names change. That doesn't mean squat to me, so stop trying to imply that. :tothehand:

The FACT remains that several of the TOP teams in I-AA left. You don't recover from that in two or three years.

And I'm not sure why a few of these teams you consider up or down. YSU, WIU, UNI, Elon, etc...? :suspicious:

Maybe you're just too new to I-AA to get it.
That's why I told 93, it's time for a Spotted Cow. Both sides are pretty set on their stances. :D
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote:I don't care if the names change. That doesn't mean squat to me, so stop trying to imply that. :tothehand:

The FACT remains that several of the TOP teams in I-AA left. You don't recover from that in two or three years.

And I'm not sure why a few of these teams you consider up or down. YSU, WIU, UNI, Elon, etc...? :suspicious:

Maybe you're just too new to I-AA to get it.
That's why I told 93, it's time for a Spotted Cow. Both sides are pretty set on their stances. :D
Yes, but he and I are right.
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
That's why I told 93, it's time for a Spotted Cow. Both sides are pretty set on their stances. :D
Yes, but he and I are right.
I never took you 2 for lefty Hillary fans.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48438
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:I don't care if the names change. That doesn't mean squat to me, so stop trying to imply that. :tothehand:

The FACT remains that several of the TOP teams in I-AA left. You don't recover from that in two or three years.
So that means that others in the subdivision can't improve? :coffee:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

I always thought 2014 was one of the strongest years for FCS. App St, GSU and ODU left the year before with the best record being 8-4. App St didn't win a playoff game after 2010. Georgia Southern was the best of the three, having lost in the Semi-finals in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 GSU and App St took 4th in the Southern and App St was 4-8. ODU went Indy and didn't have a great resume. They were already being replaced in 2014. Top 5 in 2014 match or beat almost any other year since 2000.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:I don't care if the names change. That doesn't mean squat to me, so stop trying to imply that. :tothehand:

The FACT remains that several of the TOP teams in I-AA left. You don't recover from that in two or three years.
So that means that others in the subdivision can't improve? :coffee:
Yeah, that's exactly what it means. :roll:
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48438
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
So that means that others in the subdivision can't improve? :coffee:
Yeah, that's exactly what it means. :roll:
So your argument is kind of meaningless. Ok thanks. :thumb:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6805
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Pwns »

Gil Dobie wrote:
You are the first person I ever heard mention Bohl, Klieman or Houston as the top 3 coaches in the subdivision all time. Bohl even had a losing season prior to the 2010 playoff season.

Needing more quality teams and saying FCS is down, is 2 different things. Klieman said it was a blow, but didn't say FCS was down.
So what is your explanation for why they can win so much more consistently than all the other coaching greats of the subdivision throughout history?

Craig Bohl had a run 2011-2013 where he was 43-2. He goes to Wyoming and even considering he's at Wyoming he's average.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6805
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Pwns »

Gil Dobie wrote:I always thought 2014 was one of the strongest years for FCS. App St, GSU and ODU left the year before with the best record being 8-4. App St didn't win a playoff game after 2010. Georgia Southern was the best of the three, having lost in the Semi-finals in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 GSU and App St took 4th in the Southern and App St was 4-8. ODU went Indy and didn't have a great resume. They were already being replaced in 2014. Top 5 in 2014 match or beat almost any other year since 2000.
Honest question, not trying to be a smartass, did you follow the FCS much in the early and mid 00s? I would argue that 2005 was the strongest playoff bracket ever - at least in my time as a fan.

The number of good QBs that were in the subdivision that year was just insane - Richie Williams, Ingle Martin, Ricky Santos, Erik Meyer, Eric Sanders, Jayson Foster, Barrick Nealy. All of those guys could probably be Payton finalists this season, honestly. There was a lot of really tight games in the playoff, too.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, that's exactly what it means. :roll:
So your argument is kind of meaningless. Ok thanks. :thumb:
If that were my argument sure. But alas, it was not. It was a wild extrapolation on your part.

Teams get worse. Teams get better. Teams stay relatively the same. When you take the best teams away, the unit is lesser. You guys are idiots. These are all facts. :ugeek:
Image
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
You are the first person I ever heard mention Bohl, Klieman or Houston as the top 3 coaches in the subdivision all time. Bohl even had a losing season prior to the 2010 playoff season.

Needing more quality teams and saying FCS is down, is 2 different things. Klieman said it was a blow, but didn't say FCS was down.
So what is your explanation for why they can win so much more consistently than all the other coaching greats of the subdivision throughout history?

Craig Bohl had a run 2011-2013 where he was 43-2. He goes to Wyoming and even considering he's at Wyoming he's average.
Bohl was at NDSU for 11 seasons, and only 5th at Wyoming. 2 Bowl games isn't bad, after his predecessors going to 3 since 2000. Bohl may still be building the Cowboys program, time will tell. He did lose a stud QB after last season.

Right now NDSU is pushing thru around 20 Seniors every year. 20 5th year Seniors this year, very few transfers, giving players something to continue working towards, without worrying a transfer will come in and take their spot. That creates a lot of depth at a lot of positions. 20+ Juniors added to the depth this year. I'm thinking this has something to do with it, plus winning helps get recruits, as I'm sure GSU had over the years in FCS. Depth has helped win some of those FBS games as well and in return helped recruiting. But I think the biggest key is the strength and condition program, headed by Jim Kramer. Keeps the players strong and helps avoid some of the major injuries, which keeps the depth, and players fresh in the 4th quarter, while other teams wear down. Even some of the FBS teams looked tired at the end of games.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55499
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 93henfan »

And the rest of FCS sucks now. That helps as well.
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:I always thought 2014 was one of the strongest years for FCS. App St, GSU and ODU left the year before with the best record being 8-4. App St didn't win a playoff game after 2010. Georgia Southern was the best of the three, having lost in the Semi-finals in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 GSU and App St took 4th in the Southern and App St was 4-8. ODU went Indy and didn't have a great resume. They were already being replaced in 2014. Top 5 in 2014 match or beat almost any other year since 2000.
Honest question, not trying to be a smartass, did you follow the FCS much in the early and mid 00s? I would argue that 2005 was the strongest playoff bracket ever - at least in my time as a fan.

The number of good QBs that were in the subdivision that year was just insane - Richie Williams, Ingle Martin, Ricky Santos, Erik Meyer, Eric Sanders, Jayson Foster, Barrick Nealy. All of those guys could probably be Payton finalists this season, honestly. There was a lot of really tight games in the playoff, too.
I followed it pretty close starting about 2003, when NDSU announced the plan to move to I-AA at the time. NDSU played and beat Montana that year. 2005 was the year Cap'n Cat was running around the country, chasing the UNI playoff run with Ralph. NDSU was not eligible, and the I-AA recruits were young, but played 3 playoff teams, beating Nichols St, losing badly to Cal Poly and a close one to SIU. I was surprised Furman barely beat Nicholls, after watching Nicholls in the Fargodome.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27520
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote:And the rest of FCS sucks now. That helps as well.
There's a couple teams in our bracket that could easily beat NDSU.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 37023
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:And the rest of FCS sucks now. That helps as well.
I'm not sure about that 93. Idaho State just had one of it's best years in a long time. That a pretty clear indicator that teams have filled the void that was left by the teams that moved up to I-A.
Image
Post Reply