Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by BDKJMU »

JBB wrote:Trey Lance first QB in FCS history with 200 passing attempts without an INT. NEVER an INT! The Iowa State guy just picked the wrong school. Would have done well and UNI.
If Lance went the whole playoffs without throwing an INT, he would become only the 2nd one at the entire Division I level to have ever done it: The only one? Matt Blundin in 1991 for UVA: 135 of 224 passing, 1,902 yards, 19 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, 60.3 completion percentage, 10.2 adjusted yards per attempt, 159.6 passer rating. I live a few miles from the high school outside Philly, Ridley, where Blundin went (I just found that out looking at Blundin's wiki page). Tua had 0 through week 8, but threw 3 INTs before he got injured.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... yk4jrs4zyy

This year at the I-A level Justin Fields is the tops with 252 attempts, 33 TD passes/1 INT
2017 Danny Etling, LSU, 275 attempts, 16 TD passes/2 INT
2013 Connor Shaw, South Carolina, 284 attempts, 24 TDs/1 INT
NCAA.org website wouldn't go back prior to 2013...but very few that have thrown as little as 1 or 2..

I'm sure its been done at the Div II & III level..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
Big 12 QB who passed for 300 yards against a top 10 OU last year transfers with the belief he should be able to start at an FCS school, gets beat out by a freshman QB because FCS is able to recruit and develop B12 level talent.

Similar thing happened at EWU this year with a UW TE/LB grad transfer.
What do you mean by Big12 talent? Transfer couldn't cut it at a middling Big12. He was not Big12 talent.

Like I said.... FAIL.
Was he recruited by at least one B12 school? :check:

Did he start (or at least play significantly in) one B12 game? :check:

Iowa State went 8-5 last year is 7-4 this year and ranked 23rd.

Does 89 know the definition of middling? Probably not?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: What do you mean by Big12 talent? Transfer couldn't cut it at a middling Big12. He was not Big12 talent.

Like I said.... FAIL.
Was he recruited by at least one B12 school? :check:

Did he start (or at least play significantly in) one B12 game? :check:

Iowa State went 8-5 last year is 7-4 this year and ranked 23rd.

Does 89 know the definition of middling? Probably not?
Terp fans aspire to be middling.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

UNI88 wrote:
JBB wrote:Trey Lance first QB in FCS history with 200 passing attempts without an INT. NEVER an INT! The Iowa State guy just picked the wrong school. Would have done well and UNI.
How do I use the dunce emoji in Tapatalk?

:dunce:

like that. :clap:
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

Trey Lance, based on offense yards/passing attempt, is the best QB in NDSU History.

He is 9th in the MVFC rushing but 3rd in TDs scored.

You can't get down on the guy from Iowa State because he couldn't beat out Trey Lance. May be the reason he came. To see if he could

Under Lance last years wide receiver corps had 14 catches and 199 yds. This year 92 catches, 7 TDs, 1,537 yds. He routinely uses 9 or more receivers/game.

In a 2 game stretch at the Fabulous Fargo Dome Trey Lance led the Bison to 1,359 yds in total offense.

It is nothing short of world beating. The best QB in the history of the FCS is emerging at NDSU. Not beating out Trey Lance is no mark of failure.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

UNI88 wrote:

Zeb Nolan is the transfer in question. UNI would do well to have him but he wasn't interested and didn't give them a passing nod when he transferred to NDSU. UNIs starting QB is sitting on the NDSU bench! 8-)

Nolan is not on the bench because the FCS is bad, he is on the bench because FCS is good. It seems NDSU is always playing teams boasting a lot of FBS transfers.

I'm glad Nolan is behind Lance. Its another example of just how loaded NDSU is. Every position stacks up well. Its an amazing team to watch.

The fact there are even FCS fans from other schools stating publicly they think their team can beat the BISON is a testament just how good the division is. That's how good the BISON are.
Last edited by JBB on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by UNI88 »

JBB wrote:
UNI88 wrote: :dunce:

Zeb Nolan is the transfer in question. UNI would do well to have him but he wasn't interested and didn't give them a passing nod when he transferred to NDSU. UNIs starting QB is sitting on the NDSU bench!

Nolan is not on the bench because the FCS is bad, he is on the bench because FCS is good. It seems NDSU is always playing teams boasting a lot of FBS transfers.

I'm glad Nolan is behind Lance. Its another example of just how loaded NDSU is. Every position stacks up well. Its an amazing team to watch.

The fact there are even FCS fans from other schools stating publicly they think their team can beat the BISON is a testament just how good the division is. That's how good the BISON are.
UNI's starting QB outplayed the guy who beat Nolan out. I'll take him over Nolan.

JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

UNI88 wrote:
JBB wrote:
Zeb Nolan is the transfer in question. UNI would do well to have him but he wasn't interested and didn't give them a passing nod when he transferred to NDSU. UNIs starting QB is sitting on the NDSU bench!

UNI's starting QB outplayed the guy who beat Nolan out. I'll take him over Nolan.

You have him.

More proof how good the FCS is. Arguing about the Big 12 transfer vs 2 starting FCS QBs, both in the playoffs and one possibly the best ever. Thats 3 obviously very talented QBs.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JBB wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

You have him.

More proof how good the FCS is. Arguing about the Big 12 transfer vs 2 starting FCS QBs, both in the playoffs and one possibly the best ever. Thats 3 obviously very talented QBs.
Ha!

IYFF again, 89!

:lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Nolan was a 3 Star recruit, with FBS offers from 6 schools, including Iowa St, Colorado St, Toledo, Middle Tenn St, App St and FIU.
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

These two comments make an important point why the argument about FCS being down is a false premise.

This is understanding:
Gil Dobie wrote:Nolan was a 3 Star recruit, with FBS offers from 6 schools, including Iowa St, Colorado St, Toledo, Middle Tenn St, App St and FIU.
This is common talking:
UNI88 wrote:
UNI selects a QB on the basis of one statistic in one game. As a result UNI gets 233 yds, 15 of 29, with 1 int and 1 TD. NDSU gets 145 yds, 10 of 18, 0 INTs and 3 TDS.

Using the single statistic to support the contention the UNI QB is better than Lance exposes faulty judgment and undermines the entire FCS is down argument because it is supported by the same type of faulty logic.

Gil on the other hand intelligently points out why Nolan is a very good QB: Nolan is a 3 star recruit. Lots of interest from everywhere in the college football world.

Knowing these 3 QBs are not alone and there are so many great players in the FCS the question becomes how many great coaches?

I understand the perspective of our back east friends. It's true there is a lot of bad college football back east, and on the west coast for that matter, but I contend it's bad coaching, the institutions and leaders, not the players.

Just because the best football is being played in the middle of the country where it's true conservative strength lies and is represented on the field by upstanding young men, well coached, well educated and respected by their community is no reason to run the entire division down.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JBB wrote:These two comments make an important point why the argument about FCS being down is a false premise.

This is understanding:
Gil Dobie wrote:Nolan was a 3 Star recruit, with FBS offers from 6 schools, including Iowa St, Colorado St, Toledo, Middle Tenn St, App St and FIU.
This is common talking:
UNI88 wrote:
UNI selects a QB on the basis of one statistic in one game. As a result UNI gets 233 yds, 15 of 29, with 1 int and 1 TD. NDSU gets 145 yds, 10 of 18, 0 INTs and 3 TDS.

Using the single statistic to support the contention the UNI QB is better than Lance exposes faulty judgment and undermines the entire FCS is down argument because it is supported by the same type of faulty logic.

Gil on the other hand intelligently points out why Nolan is a very good QB: Nolan is a 3 star recruit. Lots of interest from everywhere in the college football world.

Knowing these 3 QBs are not alone and there are so many great players in the FCS the question becomes how many great coaches?

I understand the perspective of our back east friends. It's true there is a lot of bad college football back east, and on the west coast for that matter, but I contend it's bad coaching, the institutions and leaders, not the players.

Just because the best football is being played in the middle of the country where it's true conservative strength lies and is represented on the field by upstanding young men, well coached, well educated and respected by their community is no reason to run the entire division down.
Evidently Dakotans drag down the comprehension of other Midwesterners as it was obvious that UNI88 was referring to McElvain outperforming the ISU Qb (who beat out Nolan) in their head to head this year.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
JBB wrote:These two comments make an important point why the argument about FCS being down is a false premise.

This is understanding:

This is common talking:

Evidently Dakotans drag down the comprehension of other Midwesterners as it was obvious that UNI88 was referring to McElvain outperforming the ISU Qb (who beat out Nolan) in their head to head this year.
The Kalm comprehends.

Triple Dick is having a historic year and I can't compare McElvain to him. I would argue that one historic year is not enough to consider him for greatest FCS QB of all time though. He might end up with that honor but it's too soon to tell.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

This is understanding:
This is common talking:
UNI88 wrote:

:lol:

Big duck in a small pond. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
The Kalm comprehends.

Triple Dick is having a historic year and I can't compare McElvain to him. I would argue that one historic year is not enough to consider him for greatest FCS QB of all time though. He might end up with that honor but it's too soon to tell.

McElvain makes the MVFC All Newcomer Team (along with Trey "Triple Dick" Lance) and is Honorable Mention All-Conference. He may not be Triple Dick but I think UNI has a pretty good freshman QB.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
The Kalm comprehends.

McElvain makes the MVFC All Newcomer Team (along with Trey "Triple Dick" Lance) and is Honorable Mention All-Conference. He may not be Triple Dick but I think UNI has a pretty good freshman QB.
He clearly hasn’t spent enough time around Farley yet.... :)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Will Farley have try-outs at QB again next year?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Will Farley have try-outs at QB again next year?
I think he's finally found the right QB. Mobile enough to escape the rush and be a threat to run but with a good arm and keeps his eyes downfield even when scrambling. I haven't felt this good about a UNI QB since Kollmorgen was a freshman.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

JBB wrote: Just because the best football is being played in the middle of the country where it's true conservative strength lies and is represented on the field by upstanding young men, well coached, well educated and respected by their community is no reason to run the entire division down.
lmao

Who knew Columbus, Eugene, Athens, and Baton Rouge were such conservative bastions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:
JBB wrote: Just because the best football is being played in the middle of the country where it's true conservative strength lies and is represented on the field by upstanding young men, well coached, well educated and respected by their community is no reason to run the entire division down.
lmao

Who knew Columbus, Eugene, Athens, and Baton Rouge were such conservative bastions
Seattle, Baltimore, San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston, and the socialist Green Bay Packers...
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

144 Former FCS players on NFL rosters, plus 65 on practice squads.

link

(Stats Perform) - FCS college football has flexed its muscle with 144 former players on NFL season-opening rosters and another 65 signed to practice squads.

There's no shortage of star power, including the likes of quarterbacks Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles, North Dakota State) and Jimmy Garoppolo (San Francisco 49ers, Eastern Illinois), wide receiver Cooper Kupp (Los Angeles Rams, Eastern Washington), tight end Kyle Juszczyk (San Francisco 49ers, Harvard), left tackle Terron Armstead (New Orleans Saints, Arkansas-Pine Bluff) and linebacker Darius Leonard (Indianapolis Colts, South Carolina State).

James Madison has the most players on 53-man active rosters with seven followed by Delaware, Harvard, North Dakota State and South Carolina State with six each. North Dakota State, the three-time defending national champion, has five players on practice squads, bringing its overall total to 11, the high among FCS programs.

All 32 NFL rosters have an FCS player. Twelve of the players will be in action Thursday night when the Houston Texans and Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs kick off the league's 101st season.

Following are former FCS players on NFL season-opening active rosters:

Browns (9) - Stephen Carlson (Princeton), Tae Davis (Chattanooga), Jamie Gillan (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), KhaDarel Hodge (Prairie View A&M), Kendall Lamm (Appalachian State), George Obinna (Sacramento State), Larry Ogunjobi (Charlotte), Alex Taylor (South Carolina State), J.C. Tretter (Cornell)

Buccaneers (8) - Quinton Bell (Prairie View A&M), Cameron Brate (Harvard), Cam Gill (Wagner), Joe Haeg (North Dakota State), Ryan Smith (North Carolina Central), Aaron Stinnie (James Madison), Justin Watson (Penn), Josh Wells (James Madison)

49ers (7) - Kendrick Bourne (Eastern Washington), Tom Compton (South Dakota), Ross Dwelley (San Diego), Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois), Kyle Juszczyk (Harvard), Jerick McKinnon (Georgia Southern), Jaquiski Tartt (Samford)

Bills (6) - Darryl Johnson (North Carolina A&T), Taron Johnson (Weber State), Taiwan Jones (Eastern Washington), Dean Marlowe (James Madison), Siran Neal (Jacksonville State), Josh Norman (Coastal Carolina), Andre Roberts (The Citadel)

Saints (7) - Terron Armstead (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), Nick Easton (Harvard), Kaden Elliss (Idaho), Ethan Greenidge (Villanova), Josh Hill (Idaho State), Anthony Lanier II (Alabama A&M), Adam Trautman (Dayton)

Texans (7) - DeAndre Carter (Sacramento State), Dylan Cole (Missouri State), Isaiah Coulter (Rhode Island), Keion Crossen (Western Carolina), P.J. Hall (Sam Houston State), Tytus Howard (Alabama State), David Johnson (UNI)

Broncos (6) - Jacob Bobenmoyer (Northern Colorado), Austin Calitro (Villanova), Davontae Harris (Illinois State), Shelby Harris (Illinois State), Sam Martin (Appalachian State), Diontae Spencer (McNeese)

Eagles (6) - Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State), Javon Hargrave (South Carolina State), Craig James (Southern Illinois), Rick Lovato (Old Dominion), Alex Singleton (Montana State), Carson Wentz (North Dakota State)

Jets (6) - Daniel Brown (James Madison), Joe Flacco (Delaware), John Franklin-Myers (Stephen F. Austin), Chris Hogan (Monmouth), Patrick Onwuasor (Portland State), Greg Van Roten (Penn)

Ravens (6) - Chris Board (North Dakota State), Terrell Bonds (Tennessee State), Nick Boyle (Delaware), L.J. Fort (UNI), Anthony Levine Sr. (Tennessee State), Patrick Ricard (Maine)

Titans (6) - Nick Dzubnar (Cal Poly), Anthony Firkser (Harvard), Isaiah Mack (Chattanooga), MyCole Pruitt (Southern Illinois), Kalif Raymond (Holy Cross), Derick Roberson (Sam Houston State)

Bears (5) - Tarik Cohen (North Carolina A&T), DeAndre Houston-Carson (William & Mary), Bilal Nichols (Delaware), Eric Saubert (Drake), Buster Skrine (Chattanooga)

Chiefs (5) - Alex Brown (South Carolina State), Antonio Hamilton (South Carolina State), Tanoh Kpassagnon (Villanova), Daniel Kilgore (Appalachian State), Khalen Saunders (Western Illinois)

Lions (5) - Jamal Agnew (San Diego), Mike Ford (Southeast Missouri State), Miles Killebrew (Southern Utah), Tony McRae (North Carolina A&T), Nick Williams (Samford)

Cardinals (4) - Robert Alford (Southeastern Louisiana), Chase Edmonds (Fordham), Josh Miles (Morgan State), Chris Streveler (South Dakota)

Colts (4) - Bruce Anderson III (North Dakota State), Darius Leonard (South Carolina State), George Odum (Central Arkansas), Luke Rhodes (William & Mary)

Dolphins (4) - Julie'n Davenport (Bucknell), Jesse Davis (Idaho), Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard), Kamu Grugier-Hill (Eastern Illinois)

Falcons (4) - Jaeden Graham (Yale), Cameron Nizialek (Columbia), Foye Oluokun (Yale), Timon Parris (Stony Brook)

Packers (4) - Tim Boyle (Eastern Kentucky), Raven Greene (James Madison), Robert Tonyan (Indiana State), Billy Turner (North Dakota State)

Panthers (4) - Jeremy Chinn (Southern Illinois), Zach Kerr (Delaware), Trent Scott (Grambling State), Julian Stanford (Wagner)

Rams (4) - Samson Ebukam (Eastern Washington), Cooper Kupp (Eastern Washington), Troy Reeder (Delaware), Nsimba Webster (Eastern Washington)

Washington Football Team (4) - Antonio Gandy-Golden (Liberty), Danny Johnson (Southern University), Mike Liedtke (Illinois State), Jimmy Moreland (James Madison)

Chargers (3) - Nasir Adderley (Delaware), Donald Parham Jr. (Stetson), Easton Stick (North Dakota State)

Jaguars (3) - James O'Shaughnessy (Illinois State), James Robinson (Illinois State), Quincy Williams (Murray State)

Patriots (3) - Justin Bethel (Presbyterian), Brandon Copeland (Penn), Derek Rivers (Youngstown State)

Seahawks (3) - Eli Mencer (Albany), Jason Myers (Marist), Tyler Ott (Harvard)

Cowboys (2) - Ben DiNucci (James Madison), Joe Thomas (South Carolina State)

Giants (2) - C.J. Board (Chattanooga), James Bradberry (Samford)

Steelers (2) - Kameron Canaday (Portland State), Jordan Dangerfield (Towson)

Vikings (2) - Dakota Dozier (Furman), Oli Udoh (Elon)

Bengals (1) - LeShaun Sims (Southern Utah)

Raiders (1) - Brandon Parker (North Carolina A&T)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Is that number of FCS players higher or lower than previous years? And how has the larger practice squad sizes impacted this?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 am Is that number of FCS players higher or lower than previous years? And how has the larger practice squad sizes impacted this?
Would be interesting to see a year by year list. I know Darrius Shepherd was on the 53 man roster to start last year, practice squad to start this year.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Montana - 0
Montana State - 1

How the mighty have fallen