ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: YSU @ #2 EWU 6:30 PM ECB, ESPNU

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I dont think Kupp will play in the NFL, white, small and that shoulder injury will keep him off a lot of teams radar.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

kalm wrote:Well shit.

Hats off to Youngstown. They possessed the ball for around 40 minutes and were able to finish drives.

With the brutal start to the schedule, 5 new starters on the o-line, and an inexperienced QB, I thought we were an 8-3 or 7-4 team to start the season and they ended up being one of the best teams in school history. It was fun watching the greatest receiver in FCS history play one more season, seeing a sophomore quarterback break the FCS single season passing yards record (set but Tyler Heineke), and, despite yesterday, seeing the defense improve.

Hope we're on the road in the semis next year. :)
Gage Gubrud has little hands?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:Let me know how many rings Cupp ends up with.

He better hope he gets drafted by the Patriots. Belichick makes little white guys look invincible at WR.
NFL rings?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:Let me know how many rings Cupp ends up with.

He better hope he gets drafted by the Patriots. Belichick makes little white guys look invincible at WR.
NFL rings?
Mmyes.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
kalm wrote:
NFL rings?
Mmyes.
Well...like I said...
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Mmyes.
Well...like I said...
Like to see Kupp in Green Bay. :thumb:
GrizMadman
I am a fan of: UM, UNLV

Post by GrizMadman »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
GrizMadman wrote: Yes, only after a failed 2 point conversion. 93hen says neither an xtra point or play after the TD was advisable, when in fact Youngstown went for 2. I agree a kneel-down was best, but why not after the TD, instead of going for 2?
How could they kneel it down after going for 2? :? I thought they scored, and then knelt it on the point after. I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that you should kneel the PAT in that scenario. Not doing that is what caused the The Miracle on the Mountain
Yep, you're right. My bad. :oops:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:I dont think Kupp will play in the NFL, white, small and that shoulder injury will keep him off a lot of teams radar.
How much money are you willing to put on that opinion...?

:suspicious:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:I dont think Kupp will play in the NFL, white, small and that shoulder injury will keep him off a lot of teams radar.
How much money are you willing to put on that opinion...?

:suspicious:

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Rob Iola wrote:
kalm wrote:Well shit.

Hats off to Youngstown. They possessed the ball for around 40 minutes and were able to finish drives.

With the brutal start to the schedule, 5 new starters on the o-line, and an inexperienced QB, I thought we were an 8-3 or 7-4 team to start the season and they ended up being one of the best teams in school history. It was fun watching the greatest receiver in FCS history play one more season, seeing a sophomore quarterback break the FCS single season passing yards record (set but Tyler Heineke), and, despite yesterday, seeing the defense improve.

Hope we're on the road in the semis next year. :)
Gage Gubrud has little hands?
:ohno: :ohno:

:lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Gage Gubrud has little hands?
:ohno: :ohno:

:lol:
DeMarco had little tiny cherub fingers!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Kupp will probably play in the NFL. He will at least get a shot. But he'll have to be very successful in the NFL to show that he's the best receiver to ever come out of I-AA/FCS for obvious reasons. Some very good receivers, including one many consider to be the best NFL receiver ever, have come out of I-AA/FCS.

And then there are people like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Even way back in the day somebody like Mark Duper; who was one of the most explosive receivers in NFL history. 10.21 100 meters guy who was also a football player. No he's not in the hall of fame but in his best years playing with Dan Marino and with Mark Clayton on the other side he was something else.

I'm sure others can think of other great receivers who have come out of the subdivision.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:Kupp will probably play in the NFL. He will at least get a shot. But he'll have to be very successful in the NFL to show that he's the best receiver to ever come out of I-AA/FCS for obvious reasons. Some very good receivers, including one many consider to be the best NFL receiver ever, have come out of I-AA/FCS.
Like I said...he's the greatest receiver in FCS history. And that's without even comparing level of competition and Kupp's stats against the 4 PAC-12 opponents he faced.

His NFL career remains to be seen.
Bronco
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by Bronco »

I don't know his 40 time but maybe the best hands I've ever seen in person. I wish him well
I'd be happy if my Vikings took him
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/childr ... bronco.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Kupp will probably play in the NFL. He will at least get a shot. But he'll have to be very successful in the NFL to show that he's the best receiver to ever come out of I-AA/FCS for obvious reasons. Some very good receivers, including one many consider to be the best NFL receiver ever, have come out of I-AA/FCS.
Like I said...he's the greatest receiver in FCS history. And that's without even comparing level of competition and Kupp's stats against the 4 PAC-12 opponents he faced.

He holds a bunch of FCS records. I've always been of the opinion that the NFL lends insight into how good somebody actually is. It's kind of like if you look at most career rushing yards. Adrian Peterson of Georgia Southern holds the record and he was a great back in I-AA. But I think the NFL crucible forces the conclusion that he was not the greatest back ever in I-AA/FCS. One can think of other backs that were clearly better when tested by the highest level of competition. There was Joe Delaney from Northwestern State. His career was cut short by untimely death but he was clearly an all pro caliber NFL back right off the bat. Another back that had a great NFL career is Brian Westbrook of Villanova.

And there are a bunch of backs that came out of I-AA/FCS and earned starting positions. For example: Then I-AA Northeast Louisiana had TWO backs drafted in 1993 who earned opening day starting positions as rookies. Greg Robinson started 12 games for the Raiders that year while Roosevelt Potts started 15 games for the Colts. The only reason Adrian Peterson was ever at #1 on a NFL depth chart is that he got to #2 in 2007 when Cedric Benson suffered a season ending knee injury in November. But after that season the Bears drafted Matt Forte and Peterson saw little action after that.

Peterson is the all time leader in I-AA/FCS rushing yards. But to me it's pretty clear that he is not the best running back to have played in I-AA/FCS and we know that because we got to see how he did when tested by the NFL. I think he played in a system that allowed him to thrive on a team that was dominant at its level of competition.

I think that, most of the time, it's not like one guy is really a better player in college then the other guy is a better player in the NFL. I think that, the overwhelming majority of the time, if the other guy is shown to be the better player in the NFL he was really the better player all along. IF some receiver that's in FCS this year ends up being a better receiver than Cooper Kupp does in the NFL...not counting a situation where Kupp gets injured and that's the reason for it...that'll tell you that the other receiver was a better receiver than Kupp was in college too. Just for whatever reason he didn't get the statistics.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:

He holds a bunch of FCS records. I've always been of the opinion that the NFL lends insight into how good somebody actually is. It's kind of like if you look at most career rushing yards. Adrian Peterson of Georgia Southern holds the record and he was a great back in I-AA. But I think the NFL crucible forces the conclusion that he was not the greatest back ever in I-AA/FCS. One can think of other backs that were clearly better when tested by the highest level of competition. There was Joe Delaney from Northwestern State. His career was cut short by untimely death but he was clearly an all pro caliber NFL back right off the bat. Another back that had a great NFL career is Brian Westbrook of Villanova.

And there are a bunch of backs that came out of I-AA/FCS and earned starting positions. For example: Then I-AA Northeast Louisiana had TWO backs drafted in 1993 who earned opening day starting positions as rookies. Greg Robinson started 12 games for the Raiders that year while Roosevelt Potts started 15 games for the Colts. The only reason Adrian Peterson was ever at #1 on a NFL depth chart is that he got to #2 in 2007 when Cedric Benson suffered a season ending knee injury in November. But after that season the Bears drafted Matt Forte and Peterson saw little action after that.

Peterson is the all time leader in I-AA/FCS rushing yards. But to me it's pretty clear that he is not the best running back to have played in I-AA/FCS and we know that because we got to see how he did when tested by the NFL. I think he played in a system that allowed him to thrive on a team that was dominant at its level of competition.

I think that, most of the time, it's not like one guy is really a better player in college then the other guy is a better player in the NFL. I think that, the overwhelming majority of the time, if the other guy is shown to be the better player in the NFL he was really the better player all along. IF some receiver that's in FCS this year ends up being a better receiver than Cooper Kupp does in the NFL...not counting a situation where Kupp gets injured and that's the reason for it...that'll tell you that the other receiver was a better receiver than Kupp was in college too. Just for whatever reason he didn't get the statistics.
I understand that argument, but the best receiver in the history of FCS at this point is Cooper Kupp.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

But hes white, so he will never make it in the NFL as a WR.........safety or OLB maybe but I just think the racism in the NFL towards white players is too much for him to over come with his size and speed.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Wrong thread....
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Are you guys telling me that Kupp can't be like Cole Beasley? Give me a break...

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:I understand that argument, but the best receiver in the history of FCS at this point is Cooper Kupp.
If you say Cooper Kupp is the best receiver in the history of FCS when there have been receivers like Jerry Rice and Randy Moss come out of FCS AND you haven't yet seen how Cooper Kupp is going to do in the NFL I don't know if you understand the argument.

I'll go ahead and say, for example, that if you asked any NFL person whether or not Cooper Kupp looks to be a better wide receiver than Randy Moss was coming out of college the answer would be "no" and it wouldn't be a close call. Now, it could be that Cooper Kupp could have an NFL career that proves them wrong. But I pretty strongly suspect that's what the answer would be right now.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:I understand that argument, but the best receiver in the history of FCS at this point is Cooper Kupp.
If you say Cooper Kupp is the best receiver in the history of FCS when there have been receivers like Jerry Rice and Randy Moss come out of FCS AND you haven't yet seen how Cooper Kupp is going to do in the NFL I don't know if you understand the argument.

I'll go ahead and say, for example, that if you asked any NFL person whether or not Cooper Kupp looks to be a better wide receiver than Randy Moss was coming out of college the answer would be "no" and it wouldn't be a close call. Now, it could be that Cooper Kupp could have an NFL career that proves them wrong. But I pretty strongly suspect that's what the answer would be right now.
I simply referred to him as "the greatest receiver in FCS history" which he is. He has no NFL history to compare with Rice and Moss. "The greatest receiver to come out of the FCS" are your words.

If you someday move on to another message board I promise to not call you the "greatest troll to come out of CS.com" until you prove yourself at that next level. Even then, it's arguable that superhornet has you best statistically...unlike Kupp vs Rice and Moss.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SuperHornet wrote:Are you guys telling me that Kupp can't be like Cole Beasley? Give me a break...
He could be great but at this point I think it's a bit much to say that Cooper Kupp is the best receiver ever to play in I-AA/FCS when you look at some of the receivers that have played I-AA/FCS. It might be the position that I-AA/FCS has done the best at in terms of producing great players.

Like the Randy Moss comparison. There is no way ANY NFL player personnel person would say that if they had a choice between Randy Moss in his prime and Cooper Kupp that they'd take Cooper Kupp. Wouldn't happen. You guys all know it.

If college statistics are the be all and end all of deciding who was the best we should be saying that Donnel Pumphrey is the best back ever in I-A/FBS because he set the all time rushing record this year. Better than Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Tony Dorsett, etc.

Does anybody think Donnel Pumphrey is a better running back than Barry Sanders was? Right now, I mean. Could be that after he goes to the NFL that maybe we will. But right now?
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I simply referred to him as "the greatest receiver in FCS history" which he is. He has no NFL history to compare with Rice and Moss. "The greatest receiver to come out of the FCS" are your words.

If you someday move on to another message board I promise to not call you the "greatest troll to come out of CS.com" until you prove yourself at that next level. Even then, it's arguable that superhornet has you best statistically...unlike Kupp vs Rice and Moss.
If you had said something like "he holds the Division I records in receiving yards, touchdowns, and receptions" what you said would be objectively true. But that is different than saying "the greatest."

Records like he holds depend on a lot of things including the team you play on and system you play in. I think it's fair to equate "greatest" to "best." And at this point I think the assertion that Cooper Kupp is the best receiver to ever play in FCS is highly suspect.

If you say he's the greatest receiver in FCS history that's pretty much the same as saying he's the greatest receiver to ever come out of FCS. How good is he as a receiver relative to others who have played in the I-AA/FCS subdivision? We're going to find out when he goes to the NFL.
Could I ever be a star?

slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Post by slulionsfan »

kalm wrote:

Nothing against Kupp (he's good) but Jerry Rice would beg to differ. I saw him catch 24 balls in a game in against Southern U in 1984. He was a man among boys then, and that's back in the days when SWAC schools were still getting SEC caliber athletes. He translated fairly well to the NFL I would say.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:
If you had said something like "he holds the Division I records in receiving yards, touchdowns, and receptions" what you said would be objectively true. But that is different than saying "the greatest."

Records like he holds depend on a lot of things including the team you play on and system you play in. I think it's fair to equate "greatest" to "best." And at this point I think the assertion that Cooper Kupp is the best receiver to ever play in FCS is highly suspect.

If you say he's the greatest receiver in FCS history that's pretty much the same as saying he's the greatest receiver to ever come out of FCS. How good is he as a receiver relative to others who have played in the I-AA/FCS subdivision? We're going to find out when he goes to the NFL.
Of course "greatest" is a subjective term. But there are also factors that determine how one performs in the NFL too. The system you're in, the quarterback, the offensive coordinator, continuity, injuries, having to split targets with other elite receivers on the roster, era you play in (as it relates to style of offenses and how games are offciated, etc.

These type of comparisons between players from different teams, conferences, and eras are always tricky and of course open for debate. That's what makes it fun. But what we know right now is Kupp holds 15 FCS receiving records and passed up Rice on all the big ones last year with 2 fewer games played. And I'm not sure of the level of MVSU's schedule strength at the time but I'm guessing it wasn't superior to what Kupp has faced at EWU and then the Big Sky Conference slate. These are far less subjective criteria than what Kupp will potentially do in the NFL.