Founded 1881
Des Moines, Iowa
Undergraduates: 3,164
Postgraduates: 2,057
Pioneer League
Colors: Blue and White
Drake Stadium (14,557)
2008 Record: 6-5, 4-4

The institution was founded in 1881, when most of the staff of Oskaloosa College left that college to establish what would become Drake University, founded by Francis Marion Drake, a resident of Centerville, Iowa and Governor of Iowa (1896–1898). The university's law school, the oldest law school in the country west of the Mississippi River, was established in 1865 by Chester C. Cole[1], who served on the Iowa Supreme Court from 1864 to 1876. In 1969 Drake's basketball team went to the Final Four under coach Maurice John, but were defeated by the UCLA Bruins by three points. Drake did defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels by 20 points in the third place game.

On September 17, 1969 the Drake student newspaper, The Times-Delphic, published what appears to be the first documented account of the famous Paul is dead hoax, written by Tim Harper. No articles published prior to this piece about the supposed death of Paul McCartney are known, although fellow Times-Delphic reporter and musician Dartanyan Brown, one of the sources for the article, recalled hearing about the hoax from other musicians and reading about it in some underground newspapers.

From its founding in 1881, Drake University maintained a nominal affiliation with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) although no religious affiliation is officially recognized today.

"Institutions of learning must come under this rule: By their fruits ye shall know them. A practical education is that which gives the mind the most power and adaptability. The credentials that your young and hopeful alma mater will soon confer upon each of you can only give you an introduction to the world of letters and of actual life. They can serve you no further. In whatever of the varied vocations of life you may engage, as well as in general society, you must work out your own destiny." - Drake Founder George Carpenter at Drake University's third commencement in 1884

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_University

Notable Alumni
Al McCoy, sports broadcaster, voice of the Phoenix Suns.
David L. Wolper, television and film producer.
Ira Levin, author - Rosemary's Baby
Jeremy Piven, actor.
Steve Allen, comedian.
:thumb:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: FCS Team of the Day #28 - Drake

Post by clenz »

F Drake...sorry had to do it.
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

I've driven by... thought it was a high school to be honest
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Drake does have a sweet stadium though.

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The only reason Drake Stadium is so nice is because it hosts the IASHAA state track meet and has the Drake Relays. Check out pictures of their basketball gym...not arena....gym. I've played in nicer high school gyms that that POS
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

clenz wrote:The only reason Drake Stadium is so nice is because it hosts the IASHAA state track meet and has the Drake Relays. Check out pictures of their basketball gym...not arena....gym. I've played in nicer high school gyms that that POS
Agreed. The same can be said for Penn as well. They only maintain Franklin Field for Penn Relays.
pantherrob82
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UNI, Montana, UNH, McNees

Post by pantherrob82 »

Drake Stadium would be awesome if they didn't have the track. The old run down historic feel makes me like it.