Have the Grizzlies Found Their "Lex Hilliard" Replacement?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Have the Grizzlies Found Their "Lex Hilliard" Replacement?

Post by AZGrizFan »

Andrew Schmidt, UM's senior tailback out of Bozeman :lol: :lol: rushed for 145 yards on 26 carries in last night's 30-28 ROAD victory over #11 Cal Poly. So, was this a function of Cal Poly's agressive defense (8 sacks) or is Schmidt really that good? After about midway through the second quarter, CP was putting 7-8 guys in the box, since it was apparent that Berquist couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Yet Schmidt STILL was able to reel off runs of 5, 6, & 8 yards at a pop. He finished with 5.9 yds/carry for the game.

Before this game, Schmidt had a CAREER total of 117 yards. :shock: :shock:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: Have the Grizzlies Found Their "Lex Hilliard" Replacement?

Post by Grizalltheway »

I sure hope so. He was a beast out there last night. Between him and TBF, our running game is looking pretty damn solid.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

WTAG wrote:I sure hope so. He was a beast out there last night. Between him and TBF, our running game is looking pretty damn solid.
TBF may have a hard time seeing the field....he sure didn't get many touches last night!

TBF's line last night:

1 carry, 4 yards
1 reception, 0 yards. :o :o :o
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I would like to think that he is the answer. He seemed to do what he wanted to most of the second half. Now I don't know if that was a product of our OL just wearing down the DL but it seemed to me that with both of those factors this year we could be very dominant rushing the ball.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

grizzaholic wrote:I would like to think that he is the answer. He seemed to do what he wanted to most of the second half. Now I don't know if that was a product of our OL just wearing down the DL but it seemed to me that with both of those factors this year we could be very dominant rushing the ball.
I was very happy with the quality of the O-Line blocking....now their PASS blocking leaves a little to be desired, as evidenced by the EIGHT sacks Cal Poly got.... :o :o :o
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:
I was very happy with the quality of the O-Line blocking....now their PASS blocking leaves a little to be desired, as evidenced by the EIGHT sacks Cal Poly got.... :o :o :o

Cal Poly "only" got 6 sacks, but that's still quite a bit. CP runs the flex, though, which is built on QB pressure.

A few of those were because Cole held onto the ball way too long. He had a lot of time to throw on most pass plays.
DanJustDan29
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: DanJustDan29

Post by DanJustDan29 »

He sounds like a train...how big is he. I could look it up but I figured I would let you griz brag on him a bit...haha
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Cal Poly "only" got 6 sacks, but that's still quite a bit. CP runs the flex, though, which is built on QB pressure.

A few of those were because Cole held onto the ball way too long. He had a lot of time to throw on most pass plays.
According to the stats page on ESPN.com, it was 8....but regardless, it's too many. :shock:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

DanJustDan29 wrote:He sounds like a train...how big is he. I could look it up but I figured I would let you griz brag on him a bit...haha
He's 6'1" and 210 lbs. You can see some action on the thread I posted with the Griz/Cal Poly highlights. He also caused and recovered a fumble on special teams.
Grizo406
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UM, MSU, GSU, ASU
A.K.A.: A true ICON/HOF'er

Post by Grizo406 »

If Saturday night's performance is any indication, then I'd say the Griz might have found something close! I'd like to see him put on a few more pounds, though!

As a side note...I was at Tire Rama a few weeks back, and spent about half an hour talking with Andrew. One of the things I ask him was how many yards he expected to get this season. His reply, and this is a direct quote, "I don't have a clue, I just want to play!"

He's a real pleasant, and humble young man! I sincerely hope he has a lot more games like the one he played against the Mustangs!!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizo406 wrote:If Saturday night's performance is any indication, then I'd say the Griz might have found something close! I'd like to see him put on a few more pounds, though!

As a side note...I was at Tire Rama a few weeks back, and spent about half an hour talking with Andrew. One of the things I ask him was how many yards he expected to get this season. His reply, and this is a direct quote, "I don't have a clue, I just want to play!"

He's a real pleasant, and humble young man! I sincerely hope he has a lot more games like the one he played against the Mustangs!!

I saw in the box score that he also recorded two tackles....do you think Bobby will continue to play him both ways? :?: :?:
Grizo406
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UM, MSU, GSU, ASU
A.K.A.: A true ICON/HOF'er

Post by Grizo406 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizo406 wrote:If Saturday night's performance is any indication, then I'd say the Griz might have found something close! I'd like to see him put on a few more pounds, though!

I saw in the box score that he also recorded two tackles....do you think Bobby will continue to play him both ways? :?: :?:
I think Bobby will play him a lot, and everywhere against SUU. If he has another stellar game, then I think he'll only be used on offense after this game.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizo406 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I think Bobby will play him a lot, and everywhere against SUU. If he has another stellar game, then I think he'll only be used on offense after this game.
If he's playin' both ways, he must be a HUGE step up from his backup. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the risk of injury. :x :x :x
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote: If he's playin' both ways, he must be a HUGE step up from his backup. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the risk of injury. :x :x :x
Schmidt made two tackles on special teams, not defense. He also blocked a punt. Given that, you'll probably see him playing special teams the rest of the year even if he does become the featured running back. Hauck loves to sub in different running backs, so I doubt stamina will be an issue.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Player of the Week

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I just noticed that Andrew Schmidt was named BSC Offensive Player of the Week. Brandon Fisher was also named Defensive Player of the Week. However, according to the Big Sky website (http://www.bigskyconf.com/sidebar.asp?i ... h=football), his father was actually named player of the week despite the obvious handicap of being in Nashville at the time.

The Griz release is here: http://www.bigskyconf.com/sidebar.asp?i ... h=football
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: If he's playin' both ways, he must be a HUGE step up from his backup. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the risk of injury. :x :x :x
Schmidt made two tackles on special teams, not defense. He also blocked a punt. Given that, you'll probably see him playing special teams the rest of the year even if he does become the featured running back. Hauck loves to sub in different running backs, so I doubt stamina will be an issue.
OK, thanks for the clarification px. If it's special teams only, I'm fine with that.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

AZGrizFan wrote:
OK, thanks for the clarification px. If it's special teams only, I'm fine with that.
WOW AZ, you don't pay a lot of attention. I covered that in my previous post on this thread from a couple of days ago.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
WOW AZ, you don't pay a lot of attention. I covered that in my previous post on this thread from a couple of days ago.
As discussed on the phone, I'm a "scanner"... :oops: :oops: :oops:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: WOW AZ, you don't pay a lot of attention. I covered that in my previous post on this thread from a couple of days ago.
As discussed on the phone, I'm a "scanner"... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I thought you were a spammer.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

grizzaholic wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: As discussed on the phone, I'm a "scanner"... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I thought you were a spammer.
Don't hurt yourself thinking.... :D :D :D
putter
Level2
Level2

Post by putter »

Looks like you may have to change the subject of this thread from Schmidt to Reynolds. Chase definitely does a good job keeping the legs moving and seems more difficult to bring down than TBF. I just hope Andrew's injury is not that serious.
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
Beef
Level1
Level1
A.K.A.: FTC, MaroonMafia

Post by Beef »

TBF looked like he's lost a step or two last week; I wish Utterback would get a chance...