Football Championship Subdivision discussions
DKHardee
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina
A.K.A.: CCU

Hot Seat Coaches

Post by DKHardee »

First off, I love CCU Head Coach David Bennett and I don't think he is on a hotseat with the school... but he is on a hotseat with me. If he can't get it done this coming year I think its time for a change.

Who else is ready for a new coach after this year if their current coach don't get the job done?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Hot Seat Coaches

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Jeff Monken.

They aren't very patient in Statesboro.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Libertine
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty

Post by Libertine »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Jeff Monken.

They aren't very patient in Statesboro.
:lol:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Rob Ash if MSU misses the playoffs again
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Jerome Souer should be if he can't make the playoffs.
:thumb:
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by ToTheLeft »

I would hope the guy at Gardner-Webb would eventually come under some kind of fire for his continued end-of-the-year collapses.

CDB has to be on the hot seat... he just has to. No reason CCU should be closer to .500 than undefeated.

Other than that, the Big South seems pretty secure. Mills is doing well at CSU, Presby's guy is new and has a grace period, and VMI isn't really going to put too much pressure on their guy since he's so new, too. And SBU and LU are doing well, and even a terrible year isn't enough to oust the coaches.
EagleDawg
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner-Webb
A.K.A.: EagleDawg

Post by EagleDawg »

ToTheLeft - I can see how you could think that Coach Patton is on the hot seat at GWU but why is a Liberty fan hoping that he's on the hot seat? Isn't enough that the Flames have won in convincing fashion over the Runnin Bulldogs the last few seasons or did last season's first half back and forth seesaw game cause you too worry? The fact that the Runnin Bulldogs have been middle of the pack for successive seasons could be cause for concern but on the other hand, there have been others in the Big South who have gone from top to bottom, bottom to top and new to top, new to bottom. So middle of the road ain't good but it ain't terrible either. Things are getting better in Boiling Springs but things are getting better at all the other Big South Schools too so you gotta be good, you gotta improve, you gotta have some good bounces of the ball and avoid key injuries and most of all you gotta be careful to use the paring knife and not the chainsaw unless you're prepared to drop all the way to the bottom in hopes of maybe getting a different chance to get to the top.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by ToTheLeft »

EagleDawg... not "hoping" he's on the hot seat, just can't see why he wouldn't be. There's been a lot of solid talent at Gardner-Webb and nothing to show for it over the past few years. It's the same situation that a guy like Tony Dungy was in when he was in Tampa Bay. Sure, not being the worst is a good thing. However, at some point, progress must be made. And that's why, this year, if progress isn't made, his status with the school would need to be reconsidered.
EagleDawg
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner-Webb
A.K.A.: EagleDawg

Post by EagleDawg »

I'm all for progress being made but even though I'm optimistic I'm also a realist. GWU lost to graduation the right side of their OL (RT 2nd Team All-Conf), starting QB (1st Team All Conf), starting inside LB (1st Team All-Conf) and 15 other seniors including several other starters. With OOC road games at Akron, Sam Houston State and ODU along with conference road games at CSU, Liberty and Stony Brook 2010 will be a challenge for a team with some key talent returning but also with some open holes that have to be plugged with players who have little game experience. So with that in mind, I don't see Coach Patton's job in jeopardy barring a total season melt down and the Runnin Dawgs could surprise. Team size, strength and depth is improving but inexperience must be overcome.
canyoncat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by canyoncat »

Silenoz wrote:Rob Ash if MSU misses the playoffs again
With some fans, yes. With the MSU Admin, no. As long as MSU is competitive within the conference, players are staying out of trouble and graduating, Ash will be here a long time. Besides, I think we make the playoffs this year so it's a moot point.
jd of de
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware & Illinois

Post by jd of de »

No playoffs in 2010 will have the faithful screaming for KC Keeler's head after 6-6, 5-6, 4-8 & 6-5 four of the past five years, the losing-est season in 117 year team history and one playoff appearance in five years. But alas a contract that runs through 2017 means he's not going anywhere soon.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 1946 · 1963 · 1971 · 1972 · 1979 · 2003
RUNNERS-UP · 1974 · 1978 · 1982 · 2007 · 2010
5 time Division 1-A National Champions & 5 - Final Fours
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

jd of de wrote:No playoffs in 2010 will have the faithful screaming for KC Keeler's head after 6-6, 5-6, 4-8 & 6-5 four of the past five years, the losing-est season in 117 year team history and one playoff appearance in five years. But alas a contract that runs through 2017 means he's not going anywhere soon.
The new AD Muir has already shown he has no balls by sticking with the men's bball coach after a historically bad year and attendance dropping well below the women's team. He's certainly not firing Keeler anytime soon, regardless of how many more sub par seasons he has. The team still averages 20K+, so that keeps the dough rolling in for all the other sports that no one cares about. In UD's mind, why tip over the cash cow?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
COBBLESTONE
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: URI RAMS
A.K.A.: D1C

Post by COBBLESTONE »

Joe Trainer @ URI. I don't give a damn if it is only his second season. If he goes 1-10 (0-8 in the CAA) again or even 2-9 then he needs to get the boot.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Conclusion, 1854
kemajic
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Kemajic

Post by kemajic »

dbackjon wrote:Jerome Souer should be if he can't make the playoffs.
Jerome is a great guy, but doesn't get it done in the second half of the season - consistently. NAU's patience with him is surprising. 66-70 and two good seasons in 12 - and zero over his former employer, Montana.
Last edited by kemajic on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kemajic wrote:
Jerome is a great guy, but doesn't get it done in the second half of the season - consistently. NAU's patience with him is surprising. 66-70 and two good seasons in 12.
Hopefully NAU falters right around the time Sac heads to Flagstaff... :|
GSUhooligan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: HAIL SOUTHERN!

Post by GSUhooligan »

Bobby Lamb should be...
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

COBBLESTONE wrote:Joe Trainer @ URI. I don't give a damn if it is only his second season. If he goes 1-10 (0-8 in the CAA) again or even 2-9 then he needs to get the boot.
Although not as bad a record in his first year, UMass HC Kevin Morris will feel much heat if the Minutemen don't improve this year....

The rumblings indicate he wasn't very popular a pick as HC last season...

We'll see... :|
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

GSUhooligan wrote:Bobby Lamb should be...
It is difficult to tell with Furman as to whether he is or not. Lifer FU guy, star QB. Never worked anywhere else. But my guess is that yes he is. Furman watched a steller 70s basketball program sink to the depths and never recover with a bad coaching hire. So they look at it two ways, one we are not at the depths and a bad hire could put us there and two if we don't improve soon we may be in the throws of mediocrity forever.;

Furman has a proud tradition and three years out of the playoffs even though Lamb hasn't had a losing season is enough to put him there. Throw in the fact that at the end of the 08 season Furman had a possibility of going to the playoffs and then looked horrible against a not so good GSU team and then was blown away by Wofford didn't set well. This year a lack luster game and loss against a not so good Citadel team made the feeling worse.

Bobby fired long time Furman DC during the off season. This guy was like Lamb a Furman lifer and one of Bobby's friends so this tells me that Bobby knows he is on the hot seat. From what I have heard defensive intensity and minute by minute coaching has been one of the main focuses of spring practice.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but with the player shenanigans and last year's season what about Higgins at El Cid?

Never mind they beat Furman, he's good :lol:
KAUMASS
I am a fan of: UAlbany
A.K.A.: KAUMASS

Post by KAUMASS »

Col Hogan wrote:
COBBLESTONE wrote:Joe Trainer @ URI. I don't give a damn if it is only his second season. If he goes 1-10 (0-8 in the CAA) again or even 2-9 then he needs to get the boot.
Although not as bad a record in his first year, UMass HC Kevin Morris will feel much heat if the Minutemen don't improve this year....

The rumblings indicate he wasn't very popular a pick as HC last season...

We'll see... :|

Morris needs to go at least 7-4, 6-5 won't cut it. Natives are restless already. I would have rather seen Jack Bicknell Jr get the job last year. I'll cut Morris some slack in his first year and with lots of bad turnovers, but he won't have that excuse this year.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Bobby Lamb - he got a pass last year for having two BCS teams on the schedule but this year I think the Furples are going to be the preseason #2 or #3 in the conference and I think they will want playoffs.

Jerome Souers - agree with Dback
Mizzou State's Terry Allen
I also think Montana State will get rid of Ash if he doesn't get to the playoffs this year.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
grizband
Level1
Level1

Post by grizband »

kemajic wrote:
Jerome is a great guy, but doesn't get it done in the second half of the season - consistently. NAU's patience with him is surprising. 66-70 and two good seasons in 12 - and zero over his former employer, Montana.
Are expectations low at NAU; are they happy with the status quo? From everything I've read, Sauers is a great guy, and does just a good enough job to challenge for the playoffs every couple years.
kemajic
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Kemajic

Post by kemajic »

grizband wrote:
kemajic wrote: Jerome is a great guy, but doesn't get it done in the second half of the season - consistently. NAU's patience with him is surprising. 66-70 and two good seasons in 12 - and zero over his former employer, Montana.
Are expectations low at NAU; are they happy with the status quo? From everything I've read, Sauers is a great guy, and does just a good enough job to challenge for the playoffs every couple years.
NAU has not been in the playoffs since 2003.
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

kemajic wrote:
grizband wrote: Are expectations low at NAU; are they happy with the status quo? From everything I've read, Sauers is a great guy, and does just a good enough job to challenge for the playoffs every couple years.
NAU has not been in the playoffs since 2003.
And that is the problem. If he was making the playoffs every third year, that would be one thing. But to not have reached the playoffs since, big problem.
:thumb:
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

Pwns wrote:Bobby Lamb - he got a pass last year for having two BCS teams on the schedule but this year I think the Furples are going to be the preseason #2 or #3 in the conference and I think they will want playoffs.

Jerome Souers - agree with Dback
Mizzou State's Terry Allen
I also think Montana State will get rid of Ash if he doesn't get to the playoffs this year.

I agree the two things that saved him were two FBS schools and the last two games of the year.