Missoula, The Mecca of FCS Football?!?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Missoula, The Mecca of FCS Football?!?

Post by SuperHornet »

So says Sam Herder at HERO Sports. Feel free to disagree....

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-mis ... tana-bzbz/

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
DMoo531
I am a fan of: Montana State Bobcats

Re: Missoula, The Mecca of FCS Football?!?

Post by DMoo531 »

Now why should anyone disagee with Sam?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

DMoo531 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:08 pm Now why should anyone disagee with Sam?
The average ungulate fan believes Fargo is the center of the college football universe.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yes, it is. Fargo is a close second. Delaware isn't in the conversation the past decade, but could easily get back if we finally hire a decent coach. Winning cures everything.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

How many college fb teams play in Missoula again, i forget

Baltimore is a better fb town FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

It’s a fucking awesome place to watch a game and a great and proud city. We honestly have no business trying to compete against all that support and resources but somehow we manage.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:03 pm It’s a fucking awesome place to watch a game and a great and proud city. We honestly have no business trying to compete against all that support and resources but somehow we manage.
Lots of tractor maintenance and meth cooking degrees being handed out in Cheney….. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Missoula is the Mecca and yet the road to the BSC Championship has gone through Sacramento since 2019. :coffee:
Grizzlies1982
Level1
Level1

Post by Grizzlies1982 »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 pm How many college fb teams play in Missoula again, i forget

Baltimore is a better fb town FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Baltimore but your FCS Mecca is Missoula.

Bow and give homage infidel!

:ugeek:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 pm Missoula is the Mecca and yet the road to the BSC Championship has gone through Sacramento since 2019. :coffee:
Actually it went through Missoula this year. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:03 pm It’s a fucking awesome place to watch a game and a great and proud city. We honestly have no business trying to compete against all that support and resources but somehow we manage.
That is, of course, because Cheney is neither loud nor cold enough.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm
Lots of tractor maintenance and meth cooking degrees being handed out in Cheney….. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I assume the giant spark plug in the background is the Meth Department?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

If it offers a degree in motel management, it can market itself as the Cornell of the Big Sky.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

If it offers a degree in motel management, it can market itself as the Cornell of the Big Sky.
Dude goes to the Kremlin on the Charles to only end up losing countless political arguments on a football message board to a directional school rec management major.

:ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:45 pm

I assume the giant spark plug in the background is the Meth Department?

Oh look! Here I am paying respect to a fierce rival and the toothless hill folk of the Rattkesnake try and get all salty.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 amOh look! Here I am paying respect to a fierce rival and the toothless hill folk of the Rattkesnake try and get all salty.

"We may be toofless, but at leatht we can thpell!"
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 am
kalm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 amOh look! Here I am paying respect to a fierce rival and the toothless hill folk of the Rattkesnake try and get all salty.

"We may be toofless, but at leatht we can thpell!"
:lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Bobby Clarke ftw.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:45 pm Image
That looks like one electric atmosphere.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I think we should examine the definition of "Mecca." Per dictionary.com, definition #2 (lowercase) says "any place that many people visit or hope to visit." That's pretty vague. Should it be, as Herder says, "Missoula is FCS at its peak (no pun intended), home to the Montana Grizzlies, a big-time stadium, a beautiful setting, great facilities, a downtown near campus that embraces the university with logos and memorabilia everywhere, and a fan base that cares and supports its team deeply"? Or should it be a place like EWU where there's a clear unique draw (namely the field, aptly nicknamed by one FCS wag on this board "the used maxipad?" Or maybe a place like Delaware or Harvard/Princeton with a super-old stadium with lots of character (like going to Soldier Field in Chicago or Lambeau Field in Green Bay)? And, oddly, the older FCS stadia like Delaware and the Ivies seem to have the most capacity. (Delaware at c. 20K, Harvard at c. 30K, and Yale at currently 61K, though it was as high as 70K in the past.)

SH's non-homer list (and I disqualify Hornet Stadium for many structural reasons as have been discussed ad nauseam on Hornet Sports):

For current team success: Montana and NDSU (Although I think that by playing in a dome, NDSU loses a LOT of home field advantage as determined by the elements. Of course, I've never been there, and NDSU fans and those who have gone there as road fans may beg to differ; I will, of course, cede to them.)

For stadium uniqueness: EWU (the "maxipad" effect")

For character: Harvard Stadium

Please feel free to chime in with your views. You may even have other categories. I'd love to hear those. And for those I've named, I'd love to visit one of these days. Travel costs are SO hard, though....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:45 pm Image
That looks like one electric atmosphere.
Actual footage, 5:00 minutes to kickoff before UD’s last home game…

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:38 am I think we should examine the definition of "Mecca." Per dictionary.com, definition #2 (lowercase) says "any place that many people visit or hope to visit." That's pretty vague. Should it be, as Herder says, "Missoula is FCS at its peak (no pun intended), home to the Montana Grizzlies, a big-time stadium, a beautiful setting, great facilities, a downtown near campus that embraces the university with logos and memorabilia everywhere, and a fan base that cares and supports its team deeply"? Or should it be a place like EWU where there's a clear unique draw (namely the field, aptly nicknamed by one FCS wag on this board "the used maxipad?" Or maybe a place like Delaware or Harvard/Princeton with a super-old stadium with lots of character (like going to Soldier Field in Chicago or Lambeau Field in Green Bay)? And, oddly, the older FCS stadia like Delaware and the Ivies seem to have the most capacity. (Delaware at c. 20K, Harvard at c. 30K, and Yale at currently 61K, though it was as high as 70K in the past.)

SH's non-homer list (and I disqualify Hornet Stadium for many structural reasons as have been discussed ad nauseam on Hornet Sports):

For current team success: Montana and NDSU (Although I think that by playing in a dome, NDSU loses a LOT of home field advantage as determined by the elements. Of course, I've never been there, and NDSU fans and those who have gone there as road fans may beg to differ; I will, of course, cede to them.)

For stadium uniqueness: EWU (the "maxipad" effect")

For character: Harvard Stadium

Please feel free to chime in with your views. You may even have other categories. I'd love to hear those. And for those I've named, I'd love to visit one of these days. Travel costs are SO hard, though....
Seeing a game at WaGriz is on my bucket list, a game at the Fargo Dome isn't.

FCS games/venues that I would like to see more than a game in the Fargo Dome:
- WaGriz
- Lehigh/Lafayette
- Harvard/Yale
- Grambling/Southern (or any big HBCU game for the halftime show and pageantry)

NDZU has a great homefield advantage but a game there isn't something I would consider an FCS must-do. Is a trip to the Fargo Dome a bigger deal to others on the Board then it is for me?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am That looks like one electric atmosphere.
Actual footage, 5:00 minutes to kickoff before UD’s last home game…

That's Rocco and the previous administration's fault. It will all change when Corey Hart comes back.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am Actual footage, 5:00 minutes to kickoff before UD’s last home game…

Looks like a nice venue. It is too bad the Hen are down to 14,000 average attendance. The days of 20k were awesome. Well, at least 14k is still almost double what that tampon holds.

BTW, it's nice of them to mark my last season ticket spot with that lone blue seat in the North End Zone (left side). 8-)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:29 am NDZU has a great homefield advantage but a game there isn't something I would consider an FCS must-do. Is a trip to the Fargo Dome a bigger deal to others on the Board then it is for me?
I'd say top 5 for me. WaGriz, FargoDome, UNIDome, and maybe Princeton and Dykehouse (most similar looking to UD prior to renovation). Past that it's slim pickings. Back in the day: Cowboy (McNeese) and Stambaugh (YSU) would have been cool.