All other college sports!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Delaware to join CUSA, Leaving FCS

Post by GannonFan »

The rumors have been very strong this year, so this was expected by many.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Delaware to join CUSA, Leaving FCS

Post by dbackjon »

Wow - taking the FBS plunge!

Welcome to Las Cruces!
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:09 am Wow - taking the FBS plunge!

Welcome to Las Cruces!
And welcome to playing Temple again (UD's biggest rival through the years, even bigger than nova), and Navy, and Army, and UMass, and UConn, and Sun Belt schools, and getting to play those teams in Newark. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:24 am
dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:09 am Wow - taking the FBS plunge!

Welcome to Las Cruces!
And welcome to playing Temple again (UD's biggest rival through the years, even bigger than nova), and Navy, and Army, and UMass, and UConn, and Sun Belt schools, and getting to play those teams in Newark. :thumb:
Yup - those are plusses
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 am

Yup - those are plusses
Heard about this on ESPN
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Good luck!
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Really depressing the way FCS has gone the last 20-25 years, but it's still a no-brainer and past due for Delaware.

And not surprisingly, there's still some hard-liners on AGS (mostly Patriot League people) who still apparently don't get it.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Truly, best of luck. Delaware, annular to JMU appears to have the funding to do this.

I think we’re still likely to see more regionalized conferences come back into play. The scholarship levels and travel are not sustainable for many if not most of FCS and G5’s.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:35 am Truly, best of luck. Delaware, annular to JMU appears to have the funding to do this.

I think we’re still likely to see more regionalized conferences come back into play. The scholarship levels and travel are not sustainable for many if not most of FCS and G5’s.
The scholarship "costs" are nothing really - it's a bookkeeping item but that's about it. It doesn't really cost the college that much more in marginal costs to add another student, or even add another 85 or whatever the scholarship limit is for football (and while it goes down on the books as list price of the tuition x 85, that's not really real). Maybe they take a little hit in the board part of room and board. The real costs are with the salaries for the coaching staffs, the training staffs, and the special facilities these programs require. And also, in this age, the NIL costs as well. And as you say, the travel costs are not insignificant.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

See you bitches on the other side. I'm joining shittyfbsconferencesubdivision.com
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:54 am See you bitches on the other side. I'm joining shittyfbsconferencesubdivision.com
:notworthy: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:42 am
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:35 am Truly, best of luck. Delaware, annular to JMU appears to have the funding to do this.

The scholarship "costs" are nothing really - it's a bookkeeping item but that's about it. It doesn't really cost the college that much more in marginal costs to add another student, or even add another 85 or whatever the scholarship limit is for football (and while it goes down on the books as list price of the tuition x 85, that's not really real). Maybe they take a little hit in the board part of room and board. The real costs are with the salaries for the coaching staffs, the training staffs, and the special facilities these programs require. And also, in this age, the NIL costs as well. And as you say, the travel costs are not insignificant.
At EWU, scholarship costs are a line item in the athletics budget. That equates to 157.21 fully funded scholarships. It’s also a part of why we recruit so heavily in-state as athletics takes less of a hit for in-state tuition.

Heck, athletics gripes about the amount EWU dining services charges football for the Spring fundraiser dinner.

Similarly the City of Spokane’s water utility lent the parks department $20 million dollars to complete a $60 million Park project that had run over-budget. And at interest. :lol:

Not saying that’s the case everywhere with organizational budgeting or at Delaware but fully funding 210 scholarships is a real cost for EWU athletics and likely others.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 am
Yup - those are plusses
The biggest downside is joining CUSA not the Sun Belt.

Games against Temple, Navy, etc. are great for UD and the CAA isn't what it used to be.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:54 am See you bitches on the other side. I'm joining shittyfbsconferencesubdivision.com
:notworthy: :notworthy:

We haven't been able to get rid of ODU, App State, Ga Southern and JMU posters so you are ok.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Another thing to ponder here is NiL. There’s already talk of WSU’s Cam Ward receiving million $ offers from 5 different schools including rival UW.

The amount of donor involvement to stay competitive also increases. Tougher to punch up now or stay relevant even for established FBS.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:42 am

I wouldn’t say its nothing. Yeah its not close to full tuition R&B x 85, but it is whatever the average student pays in tuition, R&B x 85. So I’d think that that # is well north of 1 mil for most schools. Plus there’s Title IX, so it means an = amount of women’s schollies. The increase in scholly cost from 63 to 85 is well behind the cost of those other things you mentioned (increase in salaries, dacilites, travel).
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.