All other college sports!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Sun Belt 2023 thread

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Lots of tickets suddenly becoming available on social media for the game in Boone this Saturday.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Lots of tickets suddenly becoming available on social media for the game in Boone this Saturday.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

After JMU 42-14 win @ GST on ESPN2 on Sat, GST HC Shawn Elliott goes on epic rant:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Damn.

James Madison DE Jalen Green, nation's leader in sacks and tackles for loss, out for season with injury
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1jtNbS
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Meanwhile JMU has filed another appeal with the NCAA.

Lot of national press. WSJ:
They’re the Best Story in College Football. Don’t Deny Them a Perfect Finish.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1jEdrn
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:07 am Meanwhile JMU has filed another appeal with the NCAA.

They need to play that bit from the "Bad News Bears" where the crowd chants "let them play" in the Astrodome.

Has the Sun Belt made any indication that they'd be fine with JMU playing in the Sun Belt Conference championship game?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:07 am Meanwhile JMU has filed another appeal with the NCAA.

What was the reason for two years of ineligibility this time? I hope y'all get a chance for the postseason, with one loss on your record.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:47 pm

They need to play that bit from the "Bad News Bears" where the crowd chants "let them play" in the Astrodome.

Has the Sun Belt made any indication that they'd be fine with JMU playing in the Sun Belt Conference championship game?
I think it is an "if...then..." thing. The Sun Belt will not let them play for a championship if they are ineligible for a bowl. So the NCAA has to declare them eligible first, I guess.

I don't care what happens to JMU either way, but this is one of many situations in life where people jump on the end result without questioning how we got here. I don't know the full extent of the reasons for the NCAA rule, but I'm sure money is involved. It probably has to do with protection of the full members. It very well could be a rule born of stupid reasons, but we should know what those reasons are.

This is similar to the student loan forgiveness situation where you had people who paid off their loans being pissed off that current borrowers would be getting their debt wiped clean. All the teams that transitioned before them had to deal with the same rule. ODU in 2014 was bowl eligible and didn't go to a bowl.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU beat writer:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 am

I think it is an "if...then..." thing. The Sun Belt will not let them play for a championship if they are ineligible for a bowl. So the NCAA has to declare them eligible first, I guess.

I don't care what happens to JMU either way, but this is one of many situations in life where people jump on the end result without questioning how we got here. I don't know the full extent of the reasons for the NCAA rule, but I'm sure money is involved. It probably has to do with protection of the full members. It very well could be a rule born of stupid reasons, but we should know what those reasons are.

This is similar to the student loan forgiveness situation where you had people who paid off their loans being pissed off that current borrowers would be getting their debt wiped clean. All the teams that transitioned before them had to deal with the same rule. ODU in 2014 was bowl eligible and didn't go to a bowl.
The Marshall rule was ostensibly put in to prevent a I-AA transitioning up from loading up on I-A transfers who wouldn’t have to sit out a season. That point is moot now with the new transfer rules.

NCAA specifically wrote a waiver process into it. JMU did everything they could have possibly done to get a waiver yet were denied, amd weren’t informed why. So how can you have a waiver that appears impossible to get, and that has never been granted?

The wild thing is how strong the case is in JMU's favor. JMU has not only done what was asked of them, but has gone over and beyond. They meet the requirements for the new rules that will be effective in 2027. The NCAA couldn't legally use that against JMU, but it certainly helps JMU's case in their level of being ready.

No other tramsition team has taken the steps JMU has taken since Marshall. 2014 was ODU’s 1st season playing a full FBS schedule. 2015, ODU’s 2nd season playing a full FBS schedule, they were bowl eligible. JMU is in their 2nd season playing a full FBS schedule, so its an apples to oranges comparison. And if JMU was 6-6, we wouldn’t be having this discussion..
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:29 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 am

The Marshall rule was ostensibly put in to prevent a I-AA transitioning up from loading up on I-A transfers who wouldn’t have to sit out a season. That point is moot now with the new transfer rules.

NCAA specifically wrote a waiver process into it. JMU did everything they could have possibly done to get a waiver yet were denied, amd weren’t informed why. So how can you have a waiver that appears impossible to get, and that has never been granted?

The wild thing is how strong the case is in JMU's favor. JMU has not only done what was asked of them, but has gone over and beyond. They meet the requirements for the new rules that will be effective in 2027. The NCAA couldn't legally use that against JMU, but it certainly helps JMU's case in their level of being ready.

No other tramsition team has taken the steps JMU has taken since Marshall. 2014 was ODU’s 1st season playing a full FBS schedule. 2015, ODU’s 2nd season playing a full FBS schedule, they were bowl eligible. JMU is in their 2nd season playing a full FBS schedule, so its an apples to oranges comparison. And if JMU was 6-6, we wouldn’t be having this discussion..

In comparing the two transitions, does the NCAA simply require two years of not being eligible for the postseason, or did they up the requirements for JMU? I seem to remember App not being playoff eligible in the last FCS year before entering the Sunbelt, and then not being bowl eligible in 2014. Did JMU have a playoff year ineligible at FCS, or did they just make the jump. L
Last edited by AshevilleApp on Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:53 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:29 am

In comparing the two transitions, does the NCAA simply require two years of not being eligible for the postseason, or did they up the requirements for JMU? I seem to remember App not being playoff eligible in the last FCS year before entering the Sunbelt, and then being bowl eligible in 2014. Did JMU have a playoff year ineligible at FCS, or did they just make the jump. L
I seem to remeber App and GSU announced their transition that early Spring of 2013. There is/was a cutoff date of July 1 (or maybe June 1?) Announce before that like App and GSU did and you are ineligible for the FCS playoffs like they were 2013, and that counts as transition year one. JMU announced Nov 2021 right before the playoffs started so were eligible for the playoffs. So 2022 was the 1st transition year.

As far as I know, JMU asked what had to be done to get a waiver (under prior) NCAA president, and did it. Among several things was full FBS schedule with 5 FBS home games in year transition year one to get the waiver in transition year 2. JMU was the 1st transition team since Marshall to play a full FBS schedule in year 1. I heard under the prior NCAA president the waiver was practically a done deal. This new guy comes in Marsh and denies it. Why would the NCAA have a waiver process in place if they were never going to grant it?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gameday returns to Harrisonurg! Last were 2015 amd 2017.

ESPN’s College GameDay returning to JMU Saturday as the Dukes take on App State
https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-college-g ... 00997.html
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:53 am

In comparing the two transitions, does the NCAA simply require two years of not being eligible for the postseason, or did they up the requirements for JMU? I seem to remember App not being playoff eligible in the last FCS year before entering the Sunbelt, and then being bowl eligible in 2014. Did JMU have a playoff year ineligible at FCS, or did they just make the jump. L
I seem to remeber App and GSU announced their transition that early Spring of 2013. There is/was a cutoff date of July 1 (or maybe June 1?) Announce before that like App and GSU did and you are ineligible for the FCS playoffs like they were 2013, and that counts as transition year one. JMU announced Nov 2021 right before the playoffs started so were eligible for the playoffs. So 2022 was the 1st transition year.

As far as I know, JMU asked what had to be done to get a waiver (under prior) NCAA president, and did it. Among several things was full FBS schedule with 5 FBS home games in year transition year one to get the waiver in transition year 2. JMU was the 1st transition team since Marshall to play a full FBS schedule in year 1. I heard under the prior NCAA president the waiver was practically a done deal. This new guy comes in Marsh and denies it. Why would the NCAA have a waiver process in place if they were never going to grant it?
Okay, the cutoff date would make sense. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 pm Gameday returns to Harrisonurg! Last were 2015 amd 2017.

What is JMU ranked? What is App St ranked? What is this? Welfare for the less fortunate FBS teams.

GameDay should be in Corvallis for #5 Washington @ #10 Oregon State.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:45 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 pm Gameday returns to Harrisonurg! Last were 2015 amd 2017.

What is JMU ranked? What is App St ranked? What is this? Welfare for the less fortunate FBS teams.

JMU #18 AP/21st Coaches.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU becomes the first on-campus location outside of Power Five institutions to host three times (2 each for Army, Air Force and North Dakota St).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:16 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:45 pm

JMU #18 AP/21st Coaches.

So #18/21 vs UR > a top 10 matchup with potential CFP implications? I thought you opposed welfare.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:23 am
JMU #18 AP/21st Coaches.

So #18/21 vs UR > a top 10 matchup with potential CFP implications? I thought you opposed welfare.
Take it up with ESPN.

So you have 2 out of 3. :D
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Dayum. :shock: Maybe I should sell my tickets and watch from home..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JMU #18 AP/21st Coaches.

Have you ever been to Corvallis? Even the people from Corvallis don't want to be in Corvallis. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:55 pm
Have you ever been to Corvallis? Even the people from Corvallis don't want to be in Corvallis. :coffee:
I've been to both Corvallis and Harrisonburg. I'll take Corvallis.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:35 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:55 pm

Neither are anything to write home about - just think that Harrisonburg is closer to stuff you'd want to see rather than Corvallis.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:26 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:35 pm
Neither are anything to write home about - just think that Harrisonburg is closer to stuff you'd want to see rather than Corvallis.
:suspicious: The Oregon Coast? Crater Lake? Better skiing?