SH's Dream 2022 FBS Playoffs

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

SH's Dream 2022 FBS Playoffs

Post by SuperHornet »

A regionalized 16-team format with 10 auto-bids and 6 at-large bids.

Southeast Region

4 Troy State at 1 Georgia (National #1)
3 Tulane at 2 Clemson

West Region

4 TX-San Antonio at 1 S. California (National #4)
3 Boise State at 2 OH State

East Region

4 C. Carolina at 1 TX Christian (National #3)
3 Penn State at 2 Alabama

Midwest Region

4 Ohio at 1 Michigan (National #2)
3 Oregon at 2 Tennessee

From here, I would see Tulane at Georgia, OH State at S. California, Penn State at TX Christian, and Tennessee at Michigan.

Then in the National Semifinals: S. California at Georgia and TX Christian at Tennessee.

National Finals: TX Christian at Georgia

National Champions: Georgia.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: SH's Dream 2022 FBS Playoffs

Post by GannonFan »

I don't understand the regionalized concept if you're going to throw TCU to the East, Ohio State to the West, etc. And Tennessee isn't winning at Michigan without their starting QB. Maybe when healthy, maybe.

And maybe it's me, but a playoff like that would be why we don't need so many teams from non P5 conferences. There are 6 games there in the first round that are just snoozers (okay, maybe Tulane vs Clemson isn't terrible). Who really wants to see Troy St at Georgia? Does the country really need to see another MAC team play at Michigan? The early season has enough MAC versus Big 10 blowouts. UTSA at Southern Cal? Who's going to pay real money in really big stadiums to watch those dreks of games? Even during March Madness, TV isn't showing those games until the game is close in the second half and there's a legitimate chance of an upset. Otherwise those games get buried on TruTv and no one other the schools involved even notice. Getting one or two, or maybe three non-P5 teams in makes sense - 6 is just overkill.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The teams involved would have a fan base wanting to see that, GF. By that argument, we'd exclude the Pioneer, the Patriot, the Northeastern Conference, and the Big South. Yet the Big South won this past weekend. Sure, the upset isn't likely. But just like we see ever year in the NCAA hoops tournament, upsets DO happen...when they're not defined out. They're exciting. Give them a chance.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:48 pm The teams involved would have a fan base wanting to see that, GF. By that argument, we'd exclude the Pioneer, the Patriot, the Northeastern Conference, and the Big South. Yet the Big South won this past weekend. Sure, the upset isn't likely. But just like we see ever year in the NCAA hoops tournament, upsets DO happen...when they're not defined out. They're exciting. Give them a chance.
There's no comparison to the P5 conferences in FCS. Sure, there are better conferences, but the P5 ones are heads and shoulders better than the G5 around them. There's a reason why TV doesn't stay on too many 1 vs 16 games in March Madness - the vast majority are duds and even the viewers supposedly clamoring for "upsets" recognize that most of these games are never upsets. UMBC happened once. The other 143 times it didn't happen. Ony 15 of those 143 were even within 10 points. Football upsets are even rarer than basketball ones.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation