2022-2023 FBS Coaching Changes

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2022-2023 FBS Coaching Changes

Post by SuperHornet »

Venus, can you start your outstanding tracker, please?

FL Atlantic just fired former Oregon/FL State HC Willie Taggart after they lost to W. Kentucky today. That loss drops FL Atlantic to 5-7, and no bowl. (The only 5-7 team anywhere near a bowl is Rice, and that's only because they're at the top of the 5-win teams on the Academic index). Taggart has been averaging 5 wins a season since he got the the State of Florida (5-7 2018, 4-5 2019 at FL State, 5-4 2020, 5-7 2021, 5-7 2022 at FL Atlantic). FL Atlantic has struggled in close games during Taggart's tenure. He was 7-5 in one season at Oregon before jumping ship. Before that, he turned around S. Florida.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: 2022-2023 FBS Coaching Changes

Post by SuperHornet »

Wisconsin hires Luke Fickell from Cincinnati.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 04490.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Liberty HC Hugh Freeze to Auburn in a highly unpopular move. Liberty names Co-Defensive Coordinator/LBers Coach Josh Aldridge interim HC. Aldridge was previously DC/LBers Coach at Lenoir-Rhyne in 2018, and played at Harding. He started his coaching career in 2013 as a GA at Lindenwood and DL Coach at Ouachita Baptist, then spent 2014-2017 at West GA as DL Coach/Recruiting Coordinator.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Arizona State Hires Kenny Dillingham as Next Head Coach

Oregon's offensive coordinator is headed back to his home state after just one season with the Ducks.

Sorry to see him go, he did some nice work with the Ducks.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

His Neonness is supposed to decide between Colorado, Cincinnati, South Florida, and staying at Jackson State by Saturday.

I think he's staying put....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:58 pm His Neonness is supposed to decide between Colorado, Cincinnati, South Florida, and staying at Jackson State by Saturday.

With those options I'd stay at Jackson St and wait for a better spot. What if he goes to Cinci and doesn't do as well as those who came before him? Ruins the image/brand. And I'm not sure you can win at Colorado.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:58 pm His Neonness is supposed to decide between Colorado, Cincinnati, South Florida, and staying at Jackson State by Saturday.

With those options I'd stay at Jackson St and wait for a better spot. What if he goes to Cinci and doesn't do as well as those who came before him? Ruins the image/brand. And I'm not sure you can win at Colorado.
:nod: He might be able to turn South Florida into something special but he's better off waiting another year or two for a greater opportunity. Someone with greater potential will offer him a job in the next year or two.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am

:nod: He might be able to turn South Florida into something special but he's better off waiting another year or two for a greater opportunity. Someone with greater potential will offer him a job in the next year or two.
Agreed. I just don't know the institutional things that have been holding back USF up to now - you figure a Florida school like that one should be successful without too much work, but they haven't been as good as UCF and they're both probably a notch below UF and FSU (Miami is all over the place, hard to tell with them). USF is definitely better than FIU and FAU, but that ain't saying much.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:44 pm Arizona State Hires Kenny Dillingham as Next Head Coach

Oregon's offensive coordinator is headed back to his home state after just one season with the Ducks.

Sorry to see him go, he did some nice work with the Ducks.
I was hoping they'd pick Danny White....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Liberty will announce their new HC 1200 PST SUN 04 DEC 22 via Facebook Live.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Jeff Brohm inexplicably ditches Purdue for Louisville....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Arkansas DC Barry Odom to NV-Las Vegas as HC.

dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

He is in Colorado right now
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ken Niumatalolo will not return to Navy after 25 years total at the Academy. No word regarding the character of his departure (i.e. whether he resigned, retired, or was fired). Navy had great success under his leadership, but not in recent years. DC Brian Newberry has been named interim HC. EDIT: It was later characterized as a surprise firing. He had no clue it was coming, and was already preparing to start recruiting....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 pm Ken Niumatalolo will not return to Navy after 25 years total at the Academy. No word regarding the character of his departure (i.e. whether he resigned, retired, or was fired). Navy had great success under his leadership, but not in recent years. DC Brian Newberry has been named interim HC. EDIT: It was later characterized as a surprise firing. He had no clue it was coming, and was already preparing to start recruiting....
Yeah, sounds like he was let go. Record against the other service academies as of late was/is probably his undoing - you have to be successful in those games at the academies or you don't last long. He had been there that long because he owned Army for a good decade or so - Navy got used to beating them. Now that it's even again, or even god forbid in Army's favor, that made him less secure in the job.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

New rule on cut blocking (which was heavily critized by all the TO coaches), certainly hurt the TO teams..
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... orgia-tech
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:46 am New rule on cut blocking (which was heavily critized by all the TO coaches), certainly hurt the TO teams..
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... orgia-tech
Doesn't explain Navy's lack of success against Air Force and Army since they all run the same thing. He'd still be at Navy if he had a crappy overall record but was winning the Commander in Chief trophy.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Purdue signs IL DC Ryan Walters....

https://sports.yahoo.com/purdue-just-hi ... 50320.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:35 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 pm Ken Niumatalolo will not return to Navy after 25 years total at the Academy. No word regarding the character of his departure (i.e. whether he resigned, retired, or was fired). Navy had great success under his leadership, but not in recent years. DC Brian Newberry has been named interim HC. EDIT: It was later characterized as a surprise firing. He had no clue it was coming, and was already preparing to start recruiting....
Yeah, sounds like he was let go. Record against the other service academies as of late was/is probably his undoing - you have to be successful in those games at the academies or you don't last long. He had been there that long because he owned Army for a good decade or so - Navy got used to beating them. Now that it's even again, or even god forbid in Army's favor, that made him less secure in the job.
Now it's coming out that the scum AD fired him IN THE LOCKER ROOM after the Army game. That's about as low a blow as an AD can do for a guy who's not getting fired for cause. It's disgusting....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:01 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:35 am

Now it's coming out that the scum AD fired him IN THE LOCKER ROOM after the Army game. That's about as low a blow as an AD can do for a guy who's not getting fired for cause. It's disgusting....
Eh, word on the Navy boards is the AD had talked with him prior to the year and gone over the things that had to change/improve. Even at Navy, it's still a business and there are still objectives that have to be met. Heck, you could argue that at a Service Academy accountability should be even more significant. Oh, and he did get fired for cause - he's been 2-5 against Army and 2-5 against Air Force in the last seven years. But don't worry, the coach is set for life now, so he's not really hurting.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Typically "fire for cause" means you're getting the school on probation or you made a pass at someone. On-field performance doesn't qualify as "fire for cause."