All other college sports!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Brian Kelly Backlash Has Already Started

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:19 am Hard to say there are any destination jobs anymore. Someone can and will always offer more money.
Yup. ND is a top 10 job in the eyes of most folks.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:36 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:19 am Hard to say there are any destination jobs anymore. Someone can and will always offer more money.
How do you rank them?

I have Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, USC and Oklahoma ahead of ND. Florida, Michigan, Penn State and Oregon are right there with or above ND. Texas, Miami, Tennessee and Florida State are probably equal to or above ND because of their potential as well.

Can ND attract and accept enough 4/5 star kids to compete with the big boys?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

1. Sac State
2. Navy
3. Liberty
4. Mount Union

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:55 pm

How do you rank them?

I have Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, USC and Oklahoma ahead of ND. Florida, Michigan, Penn State and Oregon are right there with or above ND. Texas, Miami, Tennessee and Florida State are probably equal to or above ND because of their potential as well.

Eh, the jobs move up and down all of the time. Almost depends who's in the current job. Would Clemson have been on that list prior to Dabo? I had to look up who was there before him (answer, Tommy Bowden), and Bowden stayed a long time there playing just above average football. And right now, how many coaches can you correctly name at each of those schools? Notre Dame has the street cred - you almost always know who the coach is at Notre Dame. That's a nice perk.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

How do you rank them?

:|

5. Notre Dame
NR USC
NR LSU

4. Notre Dame
17. USC
NR LSU

1. LSU
15. Notre Dame
22. USC

3. Notre Dame
11. LSU
NR USC

8. USC
14. Notre Dame
17. LSU

9. USC
20. LSU
NR Notre Dame

8. Notre Dame
20. LSU
25. USC
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:50 pm
How do you rank them?

5. Notre Dame
NR USC
NR LSU

4. Notre Dame
17. USC
NR LSU

1. LSU
15. Notre Dame
22. USC

3. Notre Dame
11. LSU
NR USC

8. USC
14. Notre Dame
17. LSU

9. USC
20. LSU
NR Notre Dame

8. Notre Dame
20. LSU
25. USC
You and Ganny are looking at the past, I'm looking forward into the future. Why did Kelly bail? Because he feels like he has a better chance to win it all at LSU. The schools I listed have the ability to recruit 4/5 star athletes and have less restrictive admission requirements. I don't think there are nearly as many top coaches for whom ND is a dream job as there used to be. ND used to be a dream job for almost every coach in America now it's a dream job for a handful of coaches.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pm You and Ganny are looking at the past, I'm looking forward into the future.
:lol:

OK Swami.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pm

5. Notre Dame
NR USC
NR LSU

4. Notre Dame
17. USC
NR LSU

1. LSU
15. Notre Dame
22. USC

3. Notre Dame
11. LSU
NR USC

8. USC
14. Notre Dame
17. LSU

9. USC
20. LSU
NR Notre Dame

8. Notre Dame
20. LSU
25. USC
You and Ganny are looking at the past, I'm looking forward into the future. Why did Kelly bail? Because he feels like he has a better chance to win it all at LSU. The schools I listed have the ability to recruit 4/5 star athletes and have less restrictive admission requirements. I don't think there are nearly as many top coaches for whom ND is a dream job as there used to be. ND used to be a dream job for almost every coach in America now it's a dream job for a handful of coaches.
Kelly bailed because LSU offered to make him the highest paid coach in college football. You can't blame Kelly for leaving, he didn't have a particularly high salary at Notre Dame and LSU offered to give him $10mil a year. I'm pretty sure I'd take that deal too.

As for getting players, I'm sure it's harder work getting the top players to and into Notre Dame than it would be to get them into LSU, but as the evidence over the past few years, and especially this last year once Freeman came on board, Notre Dame can pull in great recruiting classes. But, you have to work harder at it at Notre Dame than you do at an SEC school - the weather's not as nice, the academic bar is higher, and you don't have an SEC logo on your sleeve. Brian Kelly got offered an easier job for almost 3x-4x what he was getting paid - no shame in taking that offer, especially if he's thinking of retiring in the next 10 years - get your money and enjoy.

I think it's noticeable that so many of the assistant coaches chose to stay at Notre Dame and with Freeman rather than following Kelly to the SEC promised land. For a place that's not a top job anymore (per you), people seem to still want it.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

If LSU is paying Kelly $10M, what do they have left for his assistants? Wouldn't that make the coordinators worth at least $2.5M? And factor in advertising, food, and travel on top of that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:28 pm People are already bashing Kelly (grew up around Boston) for allegedly faking a Southern accent. One pundit has even gone so far as to assert that he now sounds like "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Frankly, I can't hear what they're talking about, and I loved Dusty Rhodes....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/internet-h ... 22117.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

OK. Now I hear it....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

5. Notre Dame
NR USC
NR LSU

4. Notre Dame
17. USC
NR LSU

1. LSU
15. Notre Dame
22. USC

3. Notre Dame
11. LSU
NR USC

8. USC
14. Notre Dame
17. LSU

9. USC
20. LSU
NR Notre Dame

8. Notre Dame
20. LSU
25. USC
:nod:

Also the allure of ND being able to recruit nationally isn't what it use to be with the big names being on TV and in the media all the time. Also ESPN pimping the product they have under contract helps too.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

How do you rank them?

Most of those I would agree with you…I don’t know about Tennessee and FL State….or even Penn State at this point in their relevancy curve.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:38 pm

How do you rank them?

Most of those I would agree with you…I don’t know about Tennessee and FL State….or even Penn State at this point in their relevancy curve.
Anyone can be relevant if they are in a conference with the right media deal. I think the bigger question is "resources", and didn't pedo state just throw a big extension at their HC?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm

Also the allure of ND being able to recruit nationally isn't what it use to be with the big names being on TV and in the media all the time. Also ESPN pimping the product they have under contract helps too.
You make it seem like Notre Dame has been on the downswing recently. The opposite is true, the Notre Dame of today is far more competitive nationally than they were 20 years ago. I know the CFP isn't that long of an entity, but there are currently just 4 programs in the nation (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and Oklahoma) that have more appearances in the CFP than Notre Dame does. Somehow they are able to make do apparently. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm

You make it seem like Notre Dame has been on the downswing recently. The opposite is true, the Notre Dame of today is far more competitive nationally than they were 20 years ago. I know the CFP isn't that long of an entity, but there are currently just 4 programs in the nation (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and Oklahoma) that have more appearances in the CFP than Notre Dame does. Somehow they are able to make do apparently. :coffee:
Yeah but you're going way back in time. These guys can apparently see 10 years into the future. They predicted the downturn of Nebraska, Florida State, Miami....
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

If I'm a ND fan it's really hard to justify hiring Freeman when Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell, and Jeff Brohm would all take that job.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:29 pm If I'm a ND fan it's really hard to justify hiring Freeman when Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell, and Jeff Brohm would all take that job.
Nonsense. Freeman is a guy you know and a guy who's proven he can operate at Notre Dame. He's been pegged as this prodigy of recruiting (even under Fickell) and he brings a vitality and passion that could really work. Of the three you listed, Fickell would be the only guy I would say could be a better choice than Freeman, and that's just because he's won, and won consistently, at the place he's head coach at right now. Campbell has been a good coach at Iowa St, but in 6 years at Iowa St. he's won just 1 Big 12 title and that was the only year he didn't lose at least 3 conference games. I get that Oklahoma is really good, but you're losing a lot of other games in a Big 12 conference that many don't have a high opinion about. As for Brohm, I don't see how you could justify bringing in a guy who doesn't even have a winning record, overall or in the Big 10, in his time at Purdue. I think he's a good coach, but is he winning recruiting battles, even in that region of the country, with that track record? Notre Dame could crash and burn with this hire, but his ceiling is much higher than any of the guys you mentioned.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:04 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 pm

Yeah but you're going way back in time. These guys can apparently see 10 years into the future. They predicted the downturn of Nebraska, Florida State, Miami....
The Nebraska downfall was predictable. They joined a conference that went away from their recruiting pipelines into one with a declining population.

Not sure on FSU, thinking they just had some dud hires at HC.

Miami got sanctioned with the big pay for play scheme (before it became legal) and haven't really recovered since. With the new pay for play rules, the U should be able to recover more so than FSU.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

FWIW, 2022 recruiting rankings as of now....

7. Notre Dame
10. Oklahoma
22. LSU
99. Southern Cal