FBS Realignment

All other college sports!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

FBS Realignment

Post by UNI88 »

If Texas and Oklahoma Bolt to the SEC, What Happens to the Rest of the Big 12?
The conference's two flagship schools are threatening to leave. What are the options for the "Tagalong Eight"?
Is bizumbville buzzing with the possibility of an invite from the Big XII?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: FBS Realignment

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd much rather see the resurrection of the original Big XII and the Southwestern Conference....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am If Texas and Oklahoma Bolt to the SEC, What Happens to the Rest of the Big 12?
The conference's two flagship schools are threatening to leave. What are the options for the "Tagalong Eight"?

Interesting prospect! It might fit the travel requirements that NDSU will require for their new home. And I think that when they do move, they will have pretty immediate success.

Will an SEC expansion trigger a Big 10/ACC/PAC Whatever # expansion? Will the AAC get raided?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm surprised the P5 hasn't demanded that the G5 be forcibly dropped to FCS. Wouldn't that eliminate even the possibility of the upset they don't believe will ever happen but probably will at some point?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am If Texas and Oklahoma Bolt to the SEC, What Happens to the Rest of the Big 12?

Interesting prospect! It might fit the travel requirements that NDSU will require for their new home. And I think that when they do move, they will have pretty immediate success.

Will an SEC expansion trigger a Big 10/ACC/PAC Whatever # expansion? Will the AAC get raided?
It was tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure there are a number of delusional bizumb fans who think a Big XII invite should be coming if this happens.

Big 12 Leaders Expect Texas, Oklahoma to Depart, Leaving Conference in Disarray
Do Big 12 teams become the hunter (Option 2) or the hunted (Option 1)?
In the search for a rebuilt Big 12 (Option 2), the goal is to make additions that would keep the conference among the Autonomy 5, giving it more legislative freedom and, more importantly, retaining its tie-ins with the New Year’s Six bowl games. Those that make geographic and financial sense include Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and possibly SMU. There are other outliers that reign atop the Group of 5, such as UCF, BYU and Boise State. Either way, the Big 12’s media rights deal is likely to see significant changes with the departure of its two most profitable programs.

Option 1 could reshape college sports. Panicked and spooked, some Big 12 members could bolt from a league in shambles. The Pac-12 has four open spots to reach the 16-team mark. The ACC and Big Ten have two each. West Virginia is already geographically more aligned with the ACC, and Kansas is a basketball boon for any league, despite its football failures. Baylor men’s basketball just claimed the national championship, and TCU has the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

If the Big 12 isn’t quick enough with its rebuild, schools might scatter.
I don't see NDSU listed as a possibility.

The AAC definitely gets raided, the MWC might as well.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:38 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm

It was tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure there are a number of delusional bizumb fans who think a Big XII invite should be coming if this happens.

In the search for a rebuilt Big 12 (Option 2), the goal is to make additions that would keep the conference among the Autonomy 5, giving it more legislative freedom and, more importantly, retaining its tie-ins with the New Year’s Six bowl games. Those that make geographic and financial sense include Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis and possibly SMU. There are other outliers that reign atop the Group of 5, such as UCF, BYU and Boise State. Either way, the Big 12’s media rights deal is likely to see significant changes with the departure of its two most profitable programs.

Option 1 could reshape college sports. Panicked and spooked, some Big 12 members could bolt from a league in shambles. The Pac-12 has four open spots to reach the 16-team mark. The ACC and Big Ten have two each. West Virginia is already geographically more aligned with the ACC, and Kansas is a basketball boon for any league, despite its football failures. Baylor men’s basketball just claimed the national championship, and TCU has the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

I understood it was tongue in cheek. :lol: But this could lead to a shitload of changes. I'm almost afraid to open up Yosefs Cabin.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:43 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:38 pm

I understood it was tongue in cheek. :lol: But this could lead to a shitload of changes. I'm almost afraid to open up Yosefs Cabin.
I think I'm going to take a peak at AGS later to see how bad the delusion is there. I might even chum the water. :D

Would teams bolt the Sunbelch for the AAC? I know the AAC has the rep but the Sunbelch has done really well with wins & bowls, it's more geographically compact, and it has better rivalries.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:45 pm

I think I'm going to take a peak at AGS later to see how bad the delusion is there. I might even chum the water. :D

Would teams bolt the Sunbelch for the AAC? I know the AAC has the rep but the Sunbelch has done really well with wins & bowls, it's more geographically compact, and it has better rivalries.
I'm no expert, but my guess is yes. I know ULL fans took it poorly and talked of leaving when App and Georgia Southern were invited into the league. Their fans are pretty snooty considering their actual accomplishments. I think a lot of App fans would love the chance. And the AAC does include East Carolina, so that would be kind of cool, particularly if GSU and maybe Coastal made the move as well. I did check the App site and there is a fair amount of discussion. Some mention of "being left out in the cold again", whatever that means. I'm okay either way, as long as we can compete.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 pm

I'm no expert, but my guess is yes. I know ULL fans took it poorly and talked of leaving when App and Georgia Southern were invited into the league. Their fans are pretty snooty considering their actual accomplishments. I think a lot of App fans would love the chance. And the AAC does include East Carolina, so that would be kind of cool, particularly if GSU and maybe Coastal made the move as well. I did check the App site and there is a fair amount of discussion. Some mention of "being left out in the cold again", whatever that means. I'm okay either way, as long as we can compete.
What if the AAC raids CUSA and then CUSA raids the Belt?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 pm

What if the AAC raids CUSA and then CUSA raids the Belt?

I don't know. I'm not sure that joining CUSA would be a real improvement over our current situation. Maybe there's some more prestige involved, but not much. I also don't know that CUSA would be interested in App. I thought they were more interested in bringing teams on that are near large population centers (UNCC and ODU). All ASU would bring is winning football and a nearly full stadium. For Saturday games at least.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

This is all dumb, in my book. It's all about that alleged "moneymaker" known as a Conference Championship Game, which requires a certain high number of teams. Having that many teams dilutes the league and means there are league foes who don't face each other in any given season. For me, that is incredibly stupid. I still think nine "regular" member schools, with a potential tenth "associate" member school for hoops (travel partner) and other such sports is perfect, as you can play everybody, foster rivalries that much easier, and still have room for a good OOC schedule. This is all about "sports capitalism." When you don't have even competition, things whomp. More leagues, more auto-bids to the playoffs, and a decent number of at-large bids is the way to go. Like what you see here in FCS. The whole "define everybody out" mentality of the FBS is incredibly dumb, as it defines out the story-making upset before it even has a chance to happen. Incredibly dumb....

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm Interesting prospect! It might fit the travel requirements that NDSU will require for their new home. And I think that when they do move, they will have pretty immediate success.

We are not. Too far North and not enough money to make the jump.

Plus our President was fired (after 11 years of pretty good performance) and the state board of higher education is looking at reigning in NDSU's independence, which means we will be under a microscope even more so.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
:nod:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote:I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
Same. Will see how the smaller conferences with less money shake out but my interest is waning.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Or Go to eGriz - they are already packing for the move to the Mountain West.

As far as leaving the Belt for the AAC - in a heartbeat. Much higher profile conference and schools.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:33 pm

As far as leaving the Belt for the AAC - in a heartbeat. Much higher profile conference and schools.
Would the AAC call or will they more likely raid CUSA? Does CUSA have a higher profile? If it does, is it based on past reputation or reality?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:33 pm

“they”? I think literally ONE guy is making that claim. :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Texas and Oklahoma could owe the Big 12 $80 million each to exit early. Negotiations are likely underway to lower that amount and get an early out instead of waiting until 2025. Who's going to blink first?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:56 am Texas and Oklahoma could owe the Big 12 $80 million each to exit early. Negotiations are likely underway to lower that amount and get an early out instead of waiting until 2025. Who's going to blink first?
There will be concessions made by both sides but I don't see the Big XII letting Texas and Oklahoma too far off the hook, they're going to pay a boatload of money.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 pm I love college football, but I really don't like the direction... mega conferences, paying players... I'm about done with it.
I like it in the sense that this finally separates the big boys from everyone else. NIL was the final nail to force the re-alignment. Let's get this party going. Now the rest of us D1 programs (mainly the G5 folks) can stop pretending to be on par with the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the college football world and make better long term decisions.

There is too much money for the B12 to go away, especially if Texas and Oklahoma payout the conference to leave before the GOR expires in June 2025. That means the B12 can add whatever AAC teams bring the most value. The new B12 will be a shell of its former self and be slightly above AAC status on the college football pecking order.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 am
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:56 am Texas and Oklahoma could owe the Big 12 $80 million each to exit early. Negotiations are likely underway to lower that amount and get an early out instead of waiting until 2025. Who's going to blink first?
There will be concessions made by both sides but I don't see the Big XII letting Texas and Oklahoma too far off the hook, they're going to pay a boatload of money.
Yup, they'll negotiate a payout and that monies will be the leverage the remaining B12 teams use to poach an AAC school or 2.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 am
Yup, they'll negotiate a payout and that monies will be the leverage the remaining B12 teams use to poach an AAC school or 2.
Do the remaining power conferences try to poach a team or two from the B12 or another power conference? Lots of rumors flying around:
- B1G0 looking at Oklahoma & Kansas
- B1G0 only interested in AAU schools
- USC to the B1G0 rumors are not crazy

Bowlsby's a sharp dude, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a plan.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Wow. I thought the Big "I Don't Know How to Count" Conference was bent out of shape with the introduction of the Bugeaters, Penn State, MD, and Rutgers. With U$C, they would look like the Sun Belch.

That said, I don't think they'd abandon their rivalry with UCLA. They're going to stick around in the Pac-12....

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:11 am
I like it in the sense that this finally separates the big boys from everyone else. NIL was the final nail to force the re-alignment. Let's get this party going. Now the rest of us D1 programs (mainly the G5 folks) can stop pretending to be on par with the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the college football world and make better long term decisions.

There is too much money for the B12 to go away, especially if Texas and Oklahoma payout the conference to leave before the GOR expires in June 2025. That means the B12 can add whatever AAC teams bring the most value. The new B12 will be a shell of its former self and be slightly above AAC status on the college football pecking order.
I'm not sure I understand your position. Vandy and Kentucky are still in the SEC. Are they big boys, or are you thinking they get kicked to the curb? This is really bad for CF IMO.