College Sports Budget Cuts

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

College Sports Budget Cuts

Post by SuperHornet »

Have you ever heard of colleges granting reprieves to athletic programs after announcing budget cuts? This recently happened at Alaska-Anchorage, which announced in 2020 that they would drop hockey, gymnastics, and alpine skiing. All three managed to raise enough funds by a deadline to resurrect their programs for 2022.

I seem to remember some mid-90s danger for Sac State football, but that was somehow dodged. Perhaps SD has more info on that, as he's our resident genius. Do the rest of you remember anything like this? I'm interested, because it seems like if there's ANY question of a team disappearing due to budget cuts, it NEVER comes back, like UOP and Hofstra football (both important to me because one of my fellow UOP quarterbacks took Hofstra to the playoffs after UOP lost the program, and then THEY went away after he was drafted by the 49ers, thereby becoming the only one of the six UOP quarterbacks to be drafted, though one other did play pro ball in the XFL)....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Re: College Sports Budget Cuts

Post by tribe_pride »

William and Mary for about 6 sports announced in August and September for this upcoming year, now they are back with fundraising goals (met for next year) and the AD is now gone.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: College Sports Budget Cuts

Post by SuperHornet »

tribe_pride wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:54 pm William and Mary for about 6 sports announced in August and September for this upcoming year, now they are back with fundraising goals (met for next year) and the AD is now gone.
That's interesting. I wonder how much the AD was involved in the decision to cut those sports. Sounds like there was some internal conflict going on....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.