All other college sports!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

2021 NCAA Lacrosse Tourney

Post by 89Hen »

You flyover guys can ignore this thread.

Maryland, Georgetown, UVA and Loyola all advance to the quarterfinals over the weekend. Great showing for the "local" teams. The seedings this year were a CF. Maryland goes undefeated and was ranked #1 in the polls and gets the three seed. They get to face Notre Dame in South Bend in the quarters. ND is definitely a top four team. Meanwhile UNC gets to face Rutgers and Duke gets Loyola. :ohno:

IF the chalk holds the final four would be UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia. Doesn't get much better for lax.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2021 NCAA Lacrosse Tourney

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 am You flyover guys can ignore this thread.

Maryland, Georgetown, UVA and Loyola all advance to the quarterfinals over the weekend. Great showing for the "local" teams. The seedings this year were a CF. Maryland goes undefeated and was ranked #1 in the polls and gets the three seed. They get to face Notre Dame in South Bend in the quarters. ND is definitely a top four team. Meanwhile UNC gets to face Rutgers and Duke gets Loyola. :ohno:

IF the chalk holds the final four would be UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia. Doesn't get much better for lax.
The Orange have a player from my kids' high school in flyover country so I was cheering for them despite the turmoil (or because of how the team captains handled it).
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

More kids are playing. My HS was the first public HS in Delaware to have lax in 1985. It spreads. IMO it's a terrible game. Great sport, terrible game. They can fix it, just like soccer can fix it, but the stalwarts don't care what us common folk think.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:10 pm More kids are playing. My HS was the first public HS in Delaware to have lax in 1985. It spreads. IMO it's a terrible game. Great sport, terrible game. They can fix it, just like soccer can fix it, but the stalwarts don't care what us common folk think.
I actually agree. Lacrosse has all the looks of a game that should be good, but in the end it's a really boring game. And it can be so dominated by one spot - if you can win the majority of faceoffs then you should win the game. Besides, I think the out of bounds rule (guy closest to the ball when it goes out gets the ball back) is silly - I think it's the only sport where you position your own team near the sidelines so that when you throw it out you get the ball back anyway. It's like watching a home run derby - fun for about the first 5 minutes until you realize that's all its going to be.

Kids do play it in large numbers though. In high school my part of PA (Delaware County) was just playing it. I moved a little further north to another Philly suburb and in the last 20 years it's really expanded. Certainly has hurt baseball, in even just a short time. My eldest started baseball 11 years ago and in that time enrollment in the local baseball little league has dropped by more than half. Some did opt for the money route and are playing travel ball, but most either quit (or never even started playing) or played something else, lacrosse being the big beneficiary.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Shot clock WAY too long for a sport where it's nearly impossible to get the ball away from an offensive player if they don't want to give it up.

Shrink the field a little, shorten the shot clock and shorten the quarters. Easy fixes that I think would help.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Used to be no shot clock. In the 90s, it was bad when Princeton had the lead and the ball in the final quarter.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am
89Hen wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:10 pm More kids are playing. My HS was the first public HS in Delaware to have lax in 1985. It spreads. IMO it's a terrible game. Great sport, terrible game. They can fix it, just like soccer can fix it, but the stalwarts don't care what us common folk think.
I actually agree. Lacrosse has all the looks of a game that should be good, but in the end it's a really boring game. And it can be so dominated by one spot - if you can win the majority of faceoffs then you should win the game. Besides, I think the out of bounds rule (guy closest to the ball when it goes out gets the ball back) is silly - I think it's the only sport where you position your own team near the sidelines so that when you throw it out you get the ball back anyway. It's like watching a home run derby - fun for about the first 5 minutes until you realize that's all its going to be.

Kids do play it in large numbers though. In high school my part of PA (Delaware County) was just playing it. I moved a little further north to another Philly suburb and in the last 20 years it's really expanded. Certainly has hurt baseball, in even just a short time. My eldest started baseball 11 years ago and in that time enrollment in the local baseball little league has dropped by more than half. Some did opt for the money route and are playing travel ball, but most either quit (or never even started playing) or played something else, lacrosse being the big beneficiary.
After a shot, does the closest get it. Nice try though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 am You flyover guys can ignore this thread.

Ouch 89. Just because we happen to live in the desolate wastelands of fly-over country does not mean we can not appreciate the fine sport of Lacrosse. :ohno:

A coworker has his daughter in Lacrosse and she just got a scholarship to play for a Eastern college. Also I was just watching some of the highlights last night. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am

That was the intent of my comment. Heck, does the ball ever go out of bounds other than a shot? And really, what's the benefit of the closest getting possession following a shot? If you've missed everything on the shot, why get it back just because you parked someone near the end line? Like the other poster said, it's almost impossible to get the ball away from the offense. The shot clock is incredibly long, and the offense couldn't be any more repetitive. It's like a John Calipari dribble-drive offense on steroids. The most exciting part is the scramble on the face-off, after that it's just the same thing over and over again.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 am After a shot, does the closest get it. Nice try though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was the intent of my comment. Heck, does the ball ever go out of bounds other than a shot? And really, what's the benefit of the closest getting possession following a shot? If you've missed everything on the shot, why get it back just because you parked someone near the end line? Like the other poster said, it's almost impossible to get the ball away from the offense. The shot clock is incredibly long, and the offense couldn't be any more repetitive. It's like a John Calipari dribble-drive offense on steroids. The most exciting part is the scramble on the face-off, after that it's just the same thing over and over again.
You implied the players position themselves around the field and just throw the ball out to advance the ball. Keep telling yourself you know what your talking about though. I won’t say anything else. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am
andy7171 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 am

I'll take a stab at this:
Maybe we are looking at the out of bounds line in the wrong way. Maybe lacrosse looks at the lines as a time saver line and a field space limit. Let's say there was no line or limit to the field. What would happen? The guy closest to the ball would get to it first and gain/maintain possession. The lines help speed up the game in this sense. If you changed possession, then the ball would have to travel the length of the field which would add less action in the offensive end, thus making the game less exciting.

I like to ask why to situations like this and try to figure out what the answer might be rather than say something negative at first sight. I really don't know enough about the game to know the actual answer but that is the first thing that came to my head on the design of the game.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am
I'll take a stab at this:
Maybe we are looking at the out of bounds line in the wrong way. Maybe lacrosse looks at the lines as a time saver line and a field space limit. Let's say there was no line or limit to the field. What would happen? The guy closest to the ball would get to it first and gain/maintain possession. The lines help speed up the game in this sense. If you changed possession, then the ball would have to travel the length of the field which would add less action in the offensive end, thus making the game less exciting.

I like to ask why to situations like this and try to figure out what the answer might be rather than say something negative at first sight. I really don't know enough about the game to know the actual answer but that is the first thing that came to my head on the design of the game.
Sure.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 am IF the chalk holds the final four would be UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia. Doesn't get much better for lax.
And there it is. Three of the games took OT. Great quarters!
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Great games yesterday. Thank god there wasn't a sideline game where one team just kept players arranged around the field and played keep away by throwing the ball out of bounds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While 90 seconds is a bit long, I remember the time killing games before it was made a rule.

Esp. the girls side. At least in mens you can check and challenge the person with the ball.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:15 pm
GannonFan wrote:

You implied the players position themselves around the field and just throw the ball out to advance the ball. Keep telling yourself you know what your talking about though. I won’t say anything else. Image

Sure. Didn't have anything to do with you trying to twist it to be something that I didn't imply. Had nothing to do with you being defensive about any criticism of the sport. Keep telling yourself that. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:54 am I'll take a stab at this:

I regularly watch Aussie Football and the field is huge, but when the ball goes out they have several officials around the ring that quickly toss in a jump ball. I don't know if that would work in LAX, but it sure works in Footie. Freemantle v Sydney was a fantastic match on Saturday.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 am
andy7171 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:15 pm

Sure. Didn't have anything to do with you trying to twist it to be something that I didn't imply. Had nothing to do with you being defensive about any criticism of the sport. Keep telling yourself that. :rofl:
the only sport where you position your own team near the sidelines so that when you throw it out you get the ball back

I musta misread this. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 am

the only sport where you position your own team near the sidelines so that when you throw it out you get the ball back

I musta misread this. :coffee:
You did, but you are a Towson grad so it's excusable - there's a guy behind the goal, sometimes two, to specifically be in position to claim possession once a shot, and they often do, misses everything and heads out of bounds. I like the rule that the stick counts as a part of the body for that too. :rofl: