AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Sun Belt 2021 Thread

Post by AshevilleApp »

A thread for everyone to show love for their favorite non-FCS Conference. :D

Appalachian and Coastal Carolina play in one semi-final of the SB tournament tonight, after App knocked off top seeded Texas State yesterday.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Sun Belt 2021 Thread

Post by AshevilleApp »

Appalachian releases their schedule for the 2021 season. Highlights include a neutral site (Charlotte) game against East Carolina to open the season, Marshall in Boone, a trip to Miami, two nationally broadcast conference games and a season ender with Georgia Southern.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/footb ... edule/2021
Last edited by AshevilleApp on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Holy shit, App is in the conference final tonight against Georgia State! Never saw this coming. :shock:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Coastal Baseball is off to a 7-3 start. They took Wake Forrest to 12 innings to win 4-1, last week I think (maybe 2 weeks ago). It's shaping up to a be good season. Too bad they don't come up here to play UNC-C or Winthrop. I guess i'll have to settle for AppState when they come to town.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

And the Mountaineers will be dancing! Only the 3rd time App has made the NCAA Tournament. :clap:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 am Coastal Baseball is off to a 7-3 start. They took Wake Forrest to 12 innings to win 4-1, last week I think (maybe 2 weeks ago). It's shaping up to a be good season. Too bad they don't come up here to play UNC-C or Winthrop. I guess i'll have to settle for AppState when they come to town.
The National Championship y'all won in baseball a few years back is still one of the most fun sports stories I've seen, that wasn't related to a team I pull for directly. :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:54 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 am Coastal Baseball is off to a 7-3 start. They took Wake Forrest to 12 innings to win 4-1, last week I think (maybe 2 weeks ago). It's shaping up to a be good season. Too bad they don't come up here to play UNC-C or Winthrop. I guess i'll have to settle for AppState when they come to town.
The National Championship y'all won in baseball a few years back is still one of the most fun sports stories I've seen, that wasn't related to a team I pull for directly. :nod:
:nod: :nod:
That was exciting. I had just started a new job at the Bank and I was watching it from my desk and then this Greek restaurant down the street. I loved every minute of that NC. Lil CCU and I watched almost every game (except for those day games during the work week). I typically tune in until South Carolina loses or any other SC/NC team (but not Duke...:) )
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:08 am And the Mountaineers will be dancing! Only the 3rd time App has made the NCAA Tournament. :clap:
As I told Appaholic on FB - Up next - Michigan!
:thumb:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:08 am And the Mountaineers will be dancing! Only the 3rd time App has made the NCAA Tournament. :clap:
When you only reach the tournament every 21 years (1979, 2000 and 2021), you don't really care about who you play. :nod:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:30 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am

When you only reach the tournament every 21 years (1979, 2000 and 2021), you don't really care about who you play. :nod:
Words hurt, AA. :lol:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Going to throw this in here.

Under this, Cincy and either Louisiana or Coastal would have made the playoffs last year. And, on campus first round playoff games. :clap:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Sun Belt with multiple teams ranked in preseason AP poll. Last time a non-AQ league had multiple teams ranked preseason was when the MWC had TCU and Boise State ranked.

Kinda surprised Coastal is ranked and not Liberty, but shows the respect the league is getting.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AppState and Coastal are still playing but they’re absolutely dominating ECU and The Citadel, respectively. I’m really looking forward to the conference play this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm AppState and Coastal are still playing but they’re absolutely dominating ECU and The Citadel, respectively. I’m really looking forward to the conference play this year.

:nod:

Feels good to beat East Carolina!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm AppState and Coastal are still playing but they’re absolutely dominating ECU and The Citadel, respectively. I’m really looking forward to the conference play this year.

It should! I was watching last night and AppState was playing smart football. I tuned in during the 2nd Q and they had 2 penalties for 15 yards. ECU already had 5 for 60yds. They just couldn't connect.

I DO think ECU got robbed of a TD. There's no way there was indisputable evidence that they didn't have it after the Hail Mary pass.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Week 1

Sept. 2
Coastal Carolina - 52
The Citadel - 14

App State - 33
ECU - 19

Sept. 4
LA-Monroe @ Kentucky

GA-Southern vs Gardner Webb

Georgia State vs Army

Louisiana @ Texas

Arkansas State vs Central Arkansas

Troy vs Southern U.

Texas State vs Baylor

South Alabama vs Southern Miss
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:01 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 pm

It should! I was watching last night and AppState was playing smart football. I tuned in during the 2nd Q and they had 2 penalties for 15 yards. ECU already had 5 for 60yds. They just couldn't connect.

I DO think ECU got robbed of a TD. There's no way there was indisputable evidence that they didn't have it after the Hail Mary pass.
I don't know. You could tell someone caught it, but after watching it a dozen times on the Jumbotron it looked like our guy got both hands around the ball and made contact with the ground with possession. Either way, I don't mind the outcome. :thumb:

It was cool to be in that size arena, but seeing 37k people in a venue with 74k capacity seemed a bit paltry.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

ASUG8 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:01 am

I don't know. You could tell someone caught it, but after watching it a dozen times on the Jumbotron it looked like our guy got both hands around the ball and made contact with the ground with possession. Either way, I don't mind the outcome. :thumb:

It was cool to be in that size arena, but seeing 37k people in a venue with 74k capacity seemed a bit paltry.
They did some overview shots and the way people were scattered - it looked fuller than it was.

Also - there's an AppState fan (male) in a dress that got a lot of air time. WTF is going on up there!? :suspicious:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Georgia Southern had its hands full with Gardner-Webb, but the Eagles held on for the 30-25 win. I’ll look to Brother Baldy for the analysis. :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:Georgia Southern had its hands full with Gardner-Webb, but the Eagles held on for the 30-25 win. I’ll look to Brother Baldy for the analysis. :thumb:
No way GW is that good. GSU must be really bad.

I wish that Eagleskins turd was still around

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Ivytalk wrote:Georgia Southern had its hands full with Gardner-Webb, but the Eagles held on for the 30-25 win. I’ll look to Brother Baldy for the analysis. :thumb:

Was that the "No cops, no lunch." guy? :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:30 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm

No, that was Opie. ODU fan, I believe.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Sun Belt 2021 Thread

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:30 am

No, that was Opie. ODU fan, I believe.
I think Opie was also a GSU guy.

Eagleskins was Sean-something on AGS and he was a real cunt

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Mullets, weekly trophies and a live chicken. Coastal Carolina is ready for its encore as college football's most fun team
After Coastal blew out Kansas, 38-23, to open last season, it etched its mark into college football’s consciousness week after rollicking week. The country gawked at the Chanticleers' WWE-style victory celebrations, admired their flowing mullets and related to the overachieving crew of squatty “Mighty Mite” offensive linemen.

Chadwell himself emerged as a folksy fixture in the sport, taking a team that went 5-7 in 2019 and leading it to an undefeated regular season and Sun Belt title. To commemorate the league title, Chadwell grew out a mullet of his own as a promise to his team.
Ibanez we need pics of your mullet. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am Mullets, weekly trophies and a live chicken. Coastal Carolina is ready for its encore as college football's most fun team
After Coastal blew out Kansas, 38-23, to open last season, it etched its mark into college football’s consciousness week after rollicking week. The country gawked at the Chanticleers' WWE-style victory celebrations, admired their flowing mullets and related to the overachieving crew of squatty “Mighty Mite” offensive linemen.

Chadwell himself emerged as a folksy fixture in the sport, taking a team that went 5-7 in 2019 and leading it to an undefeated regular season and Sun Belt title. To commemorate the league title, Chadwell grew out a mullet of his own as a promise to his team.
Ibanez we need pics of your mullet. :D
I have no mullet to share, sorry bud. If they match or better their 2020 season, i'll grow one. I like the media we're getting. We got a lot of attention last year and I think this year will be equally impressive for us. Our old coach, Moglia made a "generous" gift, whatever that means, but it's in the millions.
The university announced earlier this week that Moglia, a former chairman and CEO of TD Ameritrade who still serves as the school's chair of athletics and executive director of football, made a generous gift to start the design of an indoor practice facility, which will include football operations, a weight room, coaches offices, recruiting area, academic enhancement center and a dining hall. The athletic department has to complete fundraising to build the football facility.

ESPN has a similar article.
Last October, after Coastal Carolina stunned Louisiana 30-27 on the road, a few players asked coach Jamey Chadwell if he would grow a mullet if they won the Sun Belt Conference championship.

Since the Chanticleers had been picked by the media to finish last in the Sun Belt East in the preseason, Chadwell figured he had nothing to lose by saying yes.

"I told them, 'Oh yeah, I'll do it,'" Chadwell said. "Of course, I had no idea we'd win the championship."
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... re-mullets