All other college sports!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: HERstory is made!

Post by 89Hen »

FTR, I enjoyed coaching girls sports way more than boys sports over the years. I coached both in soccer, ice hockey and baseball/softball. But there weren't any girl HS players I couldn't outskate, but I wouldn't have made varsity on my son's team.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:49 pm :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really feel bad for the parents LYING to their kids over this. The ONLY reason she kicked that ball is because it's a publicity stunt. I'd wager there are 693 guys at Vandy that could kick better.
You couldn't kick better than her. Unless 1 out of every 10 guys on the Vanderbilt campus are current or former soccer players, I doubt that 693 of them could either.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:10 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:49 pm :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really feel bad for the parents LYING to their kids over this. The ONLY reason she kicked that ball is because it's a publicity stunt. I'd wager there are 693 guys at Vandy that could kick better.
You couldn't kick better than her. Unless 1 out of every 10 guys on the Vanderbilt campus are current or former soccer players, I doubt that 693 of them could either.
I'm 53, I would hope to hell I couldn't. But I guaranfuckingtee I could kick better prior to 40. :nod: :nod: :nod:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:10 pm
I'm 53, I would hope to hell I couldn't. But I guaranfuckingtee I could kick better prior to 40. :nod: :nod: :nod:
Would you toe kick it or use your instep?

Her kick might have looked bad but I think that's because the coach asked her to squib kick it. Goalies and defenders can typically boot the ball (although a goalie might actually be a better punter) and the starting goalie on the SEC championship team probably has a pretty good foot.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:25 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Her kick might have looked bad but I think that's because the coach asked her to squib kick it. Goalies and defenders can typically boot the ball (although a goalie might actually be a better punter) and the starting goalie on the SEC championship team probably has a pretty good foot.
Instep. I may be a bad example because I loved kicking and punting growing up (I was a shrimp). I was punting spirals by the time I was 7 (older brothers). While I was coaching my kids soccer I could airmail the goal from midfield.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:11 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Instep. I may be a bad example because I loved kicking and punting growing up (I was a shrimp). I was punting spirals by the time I was 7 (older brothers). While I was coaching my kids soccer I could airmail the goal from midfield.
You would be an exception. I was the same way - during elementary school kickball games, I stumbled upon the realization that I could kick it further and more accurately using my instep.

Kicking off of a tee is relatively straightforward but point-afters/FGs are much harder because of the snap and the hold. Experienced soccer players have a better chance of making the adjustments needed for a bad snap/hold.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89, your girlfriend kicked an XP. First woman to score points in a Power 5 football game!

:poke:
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:46 pm 89, your girlfriend kicked an XP. First woman to score points in a Power 5 football game!

:poke:
And then she kicked a 39 yard FG! Oh wait, no she apparently can't kick the ball that far, so they sent out a real kicker...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Actually, Sarah kicked TWO extra points yesterday. That's all the touchdowns Vandy could muster. They SHOULD have let her kick that 39-yard FG, too.

She likely won't get a chance for ANYTHING next week, as the Commodores are slated to finish their season with a make-up game against #9 Georgia, which took Mizzou to the woodshed yesterday....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

From SI's MMQB
So for everyone who’s taken issue with Vanderbilt getting Sarah Fuller a couple of PATs on Saturday, I’ve got a story. The Commodores’ special teams coach is Devin Fitzsimmons, and his brother Ian is a buddy of mine. Ian works for ESPN Radio, and part of the job is doing sidelines on college football games. He was assigned Tulsa-Cincinnati this weekend. It got canceled due to a COVID-19 outbreak in the Bearcat program, which freed Ian up. So he went to his wife, Katherine, and asked whether he could take their daughters out of school in Dallas, cash in some airline miles and fly them to Nashville for Vandy-Tennessee. “Sometimes, you can’t let school get in the way of an education,” he said to Katherine, who quickly signed off on the idea. They flew up Friday and went to the game Saturday. And Fuller pointed to them in the crowd pregame and then met them after the game. Ian’s 12-year-old daughter, Maren, is a softball pitcher and volleyball player. His 14-year-old, Rowan, plays on a select soccer team and, like Fuller, is a goalie. And they saw something that had never happened at a Power 5 school before, and probably wondered what they might be able to accomplish. My guess is anyone with a daughter will understand how cool that is.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:43 pm
So for everyone who’s taken issue with Vanderbilt getting Sarah Fuller a couple of PATs on Saturday.... My guess is anyone with a daughter will understand how cool that is.
FTR, I have ZERO issue with her/them doing this. It's their business. But it's a non-story. I have a daughter who I coached in soccer (4 years), softball (2 years), basketball (1 year) and ice hockey (6 years). I built a pitching circle in my backyard (finally filled it in this summer). I along with two other dads built a girls ice hockey program from scratch and won the league championship in year 5 over a team that had NEVER lost in league play.

I do not understand how cool this is. She did not earn her way on team for her leg. She earned her way on the team for having a vagina.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:57 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:43 pm
FTR, I have ZERO issue with her/them doing this. It's their business. But it's a non-story. I have a daughter who I coached in soccer (4 years), softball (2 years), basketball (1 year) and ice hockey (6 years). I built a pitching circle in my backyard (finally filled it in this summer). I along with two other dads built a girls ice hockey program from scratch and won the league championship in year 5 over a team that had NEVER lost in league play.

I do not understand how cool this is. She did not earn her way on team for her leg. She earned her way on the team for having a vagina.
Here we go again with you confusing your opinion for fact. You're entitled to your opinion but believing it doesn't make it fact. My opinion is that it is cool.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

89hen HATES female athletes!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:21 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Here we go again with you confusing your opinion for fact. You're entitled to your opinion but believing it doesn't make it fact. My opinion is that it is cool.
:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: "My guess is anyone with a daughter will understand how cool that is."

FALSE

It was asking for opinions dummy. :coffee: