89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Sun Belt 2019 Thread

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Six years after bolting the Southern Conference for something bigger, that goal is finally coming into focus. It’s not just about the Sun Belt championship now. The Cotton Bowl is in play.
I think it's great that App is ranked, but is the Cotton Bowl really the pinnacle of I-A football? :|
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
I think it's great that App is ranked, but is the Cotton Bowl really the pinnacle of I-A football? :|
G-5 maybe, but that is all we can expect. I'm good with that.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Up to #20 now. :clap:

It's one of the oldest and most storied bowl games. It's one of 6 that rotate in the playoff. And the ~$6,000,000 payout is not insignificant.

Clearly it is not the "pinnacle" - which would be a spot in the playoffs. But, it's a step up from the Camellia Bowl or New Orleans Bowl.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Appalachian State Isn’t Just That Small School That Beat Michigan Anymore

It’s going to be hard for any future Appalachian State football team to outshine the moment that the 2007 Mountaineers produced on Sept. 1, 2007, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Appalachian State already owns what many think of as the biggest upset in college football history, and at that point, the program was already coming off two Division I-AA (now the Football Championship Subdivision) national championships and on its way to a third.

But say this for the present-day Mountaineers: They are putting together a run that might make even those famous underdogs jealous. This year’s team is 7-0, with the pinnacle of its undefeated start coming in a road win at North Carolina — its first win over a Power Five opponent since the upset of Michigan. Appalachian State is No. 20 in both the coaches’ and Associated Press polls, the highest ranking in history for a Sun Belt Conference team, and this is no accident. The Boone, North Carolina, school is 48-11 since the start of 2015. Only Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and Oklahoma have a higher winning percentage in that span.

The Appalachian State teams that won three-straight national championships established the program as one of the best in the FCS. Since the Mountaineers used those years as a springboard up to the Football Bowl Subdivision, they’ve redefined what’s attainable for a school of their stature. The perennial overachievers have finished 12 of the past 14 seasons with a higher Football Power Index than they started with. They’ve won bowl games in four straight seasons, the first four in which they were eligible, and their unblemished record this season has brought yet another stunning possibility into play. They could sneak into one of the marquee New Year’s Six bowl games, which means, arguably, that they might soon have a win better than the shocker at Michigan.

Here’s the situation: Appalachian State plays Georgia Southern on Thursday night, and then comes the Mountaineers’ last game as an “underdog” this season: at South Carolina on Nov. 9. South Carolina is 3.3 points better on a neutral field according to FPI, but Jeff Sagarin’s model would have Appalachian State as a 1.2-point favorite in Columbia. The Mountaineers already beat North Carolina, which beat South Carolina in the season opener for the two teams. “The fact that we do that with the resources that we have and the limits that we have on resources, compared to those that we compete against, at least in the state, it just adds to our blue-collar, chip-on-our-shoulder mentality,” athletic director Doug Gillin told me Tuesday.

FPI gives Appalachian State an 11.9 percent chance to win out, but that’s up from 0.5 percent on Aug. 31. If the Mountaineers beat Georgia Southern and South Carolina, take care of business against Georgia State, Texas State and Troy and then win the Sun Belt title game, they’ll be in contention for a New Year’s Six bowl bid. 1 That would likely be in the Cotton Bowl against an at-large selection from one of the five major conferences.

The Mountaineers have gone from a middle-of-the-pack Southern Conference squad to an FCS dynasty to an FBS newcomer to a Sun Belt standard bearer, all in the past 30 years, largely because of continuity. From 1989 until last December, they had only two different head coaches: Jerry Moore from 1989 to 2012 and Scott Satterfield, Moore’s offensive coordinator, from 2013 to 2018. They’ve adapted their offensive scheme, sure, but they haven’t undergone a full-scale rebuild, partially due to personnel. The five recruiting classes (2015-19) that make up this year’s team each finished outside the top 100 in 247sports.com’s composite rankings, and this is still not a program oozing with NFL talent. “We’re a developmental program,” Gillin said. “Always have been, always will be.”

Then there was the biggest question yet about the sustainability of Appalachian State’s rise. Satterfield, who shepherded the program through the transition to the FBS with 48 wins in the first five years, left to become the head coach at Louisville and took five Appalachian State assistants with him. “You’re kind of riding a high, having a lot of success, getting more and more people on board and invested in the vision of being the best that we can be in the Sun Belt,” Gillin said. “And then we had to go hire a new football coach in December. I think you never really know how that’s going to go.” He chose a first-time head coach in North Carolina State offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz, who has kept the momentum building.

When asked about the effect on his new program of the national recognition, Drinkwitz kept the focus on Appalachian State’s goals of winning the Sun Belt and winning a bowl game. In that sense, the program seems content to stay on its current course for now, rather than knock on the door of a bigger conference or stump for an opportunity to compete for the national championship. After all, the next conference realignment may not be until at least 2023, and no Sun Belt team is within striking distance of the playoff.

“Right now, we’ve just got to keep winning,” Gillin said. “Ninety-five percent of this is just, win.”

Still, the opportunities to win keep getting bigger, starting with the upcoming bowl game — and the Mountaineers could even face a familiar foe. Michigan is 6-2, and if it wins out, it would be in line for the at-large spot in the Cotton Bowl. Twelve years after Appalachian State first announced its presence, a second win over the Wolverines would likely push it to the next level. Though this time, it would hardly be a surprise.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ap ... ssion=true
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Upset alert! GaSo leads Appy 24-7,end 3Q! :shock:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:Upset alert! GaSo leads Appy 24-7,end 3Q! :shock:
DOOF!

GSU wins 24-21.

POOF!
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
DOOF!

GSU wins 24-21.

POOF!
Is there a Polyester Bowl?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Somebody better do a welfare check on Reek. :lol:

Total domination for 3 quarters in Boone in the snow, and we tried our best to give it away in the 4th.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

App is 37-7 in Sun Belt games and 3 of those losses are to Georgia Southern.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
DOOF!

GSU wins 24-21.

POOF!
Is there a Polyester Bowl?
I dunno but I know them cotton bolls were counted before they were picked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Congratulations to Georgia Southern. App needs to rebound quickly, because the next two weeks don't get any easier than last night.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:Congratulations to Georgia Southern. App needs to rebound quickly, because the next two weeks don't get any easier than last night.
I’m seeing a pattern here of Reek jinxing things he gets excited about

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:Congratulations to Georgia Southern. App needs to rebound quickly, because the next two weeks don't get any easier than last night.
I’m seeing a pattern here of Reek jinxing things he gets excited about

“ And you can take your football and spike it up your ass.” — Reek, 10/31/19, on the Pelosi Resolution thread on the Poli Board

:rofl: :rofl:

Karma is a coont! :nod:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote:
Somebody better do a welfare check on Reek. :lol:

Total domination for 3 quarters in Boone in the snow, and we tried our best to give it away in the 4th.
Brother Baldy, were you and the missus there, or did you watch from the comfort of your own recliner? ;)
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote:
Baldy wrote: Somebody better do a welfare check on Reek. :lol:

Brother Baldy, were you and the missus there, or did you watch from the comfort of your own recliner? ;)
Yes, brotha. She who must be obeyed and I were there
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
Yes, brotha. She who must be obeyed and I were there
Awesome! Who else from the Red Flag Gang made it?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

WTF was that helmet design App St was wearing. Just put the yellow "A" on the helmet and quit trying to be cute.
:ohno: :ohno:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Just did a quick check at Yosef's Cabin, and folks are down and bitching. Reminds me why I haven't signed up there.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

WTH, Coastal? :ohno:

(I hate U-La-La)
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Well we now know that App is better than Carolina this year. :nod:

Now another shot at GSU next Saturday. I can only hope.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

Things got a bit close for comfort but we left with the win. Nice to have some bragging rights over both fanbases.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Must suck for Georgia to have lost to South Carolina, which is now 4-6 with a loss to a Sun Belt team.

Appalachian State won that game in spite of getting 11 first downs to South Carolina's 22 and getting out gained by 346 to 202 in total yards. Yes a win is a win but don't get carried away. A team of App State's caliber would be a cellar dweller in any Power 5 league.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

We do have more SEC wins than Arkansas and more ACC wins than Syracuse. :D
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:We do have more SEC wins than Arkansas and more ACC wins than Syracuse. :D
Is the ACC really a P5 league in 2019?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm