All other college sports!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Mount Marty football

Post by JALMOND »

For the first time in 85 years, Mount Marty University in Yankton, SD will have a football team in 2021. They will compete in the NAIA's Great Plains Athletic Conference.

https://siouxlandnews.com/sports/conten ... all-season
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Mount Marty football

Post by SuperHornet »

Nice.

As far as I'm concerned, NO school should be without football. Of course, in this Title IX environment, about the only way to pull that off would be to simultaneously field a women's football team. More and more women are becoming interested in the sport every day, but enough to support every school having a full team? It's still going to be a LONG time before THAT happens, even following the template established by women's water polo and women's wrestling (a few "pioneering" athletes play with the men until enough are interested to form a separate team). I, for one, as weird as that might sound to some, think that that would be the best way to address Title IX balancing; dropping men's "minor sports" to achieve scholarship balance is completely stupid to me when a separate women's football team would do it in one fell swoop....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 am Nice.

As far as I'm concerned, NO school should be without football. Of course, in this Title IX environment, about the only way to pull that off would be to simultaneously field a women's football team. More and more women are becoming interested in the sport every day, but enough to support every school having a full team? It's still going to be a LONG time before THAT happens, even following the template established by women's water polo and women's wrestling (a few "pioneering" athletes play with the men until enough are interested to form a separate team). I, for one, as weird as that might sound to some, think that that would be the best way to address Title IX balancing; dropping men's "minor sports" to achieve scholarship balance is completely stupid to me when a separate women's football team would do it in one fell swoop....
Adding 5 million dollars plus to a schools budget for a women's football program that 70 people will go in the name of Title IX is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 am
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 am Nice.

Adding 5 million dollars plus to a schools budget for a women's football program that 70 people will go in the name of Title IX is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.
You're freaking out about nothing, clenz. At most schools, the infrastructure is already there, so there are no additional costs, as there might be if one is contemplating a program like beach volleyball, which obviously can't be held inside the arena. You've got scholarship costs and coaching costs. That's it. You don't need much in the way of advertising, because the schedules can be tied to the men's schedules as double-headers. A fan could go early and spend all day watching football. That's not a bad day in my book. As far as schollies and salary goes, you're going to have salary regardless of which sports are there, and you can put a cap on it because you don't really need to have a huge coach making $5M/yr. Schollies are the same whether the student athletes are playing football or tiddly winks, so that's a moot point. You're just getting all fussed because you're a sexist, clenz. Stop it. Please!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am
clenz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 am

You're freaking out about nothing, clenz. At most schools, the infrastructure is already there, so there are no additional costs, as there might be if one is contemplating a program like beach volleyball, which obviously can't be held inside the arena. You've got scholarship costs and coaching costs. That's it. You don't need much in the way of advertising, because the schedules can be tied to the men's schedules as double-headers. A fan could go early and spend all day watching football. That's not a bad day in my book. As far as schollies and salary goes, you're going to have salary regardless of which sports are there, and you can put a cap on it because you don't really need to have a huge coach making $5M/yr. Schollies are the same whether the student athletes are playing football or tiddly winks, so that's a moot point. You're just getting all fussed because you're a sexist, clenz. Stop it. Please!
Look at literally any football budget - you're adding coaches and 85 scholarships to an athletic department. You're adding equipment cost, added training staff costs, added facility costs, added facility staff cost.

You aren't adding that with any other spot. This isn't being sexist you retarded fucking cunt.

Look at any football budget across D1 and you'll see the bare minimum costs to run a football program is MILLIONS. To add that to a D1 athletic department to "balance it" doesn't balance the department. It saddles it with a program that is going to lose multiple millions of dollars per year. Scholarships alone are going to run 2 million per year (average 25K per student-athlete) at a public school. Now imagine the costs for an athletic department at a private school where tuition is two to three times that of a public school. You then have salaries for 10 coaches. Call that another half million per year. Equipment, because Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. isn't giving these programs equipment for free. They don't even do that to 90% of men's programs. The average cost to outfit a football player is about $1,500 for basic equipment if you have just one set of equipment for each player. You'll need extras just because so scholarships, plus walk ons, plus extras you are looking at 200k per season.

What are we at? Roughly 2.7 million dollars? We haven't even got to facility costs, because these programs sure as fuck aren't stepping into Bryant Denny, Death Valley, or even WaGriz, Dana J Dykhouse (even though the name would be entertaining), the FargoDome, etc. So you then need to rent a smaller facility somewhere else is town. That will run a couple grand per game, plus staff for it. Don't tell me "They'll get to use it". The won't. All it takes is looking at the number of volleyball, womens basketball, etc. programs that play in smaller venues because the cost to open up the largest venues on campus for a game that will draw a few dozen fans isn't worth it.

Oh, and where are these players going to be recruited from? You're going to have D1 universities dumping 2-3 million dollars into 100 student athletes to play a sport that doesn't exist at the high school level and has less than a hundred people in the country that played at the high school level?

Fucking please.