Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

2024 SCOTUS Rulings Thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Don’t have a 2024 thread. Not a ruling, but Justice Diversity Hire strikes again.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2024 SCOTUS Rulings Thread

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:45 pm Don’t have a 2024 thread. Not a ruling, but Justice Diversity Hire strikes again.
they should give the bump stocks away free at Modern Country concerts, in a month 50% of the semi-auto rifles in the nation would have cooked barrels.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:36 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:45 pm Don’t have a 2024 thread. Not a ruling, but Justice Diversity Hire strikes again.
they should give the bump stocks away free at Modern Country concerts, in a month 50% of the semi-auto rifles in the nation would have cooked barrels.
Lol no they wouldn’t. Not too many dumbasses that would blow through enough rounds in a brief enough period to cook the barrels.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:45 pm
houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:36 am

Lol no they wouldn’t. Not too many dumbasses that would blow through enough rounds in a brief enough period to cook the barrels.
wrong.

Plenty of dumbasses and the barrels are lighter in the civilian models. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Even the Supreme Court’s Conservatives Are Fed Up With the Garbage Coming Out of the 5th Circuit
Doughty, it turns out, grievously butchered the record to reach his conclusion. An exhaustive analysis by Mike Masnick proves that Doughty consistently misrepresented testimony and other evidence in the record to construct a conspiracy theory with zero basis in reality. He distorted emails and other exchanges to make them look coercive when they were nothing of the sort, cherry-picking and rearranging quotations to put them in a censorious light. Yet the hard-right U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, where law goes to die, affirmed Doughty’s conclusions and upheld much of his injunction (while narrowing it in part). That move sent the administration racing to the Supreme Court for an emergency stay, which it granted in October, over the dissents of Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Clarence Thomas. Monday’s arguments confirmed that a majority is prepared to side with Biden on the merits.

The justices did not sound happy to have the case before them. Justice Sonia Sotomayor scolded Louisiana Solicitor General Benjamin Aguiñaga (a former Alito clerk) for his lack of candor. “I have such a problem with your brief,” she told him. “You omit information that changes the context of some of your claims. You attribute things to people who it didn’t happen to.” Aguiñaga was unable to defend Doughty’s more extreme deceptions. So he had to fall back on what Justice Elena Kagan called an “extremely expansive” argument: the notion that “encouraging people to suppress their own speech” violates the First Amendment, even if it isn’t coercive. Kagan drew upon her past work in the executive branch to explain that, actually, government officials do this all the time. “I’ve had some experience encouraging press to suppress their own speech,” Kagan told Aguiñaga. Example: “You just wrote a bad editorial. Here are the five reasons you shouldn’t write another one.” Is that really unconstitutional?
Are clowns like Doughty the reason that people think we can't trust any judge who doesn't think like they do?

How would Doughty and others react if trump were reelected in 2024 and liberals turned the tables, using his rulings to keep the trump administration from trying to influence FaceBook and other social media providers?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 pm Even the Supreme Court’s Conservatives Are Fed Up With the Garbage Coming Out of the 5th Circuit
Doughty, it turns out, grievously butchered the record to reach his conclusion. An exhaustive analysis by Mike Masnick proves that Doughty consistently misrepresented testimony and other evidence in the record to construct a conspiracy theory with zero basis in reality. He distorted emails and other exchanges to make them look coercive when they were nothing of the sort, cherry-picking and rearranging quotations to put them in a censorious light. Yet the hard-right U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, where law goes to die, affirmed Doughty’s conclusions and upheld much of his injunction (while narrowing it in part). That move sent the administration racing to the Supreme Court for an emergency stay, which it granted in October, over the dissents of Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Clarence Thomas. Monday’s arguments confirmed that a majority is prepared to side with Biden on the merits.

The justices did not sound happy to have the case before them. Justice Sonia Sotomayor scolded Louisiana Solicitor General Benjamin Aguiñaga (a former Alito clerk) for his lack of candor. “I have such a problem with your brief,” she told him. “You omit information that changes the context of some of your claims. You attribute things to people who it didn’t happen to.” Aguiñaga was unable to defend Doughty’s more extreme deceptions. So he had to fall back on what Justice Elena Kagan called an “extremely expansive” argument: the notion that “encouraging people to suppress their own speech” violates the First Amendment, even if it isn’t coercive. Kagan drew upon her past work in the executive branch to explain that, actually, government officials do this all the time. “I’ve had some experience encouraging press to suppress their own speech,” Kagan told Aguiñaga. Example: “You just wrote a bad editorial. Here are the five reasons you shouldn’t write another one.” Is that really unconstitutional?
Are clowns like Doughty the reason that people think we can't trust any judge who doesn't think like they do?

How would Doughty and others react if trump were reelected in 2024 and liberals turned the tables, using his rulings to keep the trump administration from trying to influence FaceBook and other social media providers?
Not SCOTUS but....Aileen Cannon - is she deliberately trying to get herself removed from the case or is she a true believer? :?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I’ve learned over the years not get all bent about oral arguments and questions asked by judges. It’s the legal version of campaign horserace.

But hot damn there are some dumb, wildly hypocritical right wing partisan hack judges on the SCOTUS.

:mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Just have BATF expand the FFL category to include high-capacity semi-autos, a simple solution thay infringes on nobody :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 am
Just have BATF expand the FFL category to include high-capacity semi-autos, a simple solution thay infringes on nobody :thumb:
And no matter how many times you repeat it, you’re still wrong.

A simpler solition. Disband the ATF. If you don’t like high capacity semi autos, don’t buy one. If you do like them, buy lots. After all, its a free country :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 am

A simpler solition. Disband the ATF. If you don’t like high capacity semi autos, don’t buy one. If you do like them, buy lots. After all, its a free country :nod:

False dichotomy, bro. :ohno:

I'm a big fan of them personally - the problem is being downrange from one when downrange means a classroom/schoolyard or a country music show.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:38 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 am

False dichotomy, bro. :ohno:

I'm a big fan of them personally - the problem is being downrange from one when downrange means a classroom/schoolyard or a country music show.
And if current gun and mental health laws were enforced, most of those shootings wouldn’t have happend.