Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Climate Change Defamation

Post by kalm »

As pointed out before, the climategate fiasco controversy was an orchestrated hit and not based in science. The Hockey Stick graph wasn’t the issue.
The high-profile climate scientist Michael Mann has been awarded $1m by a jury in a defamation lawsuit against two conservative writers who compared his depictions of global heating to the work of a convicted child molester.

World ‘not prepared’ for climate disasters after warmest ever January
Read more
The case stretches back 12 years. In a statement posted on Mann’s X account, one of his lawyers said: “Today’s verdict vindicates Mike Mann’s good name and reputation. It also is a big victory for truth and scientists everywhere who dedicate their lives answering vital scientific questions impacting human health and the planet.”

Mann rose to fame for a graph first published in 1998 in the journal Nature that was dubbed the “hockey stick” for its dramatic illustration of a warming planet. It showed average temperatures in the northern hemisphere changing little for 900 years, until they started to rise rapidly in the 20th century.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-lawsuit
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: Climate Change Defamation

Post by Caribbean Hen »

How is your favorite war in the Ukraine helping climate change ?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:56 pm How is your favorite war in the Ukraine helping climate change ?
It’s not which is why Russia should pack up and go home.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:02 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:56 pm How is your favorite war in the Ukraine helping climate change ?
No questions asked
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:03 pm

No questions asked
?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

No questions asked
Why shouldn't russia pack up and go home?

There, a question was asked. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm

No questions asked

Because boJoJo hasn’t even talked to Putin since February 2022. Maybe he should try to negotiate something

Isn’t the strategy to keep pumping money over their to eventually weaken Russia? Guess what, it’s not working
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:31 pm As pointed out before, the climategate fiasco controversy was an orchestrated hit and not based in science. The Hockey Stick graph wasn’t the issue.
The high-profile climate scientist Michael Mann has been awarded $1m by a jury in a defamation lawsuit against two conservative writers who compared his depictions of global heating to the work of a convicted child molester.

World ‘not prepared’ for climate disasters after warmest ever January
Read more
The case stretches back 12 years. In a statement posted on Mann’s X account, one of his lawyers said: “Today’s verdict vindicates Mike Mann’s good name and reputation. It also is a big victory for truth and scientists everywhere who dedicate their lives answering vital scientific questions impacting human health and the planet.”

Mann rose to fame for a graph first published in 1998 in the journal Nature that was dubbed the “hockey stick” for its dramatic illustration of a warming planet. It showed average temperatures in the northern hemisphere changing little for 900 years, until they started to rise rapidly in the 20th century.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-lawsuit
Can you expand a little on Climate Gate? My memory of it was mostly the collaboration to prevent the release of their data for analysis.

In what seems to be more the norm, they were not allowing their work to be questioned by withholding their data.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:07 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:30 pm

Because boJoJo hasn’t even talked to Putin since February 2022. Maybe he should try to negotiate something

Isn’t the strategy to keep pumping money over their to eventually weaken Russia? Guess what, it’s not working
Maybe he would if it were his country being invaded.....especially if we had to count on the likes of you for fighting...:roll:

Are actively attempting to increase your coefficient of stupid or something...? :?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:07 pm

Maybe he would if it were his country being invaded.....especially if we had to count on the likes of you for fighting...:roll:

Are actively attempting to increase your coefficient of stupid or something...? :?
He’s treating like his country and Ukraine will potentially be the biggest cash drain on the US long past your time here on the planet ….
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I'm wondering what caused the first four Ice Ages. And the "Little Ice Age" from about 1300[ to about 1850. I'm thinking that man had a pretty small effect on those.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:49 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 am

He’s treating like his country and Ukraine will potentially be the biggest cash drain on the US long past your time here on the planet ….
Will it?

https://cepr.net/putting-ukraine-spending-in-context/
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I guess you posted that because you don’t think it’s a strain on the budget, but you don’t think about the culmination of all the reckless spending that we don’t have the money for ….. 34 trillion in debt with no end in sight because we’re a spoiled and entitled lot
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 am I guess you posted that because you don’t think it’s a strain on the budget, but you don’t think about the culmination of all the reckless spending that we don’t have the money for ….. 34 trillion in debt with no end in sight because we’re a spoiled and entitled lot
Your statement of it being the biggest cash drain on the U.S. is simply false.

What’s reckless is highly subjective.

Do better.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:52 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 am I guess you posted that because you don’t think it’s a strain on the budget, but you don’t think about the culmination of all the reckless spending that we don’t have the money for ….. 34 trillion in debt with no end in sight because we’re a spoiled and entitled lot

Do better.
How many years will the US be supporting The Ukraine financially ?

It might be forever…. and you know people don’t write a thesis in every post…. Biggest cash drain for our newest overseas territory sound better? SNAP benefits?

Ultimately, Russia will get what Putin wants in the Ukraine
unless we think it’s worth fighting for by a much more serious, dirty and bloody approach

My option would be to negotiate to end it, their is no winning over there, only trade offs

If Putin continues his aggression after an agreement, that’s when it’s time to take the gloves off
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 am

Do better.

It might be forever…. and you know people don’t write a thesis in every post…. Biggest cash drain for our newest overseas territory sound better? SNAP benefits?

unless we think it’s worth fighting for by a much more serious, dirty and bloody approach

My option would be to negotiate to end it, their is no winning over there, only trade offs

If Putin continues his aggression after an agreement, that’s when it’s time to take the gloves off

What else would we send to the Breadbasket of Europe? :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:45 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 am

So will the price of a bag of Doritos stay pegged at 7 bucks?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Do better.
:rofl: Coming from the guy who continually uses highly subjective COVID totals to try and bolster his argument instead of percentages as has always been done is hilarious. Nice flip flop on your concern about accurate metrics.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 pm

Do better.
:rofl: Coming from the guy who continually uses highly subjective COVID totals to try and bolster his argument instead of percentages as has always been done is hilarious. Nice flip flop on your concern about accurate metrics.
Huh? UKR spending in the graphs is a percentage of total budget. IIRC there’s similar numbers as a percentage of GDP.

Keep trying, Champ. Or build your own economic and covid models. :thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:45 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 pm

Huh? UKR spending in the graphs is a percentage of total budget. IIRC there’s similar numbers as a percentage of GDP.

When COVID death is reported as percentage of total population, it shows it wasn't too far from norms, but you only use total deaths, which is highly inflated, to try and bolster your argument.

I'm pointing out how you now care for the metric when it suits your need. Now you say percentages matter. Those are still dollars regardless of percentage totals. To argue they are inconsequential is a fallacy.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:58 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:45 am

So will the price of a bag of Doritos stay pegged at 7 bucks?
...don't use them, wouldn't know.. :?

Guess what? Prices don't go down.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:51 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:45 pm

When COVID death is reported as percentage of total population, it shows it wasn't too far from norms, but you only use total deaths, which is highly inflated, to try and bolster your argument.

I'm pointing out how you now care for the metric when it suits your need. Now you say percentages matter. Those are still dollars regardless of percentage totals. To argue they are inconsequential is a fallacy.
Huh?

I’ve used both. Per capita is good when comparing countries or states. Total deaths means a lot of fucking people died. Whether you believe the numbers are inflated or not.

$64 billion seems like a huge chunk of change until you compare it to other things we choose to spend money or when comparing it as a percentage of GDP.

These aren’t tough things to follow.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:51 pm

Huh?

I’ve used both. Per capita is good when comparing countries or states. Total deaths means a lot of fucking people died. Whether you believe the numbers are inflated or not.

$64 billion seems like a huge chunk of change until you compare it to other things we choose to spend money or when comparing it as a percentage of GDP.

Your COVID death numbers seem like a huge chunk until you compare it as a percentage of the total population.
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:25 am
kalm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 pm

Huh?

Your COVID death numbers seem like a huge chunk until you compare it as a percentage of the total population.
Still a bunch of people died….despite modern medicine and “lockdowns”. Human life used to be valued.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:31 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:25 am

Still a bunch of people died….despite modern medicine and “lockdowns”. Human life used to be valued.
You chose to follow one metric (deaths) and not the other (%) in regards to COVID.

Pick the other metric (%) and one sees COVID was only slightly worse than a bad cold and flu season with age being the biggest factor in deaths, so the vast majority were not at risk.

Lockdowns don't work for a respiratory pandemic. That's been documented for years. Maybe if the people you supported had applied focused protection to the elderly instead of bringing COVID into their nursing homes, we'd have seen that level of care you want to see. This was all over a metric and you were a medical fascist.