David Brooks: What if We're the Bad Guys, here?

Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opin ... cated.html
In this story, we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day, he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments and that’s what matters to them most.
I partly agree with this story, but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.
So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys.
This story begins in the 1960s, when high school grads had to go off to fight in Vietnam but the children of the educated class got college deferments. It continues in the 1970s, when the authorities imposed busing on working-class areas in Boston but not on the upscale communities like Wellesley where they themselves lived.
The ideal that we’re all in this together was replaced with the reality that the educated class lives in a world up here and everybody else is forced into a world down there. Members of our class are always publicly speaking out for the marginalized, but somehow we always end up building systems that serve ourselves.
The most important of those systems is the modern meritocracy. We built an entire social order that sorts and excludes people on the basis of the quality that we possess most: academic achievement. Highly educated parents go to elite schools, marry each other, work at high-paying professional jobs and pour enormous resources into our children, who get into the same elite schools, marry each other and pass their exclusive class privileges down from generation to generation.
Daniel Markovits summarized years of research in his book “The Meritocracy Trap”: “Today, middle-class children lose out to the rich children at school, and middle-class adults lose out to elite graduates at work. Meritocracy blocks the middle class from opportunity. Then it blames those who lose a competition for income and status that, even when everyone plays by the rules, only the rich can win.”
Wanted to point out here that literally everything that liberals think attracts Trump voters to Trump they can get from Ron DeSantis and yet Trump still seems to be coasting to the presidential nomination. Trump is and always was a burn-it-all-down candidate no matter how many dumb Donk strategists just think it's "racism" and "xenophobia".
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: David Brooks: What if We're the Bad Guys, here?

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Also a personality cult that DeSantis doesn't have (outside of Florida)
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:04 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opin ... cated.html
In this story, we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day, he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments and that’s what matters to them most.
I partly agree with this story, but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.
So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys.
This story begins in the 1960s, when high school grads had to go off to fight in Vietnam but the children of the educated class got college deferments. It continues in the 1970s, when the authorities imposed busing on working-class areas in Boston but not on the upscale communities like Wellesley where they themselves lived.
The ideal that we’re all in this together was replaced with the reality that the educated class lives in a world up here and everybody else is forced into a world down there. Members of our class are always publicly speaking out for the marginalized, but somehow we always end up building systems that serve ourselves.
The most important of those systems is the modern meritocracy. We built an entire social order that sorts and excludes people on the basis of the quality that we possess most: academic achievement. Highly educated parents go to elite schools, marry each other, work at high-paying professional jobs and pour enormous resources into our children, who get into the same elite schools, marry each other and pass their exclusive class privileges down from generation to generation.
Daniel Markovits summarized years of research in his book “The Meritocracy Trap”: “Today, middle-class children lose out to the rich children at school, and middle-class adults lose out to elite graduates at work. Meritocracy blocks the middle class from opportunity. Then it blames those who lose a competition for income and status that, even when everyone plays by the rules, only the rich can win.”
Wanted to point out here that literally everything that liberals think attracts Trump voters to Trump they can get from Ron DeSantis and yet Trump still seems to be coasting to the presidential nomination. Trump is and always was a burn-it-all-down candidate no matter how many dumb Donk strategists just think it's "racism" and "xenophobia".
DeSantis exudes phoniness. Trump's racism and xenophobia, unfortunately, is straight from the heart like a cannonball
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:04 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opin ... cated.html
David Brooks discovers a conscious and realizes the ascension of neoliberalism only serves a select few.

Trump is all of the above. Burn it down, racist, xenophobic, narcissistic, born on 3rd base. His followers are the ultimate sheep.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:53 am

David Brooks discovers a conscious and realizes the ascension of neoliberalism only serves a select few.

Trump is all of the above. Burn it down, racist, xenophobic, narcissistic, born on 3rd base. His followers are the ultimate sheep.
I guess the wilful suspension of disbelief is easier than the ten seconds of thought it takes to see through him.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ah yes, the power of influential family. I remember hearing a conversation years ago when I was working at the Arizona Biltmore Resort.

A regular in the fitness center was telling another how he gotten his son a job with Ernest and Julio Gallo. He was dismayed that his son was only offered $75k and then said he told his son not to take the job. "How is he supposed to get by on only $75k per year?"

All this while I'm rolling towels in the fitness center making $6 per hour.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:53 am

So what’s that make Biden then? A Super racist?

So Trump is a narcissist just like Obama..(The chance that someone who writes 2 autobiographies before age 50 being a narcissist is 100%)..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:02 am Ah yes, the power of influential family. I remember hearing a conversation years ago when I was working at the Arizona Biltmore Resort.

A regular in the fitness center was telling another how he gotten his son a job with Ernest and Julio Gallo. He was dismayed that his son was only offered $75k and then said he told his son not to take the job. "How is he supposed to get by on only $75k per year?"

And if this was mid 1990s, that would be more like 150k today..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:12 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:02 am Ah yes, the power of influential family. I remember hearing a conversation years ago when I was working at the Arizona Biltmore Resort.

And if this was mid 1990s, that would be more like 150k today..
Bingo! This was my very first job after leaving Montana after college.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:

*conscience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote: David Brooks discovers a conscious and realizes the ascension of neoliberalism only serves a select few.

*conscience

And Marx’s followers are the ultimate sheep.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:22 pm
CID1990 wrote: *conscience

Burn!
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: *conscience

Fuck yeah! Tell em!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:08 pm

Fuck yeah! Tell em!
The funny thing is that Marxism is similar to Ayn Rand’s libertarianism. Great on paper while ignoring human corruption and greed.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:41 pm
houndawg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:08 pm

Fuck yeah! Tell em!
The funny thing is that Marxism is similar to Ayn Rand’s libertarianism. Great on paper while ignoring human corruption and greed.
I was just thinking of her a couple days ago - I'm having a hard time retrieving a couple of vehicles from where they went to be serviced/repaired. My electric buggy (4wd/64Volt) went to the shop for a microswitch 2 months ago, still there; another local dealer has had my mowing machine for a month since the deck belt broke, still there....entropy is picking up speed on multiple fronts.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 am
kalm wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:41 pm

I was just thinking of her a couple days ago - I'm having a hard time retrieving a couple of vehicles from where they went to be serviced/repaired. My electric buggy (4wd/64Volt) went to the shop for a microswitch 2 months ago, still there; another local dealer has had my mowing machine for a month since the deck belt broke, still there....entropy is picking up speed on multiple fronts.
:clap:

Is this what is meant by capitalism needing to be saved from itself?

:mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:22 am
houndawg wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 am

Back in the day capitalists understood that the crumbs they left on the table supported a thriving middle class whose ambition was to be just like them.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:22 am

Back in the day capitalists understood that the crumbs they left on the table supported a thriving middle class whose ambition was to be just like them.
Back in the day big government types understood that the revenue generated by capitalists was what ultimately funded the government now they think the government is the engine and that they can just print money like some Weimar Republic.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:56 am
houndawg wrote:
Back in the day big government types understood that the revenue generated by capitalists was what ultimately funded the government now they think the government is the engine and that they can just print money like some Weimar Republic.

How far back?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:56 am Back in the day big government types understood that the revenue generated by capitalists was what ultimately funded the government now they think the government is the engine and that they can just print money like some Weimar Republic.

How far back?
Pre Bernie, Warren, AOChe and the other social terrorists.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:48 am
kalm wrote:
How far back?

:lol:

What were the tax rates?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:48 am

What were the tax rates?

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
kalm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 am :lol:

What were the tax rates?

You two are making a solid run at replacing SG and SDH as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne. Keep up the good work. In your current path you’ll be there soon.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:43 am
houndawg wrote:

You two are making a solid run at replacing SG and SDH as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne. Keep up the good work. In your current path you’ll be there soon.

Translation: Back in the day corporations paid their fair share.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:43 am
houndawg wrote:

We’ll never replace you and Ganny!