Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Debt Ceiling Bill

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:48 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:11 pm
'Austerity'. :lol: This govt hasn't practiced austerity in our lifetimes, and certainly won't be for the next 2 years, or for any time period after that, until it is forced upon them..

The only thing that increases the debt is government spending... :coffee:
:dunce:

Au contraire mon frère, cutting taxes can also lead to an increase in the debt. Not all tax cuts stimulate the economy enough to pay for themselves.

Did the 2017 tax cut—the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act—pay for itself?
Why is the slope of the red dotted line so strong? I'm confused by how it's so steep. If you were to flip the blue line where the red line starts, it's not even that steep. Are they saying the tax cuts destroyed tax revenue producing jobs in addition to lowering revenues?

Late edit: Were other tax cuts supposed to expire at that divergence point because that slope is definitely decreasing and the BAM!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:36 pm

Don’t get me started on the ridiculousness of American lawns. Especially in semi-arid climates. :ohno:
That gets filed under personal greed, to go along with corporate (which is really collective personal greed) greed and governmental (again, collective personal) greed.

Unless, of course, you think the lawn industry (Big Lawn) has been unfairly subsidized all these years compared to other industries. :rofl:
Yep! $100 billion industry. Ever heard of Tru-green? Monsanto?

Harmful chemicals and a colossal waste of water. Truly tragic!

Replace those nasty lawns with hardscaping or edible landscapes and build more public parts.

Big lawn care is real!
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:11 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:03 am

No one is saying that Big Oil hasn't been helped by government spending - the point is that EVERYONE has been helped by government spending. Again, point to the subsidies that go exclusively to Big Oil and aren't available for everyone else.

The problem with your 30,000 foot view is that the oxygen is pretty thin up there and you end up not thinking clearly. Get off your high horse, come down closer to ground level and breathe a little bit - it should help wake up your brain. :thumb:
:lol:

kalmy also likes to blame all of our woes on corporations and either ignores or doesn't understand that people's wants and desires contribute to the situation.

Historically people have wanted houses with yards and the geography of America has allowed it. Europeans don't have the space so they learned to live with higher density and more public transportation. You can't compare the two and blame American sprawl only on Big Oil.

Corporate greed is as endless as government greed and I know which one is more likely to produce products and innovations that improve my life.
Of which the largest fraction is due to endless corporate greed. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:16 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:11 am

:lol:

kalmy also likes to blame all of our woes on corporations and either ignores or doesn't understand that people's wants and desires contribute to the situation.

Historically people have wanted houses with yards and the geography of America has allowed it. Europeans don't have the space so they learned to live with higher density and more public transportation. You can't compare the two and blame American sprawl only on Big Oil.

Corporate greed is as endless as government greed and I know which one is more likely to produce products and innovations that improve my life.
Of which the largest fraction is due to endless government ambition. :coffee:
FYP
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm