Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Trump vs. Biden Part 2

Post by Pwns »

Moving towards another election with two really unpopular candidates.

How do we fix this ****?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Trump vs. Biden Part 2

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:55 pm Moving towards another election with two really unpopular candidates.

How do we fix this ****?
We don't, we vote for the lesser of evils as has become the custom.

Barring death or serious medical issues the outcome will be the same or bigger. The conks fucked up big time with the abortion issue - incels that they are they just can't seem to grasp that because someone is opposed to abortion doesn't mean that they want their right to have one if necessary be taken away. Sammy "the Weasel" Alito and the evangelical wackadoodles have already cost them the '24 election. They are dead to the soccer moms.

As it was said, so shall it be :notworthy:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I’ll still be surprised if at least one hasn’t dropped out of the race. Just purely from a playing the odds standpoint. I will also give a 40% chance to a significant third party candidate affecting the outcome.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:24 am I’ll still be surprised if at least one hasn’t dropped out of the race. Just purely from a playing the odds standpoint. I will also give a 40% chance to a significant third party candidate affecting the outcome.
For Biden it will be a matter of health, for Trump it will come down to would he rather be a quitter or a loser. I'd say 1 in 3 chance he quits, which leaves the conks still up Shit Creek as DeSantis looks less like Presidential material each day. Biden having a health issue and having to withdraw would really be a mess if it happened before Trump quit.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

i think we are in a serious situation. I think that, with respect to how far we are from the next election, Trump is in better position this time than he was at the same point in 2019 looking at the 2020 election. The Real Clear Politics (RCP) average of polling hadn't started yet at this point last time, which was May 4, 2019. But the first RCP average of polls for that race, reported September 1, 2019, has Biden up by 9.5 percentage points.

Right now, the RCP average for the 2024 race has Trump up by 0.4 percentage points.

That is a sad commentary on the quality of the United States population. We have an obviously corrupt, obviously dishonest individual... who is also obviously emotionally immature and unstable...being supported by an estimated 43.9 percent of the population. We have a serious rot. A lot of horribly ignorant and/or hateful people.

But it is what it is. If the election were being held tomorrow and I had to bet I'd bet Trump would win. I'd hope to lose my bet. But that's what I'd bet.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

With snipers….
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:20 pm i think we are in a serious situation. I think that, with respect to how far we are from the next election, Trump is in better position this time than he was at the same point in 2019 looking at the 2020 election. The Real Clear Politics (RCP) average of polling hadn't started yet at this point last time, which was May 4, 2019. But the first RCP average of polls for that race, reported September 1, 2019, has Biden up by 9.5 percentage points.

Right now, the RCP average for the 2024 race has Trump up by 0.4 percentage points.

That is a sad commentary on the quality of the United States population. We have an obviously corrupt, obviously dishonest individual... who is also obviously emotionally immature and unstable...being supported by an estimated 43.9 percent of the population. We have a serious rot. A lot of horribly ignorant and/or hateful people.

But it is what it is. If the election were being held tomorrow and I had to bet I'd bet Trump would win. I'd hope to lose my bet. But that's what I'd bet.
A year and a half is a geological epoch in politics. I'm reminded how pollsters, and SG, assured us that abortion wouldn't be an issue, even after Dobbs. They weren't asking the right questions; being opposed to abortion wasn't the question, the question should have related "do you want to lose the option of abortion" and enough Republicans get them that the answer was obvious to most everybody except for the incels.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:20 pm i think we are in a serious situation. I think that, with respect to how far we are from the next election, Trump is in better position this time than he was at the same point in 2019 looking at the 2020 election. The Real Clear Politics (RCP) average of polling hadn't started yet at this point last time, which was May 4, 2019. But the first RCP average of polls for that race, reported September 1, 2019, has Biden up by 9.5 percentage points.

That would be the smart money right now but going forward there will be the confounding factor of whether or not Trump is a convicted felon.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:05 am

That would be the smart money right now but going forward there will be the confounding factor of whether or not Trump is a convicted felon.
I've never voted for Trump before, but do you really think there's a sizeable enough group of voters out there that would vote for Trump today, but would change their vote completely depending on the outcome of one of many court cases against him? Heck, there's an argument to be said that he's likely to get more people to vote for him if he is convicted in any of these court cases. If you're already able to select Trump on your ballot in the voting booth given all that he's done over the past several years, the technicality of a court result won't do a whole lot to sway your opinion.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 am
houndawg wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:05 am

I've never voted for Trump before, but do you really think there's a sizeable enough group of voters out there that would vote for Trump today, but would change their vote completely depending on the outcome of one of many court cases against him? Heck, there's an argument to be said that he's likely to get more people to vote for him if he is convicted in any of these court cases. If you're already able to select Trump on your ballot in the voting booth given all that he's done over the past several years, the technicality of a court result won't do a whole lot to sway your opinion.
I think I agree with this, but wouldn’t that indicate the majority of the undecided/independent vote will break for the Dem?

And how vulnerable is Trump in the general? What can he do to move independents in his favor?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:06 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:21 am

I think I agree with this, but wouldn’t that indicate the majority of the undecided/independent vote will break for the Dem?

And how vulnerable is Trump in the general? What can he do to move independents in his favor?
This is politics of the last 10 years or so, if not longer. No one moves voters to their favor, rather, voters move who are repelled by the other side. IMO, voters tend to vote against the most objectionable candidate. They're not voting for someone they're voting against the other guy. The undecided/independents will break to whomever they dislike less - in this case Trump or Biden.

I don't know if Trump is really any more objectionable now compared to when he lost in 2020 - once you're that despised, it's hard to go lower. Biden, on the other hand, is a far more objectionable candidate now than he was in 2020, and a lot of that has to do with his age, which sadly is on display over and over again, as well as his record. And although people do try to minimize the campaigning from the basement phenomenon, that did play a part in 2020. Biden unleashed from the basement, four years older, is going to turn off people who voted for him last time. Biden can't really suffer voters who voted for him now either sitting it out or voting 3rd party (hard to see them move to Trump in any appreciable numbers). That could be where it's won or lost.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:34 am

This is politics of the last 10 years or so, if not longer. No one moves voters to their favor, rather, voters move who are repelled by the other side. IMO, voters tend to vote against the most objectionable candidate. They're not voting for someone they're voting against the other guy. The undecided/independents will break to whomever they dislike less - in this case Trump or Biden.

I don't know if Trump is really any more objectionable now compared to when he lost in 2020 - once you're that despised, it's hard to go lower. Biden, on the other hand, is a far more objectionable candidate now than he was in 2020, and a lot of that has to do with his age, which sadly is on display over and over again, as well as his record. And although people do try to minimize the campaigning from the basement phenomenon, that did play a part in 2020. Biden unleashed from the basement, four years older, is going to turn off people who voted for him last time. Biden can't really suffer voters who voted for him now either sitting it out or voting 3rd party (hard to see them move to Trump in any appreciable numbers). That could be where it's won or lost.
That is a nice summary of our current crappy situation. trump was less objectionable than Hillary in 2016. Biden was less objectionable than trump in 2020. Who knows who will be less objectionable in 2024.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:07 am

That is a nice summary of our current crappy situation. trump was less objectionable than Hillary in 2016. Biden was less objectionable than trump in 2020. Who knows who will be less objectionable in 2024.
We need a serious change agent. The time is now. V.S. all the way.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

I don't disagree with this - and if its Biden vs Trump 80% of all votes cast will be against one or the other. :coffee:

I'm not buying the "too old" schtik at full face value though. It didn't hurt Reagan (I promise not to make an issue of my opponent's youth and inexprience) and the people promulgating the schtik today won't have any problem voting for an opponent just as advanced in his own decrepitation, in spite of daily bondo and spray work that barely keeps him from looking like a giant queen termite full of eggs.

I often accuse Republicunts of prefering Putin over Biden but I can see where I would prefer Putin to Trump next year - we'd be cutting out an unnecessary middleman. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 pm

I don't disagree with this - and if its Biden vs Trump 80% of all votes cast will be against one or the other. :coffee:

I'm not buying the "too old" schtik at full face value though. It didn't hurt Reagan (I promise not to make an issue of my opponent's youth and inexprience) and the people promulgating the schtik today won't have any problem voting for an opponent just as advanced in his own decrepitation, in spite of daily bondo and spray work that barely keeps him from looking like a giant queen termite full of eggs.

I often accuse Republicunts of prefering Putin over Biden but I can see where I would prefer Putin to Trump next year - we'd be cutting out an unnecessary middleman. :coffee:
Reagan was 73 when he last took office. Biden would be 82 with dementia far more advanced.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 am

Reagan was 73 when he last took office. Biden would be 82 with dementia far more advanced.
Negative, Broseph - Reagan spent most of his second term tied to a chair drooling in his porridge while Nancy ran things. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 am

Reagan was only 73?

I don’t recall.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:33 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:07 am

We need a serious change agent. The time is now. V.S. all the way.

where's my pony?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:02 am

A year and a half is a geological epoch in politics. I'm reminded how pollsters, and SG, assured us that abortion wouldn't be an issue, even after Dobbs. They weren't asking the right questions; being opposed to abortion wasn't the question, the question should have related "do you want to lose the option of abortion" and enough Republicans get them that the answer was obvious to most everybody except for the incels.
i'd have to expend more effort than I want to right now to find posts I made about it but I did interpret polling back then to indicate abortion would be a big issue in the mid terms. it was not showing up as the TOP issue but it was up there. Now, I will say that polling understated it. We found that out when Kansas held its referendum. Polling showed it was close; which in itself was remarkable in a state as red as Kansas is. And, as we know, the "pro choice" side won by 18 percentage points.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

i'd have to expend more effort than I want to right now to find posts I made about it but I did interpret polling back then to indicate abortion would be a big issue in the mid terms. it was not showing up as the TOP issue but it was up there. Now, I will say that polling understated it. We found that out when Kansas held its referendum. Polling showed it was close; which in itself was remarkable in a state as red as Kansas is. And, as we know, the "pro choice" side won by 18 percentage points.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

The other day i saw a polling result indicating public opinion that Trump would be better on the economy than Biden. That is consistent with what I usually see. For some reason, people tend to think Republican President means better economy and more fiscal responsibility. I've always thought that makes no sense because, over my 1957 - present lifetime, that has not been my experience. So I decided to quantify it. I can provide links to the data i'm summarizing upon request.

I calculated average and median annual real GDP, Monthly unemployment rates, annual inflation rate, and annual deficit as a percent of GDP during the years of my life. I counted inauguration years as years under the party of the President inaugurated. 2021, for example, is a Democrat year as the Democrat was President during more than 11 of the 12 months. The results are below.

There is no way they suggest we have done better in terms of economics or fiscal responsibility when Republicans have been President during my lifetime. I am sure one could select different time frames and get somewhat different results. But I don't think one could be reasonable in selecting time frames and find results that support what tends to be the pubic perception in that regard. And I did not pick a time frame in an effort to make the point. I simply used my lifetime as the time frame because my perception, over my lifetime, has not been the we do better in those areas under Republicans. I got results consistent with my perception.

Could I ever be a star?

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I've said this before, but if we had a presidential candidate that was bonafide left economically and center-right culturally they could mop the floor with Joe Biden or Donald Trump. People here may not want someone like that but that's the reality. The $15 federal minimum wage would trigger a gag reflex from the Republicans in congress but it won by almost 20 points in Nebraska where many state-wide races don't even have Democratic challengers. Most GOP voters don't care about keeping Amazon's taxes as as much as they want a culture warrior.

Instead, the Democrats promote people like Gavin Newsome that runs a state with the highest rate of homelessness and poverty and has serious discussions about trying to give millions of people a high-six figure sum of money for things that no living person's grandparent's are old enough to remember. Meanwhile these same Democrats say people in small towns and rural areas just aren't reachable because they're a bunch of racist racists that care more about their medical bills than the number of female Fortune 500 CEOs.

Of course, no donors are going to back any such candidate so we're stuck voting for whoever we hate less.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:59 am I've said this before, but if we had a presidential candidate that was bonafide left economically and center-right culturally they could mop the floor with Joe Biden or Donald Trump. People here may not want someone like that but that's the reality. The $15 federal minimum wage would trigger a gag reflex from the Republicans in congress but it won by almost 20 points in Nebraska where many state-wide races don't even have Democratic challengers. Most GOP voters don't care about keeping Amazon's taxes as as much as they want a culture warrior.

Instead, the Democrats promote people like Gavin Newsome that runs a state with the highest rate of homelessness and poverty and has serious discussions about trying to give millions of people a high-six figure sum of money for things that no living person's grandparent's are old enough to remember. Meanwhile these same Democrats say people in small towns and rural areas just aren't reachable because they're a bunch of racist racists that care more about their medical bills than the number of female Fortune 500 CEOs.

Of course, no donors are going to back any such candidate so we're stuck voting for whoever we hate less.
This is a very solid analysis. ^ :nod:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Seems you've got me mixed up with someone else. The only thing I mentioned about abortion was dumbshit Lyndsey Graham trying to stirs up Dems to vote by saying, "we should ban abortions" right before the last election.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:43 am The other day i saw a polling result indicating public opinion that Trump would be better on the economy than Biden. That is consistent with what I usually see. For some reason, people tend to think Republican President means better economy and more fiscal responsibility. I've always thought that makes no sense because, over my 1957 - present lifetime, that has not been my experience. So I decided to quantify it. I can provide links to the data i'm summarizing upon request.

I calculated average and median annual real GDP, Monthly unemployment rates, annual inflation rate, and annual deficit as a percent of GDP during the years of my life. I counted inauguration years as years under the party of the President inaugurated. 2021, for example, is a Democrat year as the Democrat was President during more than 11 of the 12 months. The results are below.

There is no way they suggest we have done better in terms of economics or fiscal responsibility when Republicans have been President during my lifetime. I am sure one could select different time frames and get somewhat different results. But I don't think one could be reasonable in selecting time frames and find results that support what tends to be the pubic perception in that regard. And I did not pick a time frame in an effort to make the point. I simply used my lifetime as the time frame because my perception, over my lifetime, has not been the we do better in those areas under Republicans. I got results consistent with my perception.

They say that because Trump actually had a national economic plan. All other decisions were based on his national economic plan and thus, simply focused on making America more prosperous.

You'd be hard pressed to find any GOPe or Liberal candidates that will bother to talk about those plans because the BIG money doesn't want that. They want Globalism. Gotta be able to send our manufacturing base overseas where they don't have to deal with those pesky unions and pay good wages.

Not even looking at numbers, I'd have to say Dems and Reps are pretty close to the same.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz