Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

The Sexual Revolution…fail?

Post by kalm »

Interesting take and quite a bit to unpack here. Some of it is accurate although it’s also leaving other factors and benefits out while making some giant leaps in causation.

Timely…I guess and/or a subtle support piece of the culture war against reproductive rights and personal freedoms?
You may not like author Mary Eberstadt's conclusions about the effects of the sexual revolution.

You may even vehemently disagree with them.

But the data is solid.

As she herself says, "I'm using perfectly secular sources. There is no theology in this book. I'm looking at what the evidence tells us about the way we are living now and what it's doing to the wider world around us."

Eberstadt, a senior fellow at the Faith & Reason Institute in Washington, D.C., took a look at the long-term effects of the movement of the ‘60s and ’70s that was supposed to liberate society from its religiously uptight and outdated beliefs about marriage and romance.

It was heralded as a good thing.

But something happened that few predicted…….

"When you advance a counter-cultural theory like this, people often wag their fingers and say, 'Oh, you're saying that it all comes down to one thing.'"

"I am saying that this one thing, the sexual revolution, is the single least acknowledged causation of our social disarray."

But she says, "I am saying that this one thing, the sexual revolution, is the single least acknowledged causation of our social disarray."

The fierceness of these ills, she also says, caused the rise of what she describes as a "secular religion" that is challenging Christianity's moral foundations.

"Everybody believes something. And after the sexual revolution, what you see is this fierce desire on the part of many people to repudiate traditional moral teaching."
"Everybody believes something. And after the sexual revolution, what you see is this fierce desire on the part of many people to repudiate traditional moral teaching."

She asserts, "It's not true that the battle out there is between faith and no faith, between people who believe things and people who believe nothing. Everybody believes something. And after the sexual revolution, what you see is this fierce desire on the part of many people to repudiate traditional moral teaching."

Eberstadt continues, "The traditional family and Christianity have always had enemies … That's what Marxism had in its sights. It wanted to destroy the family. And other utopians have always wanted to destroy the family. But this revolution, I think, was different because no one really intended that."

She says that "when the birth control pill came into existence, many people embraced it because they thought it would be a good thing. The argument was made that it would strengthen families. The argument was made that it would reduce abortion."
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/sexua ... ook-author
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: The Sexual Revolution…fail?

Post by BDKJMU »

Double fail.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: The Sexual Revolution…fail?

Post by Pwns »

The irony here is that you have objectively the least sexual generation since the sexual revolution that generally spends more time with family than previous generations and this author is acting like there's a never-ending Summer of Love happening in the country.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.