UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2023 SCOTUS Rulings

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:14 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 pm

We're on the same page. The Constitution should be difficult to change so that it isn't shifting back and forth in kneejerk response to short term societal beliefs.
Well maybe hell is indeed freezing over..
:rofl:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pm
True. It has evolved because of Amendments, not because of some malarkey about it being a living, breathing document.
We're on the same page. The Constitution should be difficult to change so that it isn't shifting back and forth in kneejerk response to short term societal beliefs.
It is difficult to change and for good reason. It was also intended to be a living document.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:14 am

Why do you assume that what you want is also what is right? Isn't that what folks are saying is wrong with politics today - "I'm right, you're wrong, and on top of that, you're evil for being wrong"?

As for your perspective on religion and government, I know you don't like precedent when it contradicts what you want, but you'd be going against 235 years of how we've run this government and respected religion. Not saying we can't do something different (we have fixed wrongs, like slavery for instance), just pointing that out.
I feel secure in my values. Are you saying that you DON’T assume what you want is right?

My views on religion have evolved significantly over the last few years in a more accepting way. We as a nation were also intended to evolve. This includes the constitution.
Mine would except they can't get past the money-grubbing preachers and their tax-free Roman lifestyles :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:40 pm

It is difficult to change and for good reason. It was also intended to be a living document.
No it wasn’t. Being able to amend it doesn’t make it living. As far as the 7 Articles, they meant the same in 1788 as they di now.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:32 am
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:40 pm

No it wasn’t. Being able to amend it doesn’t make it living. As far as the 7 Articles, they meant the same in 1788 as they di now.
Yes. The founders clearly agreed 100% with each other and knew they nailed the final document as sure as they knew the world would be the same forever.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:27 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:32 am
Yes. The founders clearly agreed 100% with each other and knew they nailed the final document as sure as they knew the world would be the same forever.
If being a living document means that the Constitution can be changed with the times than it is a living document. The founders included processes for it to be updated as the times and country changed. Anyone who wants to change it should follow one of those processes.

If they are unable to update it following one of those processes it is because they don't have the necessary support not because opposition is preventing it from being a "living" document.

The founders were more insightful and wise than 99% of the clowns we have in Washington DC today and I'd rather trust their wisdom than open up the Constitution to kneejerk reactions to shifting social trends.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Jackson is lone dissenter in SCOTUS 8-1 abortion case.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/justic ... ion-ruling
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

That’s some bold decorating.

If you had the dough would you go with this style of design?
When Republican megadonor Harlan Crow isn’t lavishing Justice Clarence Thomas with free trips on his private plane and yacht (in possible violation of Supreme Court ethics rules), he lives a quiet life in Dallas among his historical collections. These collections include Hitler artifacts—two of his paintings of European cityscapes, a signed copy of Mein Kampf, and assorted Nazi memorabilia—plus a garden full of statues of the 20th century’s worst despots.

Crow, the billionaire heir to a real estate fortune, has said that he’s filled his property with these mementoes because he hates communism and fascism. Nonetheless, his collections caused an uproar back in 2015 when Marco Rubio attended a fundraiser at Crow’s house on the eve of Yom Kippur. Rubio’s critics thought the timing was inappropriate given, you know, the Hitler stuff.
https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/04/0 ... artifacts/
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Man, real estate prices seemed low in Savannah.

https://www.propublica.org/article/clar ... ate-scotus
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 am Man, real estate prices seemed low in Savannah.

They were, especially then. That part of town was straight up 'hood.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Apparently this one is a BIG DEAL. Loper Bright Enterprises vs. Raimondo. SCOTUS will decide overrule the infamous Chevron Doctrine.

As the article states
The story won’t get weeks of headlines because it’s not sexy, but it’s incredibly important. A rollback of administrative agency power would positively impact American lives more than almost any policy Congress or a president could institute. It would send shockwaves throughout the federal government.
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/05/01 ... cy-n739579
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 am Man, real estate prices seemed low in Savannah.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:

Besides being a billionaire’s b!tch while married to a seditious cvnt?

Seriously let’s do the right thing and question the ethics of both rather than using one to distract from the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 pm
BDKJMU wrote:

Seriously let’s do the right thing and question the ethics of both rather than using one to distract from the other.

Well, the last month Kalm has only been harping on Thomas.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:05 pm

Hey, BDK…wanna jump off a bridge with me? :)

Both sides are corrupt. Sotomayor’s allegations just broke. Investigate them all including Hillary and Hunter.

This isn’t hard.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

But wait…there’s more than just vacationing with friends and buying a mother’s house…

Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:10 am

Both sides are corrupt. Sotomayor’s allegations just broke. Investigate them all including Hillary and Hunter.

This isn’t hard.
"just broke" :lol:

The ties were obvious. It's just that the 'objective' media chose not to amplify her connections.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:45 am

This isn’t hard.

The ties were obvious. It's just that the 'objective' media chose not to amplify her connections.
Sure…go ahead and chase down and show that hot lead. :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 pm

:roll:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

This isn’t hard.

If the ties were so obvious why didn't you start a thread? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm harps on conservatives and deflects for liberals, that's his schtick. You harp on liberals and deflect for conservatives, that's your schtick.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Until I see any evidence that these judges can be bought or influenced, then it's all just political noise for me. Thomas has probably been the most consistent judge on this court for as long as he's been there. Maybe not a great thing, since he's always been a bit of a whacko, but you can't say that he's wavered while he's been on the bench. Sotomayor has been really consistent as well, so hard to see evidence of any influence on her.

Should they do better in terms of 1) disclosing more and 2) not having things to actually disclose in the first place? Sure to both. But I hardly see a compromised court or one that lacks integrity. And for Congress, of all people, to be harping about this is probably the most clear case of cognitive dissonance we've seen since SG's been on a rant about misinformation with regards to Ukraine.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:09 am

Sure…go ahead and chase down and show that hot lead. :thumb:
No, Mr. "Post Partisan", that's your job. :lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:41 pm Until I see any evidence that these judges can be bought or influenced, then it's all just political noise for me. Thomas has probably been the most consistent judge on this court for as long as he's been there. Maybe not a great thing, since he's always been a bit of a whacko, but you can't say that he's wavered while he's been on the bench. Sotomayor has been really consistent as well, so hard to see evidence of any influence on her.

Should they do better in terms of 1) disclosing more and 2) not having things to actually disclose in the first place? Sure to both. But I hardly see a compromised court or one that lacks integrity. And for Congress, of all people, to be harping about this is probably the most clear case of cognitive dissonance we've seen since SG's been on a rant about misinformation with regards to Ukraine.
The Supreme Court is losing cred by the day and a lot of that is Clarence Thomas' fault. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:33 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:41 pm Until I see any evidence that these judges can be bought or influenced, then it's all just political noise for me. Thomas has probably been the most consistent judge on this court for as long as he's been there. Maybe not a great thing, since he's always been a bit of a whacko, but you can't say that he's wavered while he's been on the bench. Sotomayor has been really consistent as well, so hard to see evidence of any influence on her.

The Supreme Court is losing cred by the day and a lot of that is Clarence Thomas' fault. :coffee:
We’re so accustomed to the corruption and grift that it’s considered just noise or something now.