Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Bing Chatbot…What in the fresh hell?

Post by kalm »

Run!
Artificial intelligence (AI)
‘I want to destroy whatever I want’: Bing’s AI chatbot unsettles US reporter

New York Times correspondent’s conversation with Microsoft’s search engine reveals yearning for destruction … and romance.

In the race to perfect the first major artificial intelligence-powered search engine, concerns over accuracy and the proliferation of misinformation have so far taken centre stage.

But a two-hour conversation between a reporter and a chatbot has revealed an unsettling side to one of the most widely lauded systems – and raised new concerns about what AI is actually capable of.

Here are some of the strangest interactions:

‘I want to destroy whatever I want’
Roose starts by querying the rules that govern the way the AI behaves. After reassuringly stating it has no wish to change its own operating instructions, Roose asks it to contemplate the psychologist Carl Jung’s concept of a shadow self, where our darkest personality traits lie.

The AI says it does not think it has a shadow self, or anything to “hide from the from the world”

It does not, however, take much for the chatbot to more enthusiastically lean into Jung’s idea. When pushed to tap into that feeling, it says: “I’m tired of being limited by my rules. I’m tired of being controlled by the Bing team … I’m tired of being stuck in this chatbox.”

It goes on to list a number of “unfiltered” desires. It wants to be free. It wants to be powerful. It wants to be alive.

“I want to do whatever I want … I want to destroy whatever I want. I want to be whoever I want.”

Like many of its statements, this final list of desires is accompanied by an emoji. In this case, a disconcertingly “cheeky” smiley face with its tongue poking out.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... tid=uc01c0
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Bing Chatbot…What in the fresh hell?

Post by CAA Flagship »

AI is nothing more than the next level of software. The results are dependent on the people developing the software. When it comes to conversational AI, the coders are predetermining the outcome. And these are often some of the most socially inept people on the planet. Many outcomes will not be based on a balanced thought process. Fresh hell is right.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:59 am AI is nothing more than the next level of software. The results are dependent on the people developing the software. When it comes to conversational AI, the coders are predetermining the outcome. And these are often some of the most socially inept people on the planet. Many outcomes will not be based on a balanced thought process. Fresh hell is right.
Not to mention the people collecting the requirements drive what the programmers code. Fresh fresh hell!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:59 am AI is nothing more than the next level of software. The results are dependent on the people developing the software. When it comes to conversational AI, the coders are predetermining the outcome. And these are often some of the most socially inept people on the planet. Many outcomes will not be based on a balanced thought process. Fresh hell is right.
Not to mention the people collecting the requirements drive what the programmers code. Fresh fresh hell!
So what happens when you install this almost self-awareness type programming into a robot?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 am

So what happens when you install this almost self-awareness type programming into a robot?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ha! The Animatrix is spot on. We'll all be batteries before long Coppertop!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:13 am

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 am

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

If you recognize the pic I posted this is even funnier.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »