Biden’s mishandling of classified documents.

Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Biden’s mishandling of classified documents.

Post by BDKJMU »

Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-cent ... =196611442
The classified materials included some top-secret files with the “sensitive compartmented information” designation, also known as SCI, which is used for highly sensitive information obtained from intelligence sources.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics ... index.html
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: Biden’s classified documents

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: Biden’s classified documents

Post by BDKJMU »

Pot meet kettle:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Biden’s mishandling of classified documents.

Post by Winterborn »

Just more evidence that they are all full of bullcrap.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

i figured someone would start a thread on this but this is obviously a completely different situation than the situation with the Trump thing. Most importantly, there is no evidence that Biden intentionally took the materials nor has Biden resisted returning the materials to the National Archives. Trump OBVIOUSLY took the materials intentionally and OBVIOUSLY resisted returning them. It's unfortunate because it gives Republicans an opportunity to try to deflect from what Trump did. But the two situations are nowhere close to equivalent.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:26 pm i figured someone would start a thread on this but this is obviously a completely different situation than the situation with the Trump thing. Most importantly, there is no evidence that Biden intentionally took the materials nor has Biden resisted returning the materials to the National Archives. Trump OBVIOUSLY took the materials intentionally and OBVIOUSLY resisted returning them. It's unfortunate because it gives Republicans an opportunity to try to deflect from what Trump did. But the two situations are nowhere close to equivalent.
Yes, they're different but they're both bad. Biden was negligent and his negligence put American interests and potentially lives at risk.

If CID, 93 or another government employee did something like what Biden did they would be fired and probably prosecuted.

Please, stop with the "yes our side did it but it wasn't as bad as what their side did" arguments. Let's hold people accountable for their wrong doing and negligence regardless of party or position.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:26 pm i figured someone would start a thread on this but this is obviously a completely different situation than the situation with the Trump thing. Most importantly, there is no evidence that Biden intentionally took the materials nor has Biden resisted returning the materials to the National Archives. Trump OBVIOUSLY took the materials intentionally and OBVIOUSLY resisted returning them. It's unfortunate because it gives Republicans an opportunity to try to deflect from what Trump did. But the two situations are nowhere close to equivalent.
Yes, they're different but they're both bad. Biden was negligent and his negligence put American interests and potentially lives at risk.

If CID, 93 or another government employee did something like what Biden did they would be fired and probably prosecuted.

Please, stop with the "yes our side did it but it wasn't as bad as what their side did" arguments. Let's hold people accountable for their wrong doing and negligence regardless of party or position.
The big difference I see is that Trump had declass authority as President, while Biden, as VP, did not. We're still waiting, hilariously, for a decision on that one.

Now in regards to Biden, there is no way in hell he packed up those boxes himself. I'm amazed whoever packed up the boxes allowed the documents to go. Shows they don't do a great job either.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pmIf CID, 93 or another government employee did something like what Biden did they would be fired and probably prosecuted.
This isn't true, as I've seen it happen. It really depends on intent.

At my last company, someone accidentally drove off with an entire construction set for a military installation. It was self-reported, the FBI investigated it, our company had to do some re-training, and that was the end of the story.

People mishandle classified documents all the time. On a side note, there's actually an issue in our government that we "overclassify" too many documents just to be on the safe side, even though classifying those documents isn't really necessary.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:17 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pm

The big difference I see is that Trump had declass authority as President, while Biden, as VP, did not. We're still waiting, hilariously, for a decision on that one.

Now in regards to Biden, there is no way in hell he packed up those boxes himself. I'm amazed whoever packed up the boxes allowed the documents to go. Shows they don't do a great job either.
Irrelevant - Trump never declassified anything before he was caught and then it wasn't by SOP. :coffee:

The difference is intent - and one can't help but notice the difference in response between this DOJ and Bill Barr's. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:24 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:17 am

Irrelevant - Trump never declassified anything before he was caught and then it wasn't by SOP. :coffee:

The difference is intent - and one can't help but notice the difference in response between this DOJ and Bill Barr's. :nod:
You apparently didn't read the other thread. I posted multiple links showing Trump started the process and even had back and forth about redactions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

And it will be shown that this is true by investigation, and just as with the years long investigations of Hillary Clinton, after the cameras are gone there will be a Republican like Trey Gowdy stating that "there is nothing there".
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:35 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:24 am

You apparently didn't read the other thread. I posted multiple links showing Trump started the process and even had back and forth about redactions.
and thereby proving he deliberately removed them before they were declared declassified. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:53 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:35 am

and thereby proving he deliberately removed them before they were declared declassified. :coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:05 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:53 am

This isn't true. There is an actual declassification process, varying based on the info, which the President can't override. The President isn't some absolute monarch and can't do whatever they want with state secrets. That would be dangerous AF.

Additionally, the Executive Branch can't declassify something the Legislative Branch classified without consultation. And vice-versa.

You know...separation of powers.

Also where is this Constitutional authority the dude is talking about? Please cite the Constitution.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:51 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:05 am

This isn't true. There is an actual declassification process, varying based on the info, which the President can't override. The President isn't some absolute monarch and can't do whatever they want with state secrets. That would be dangerous AF.

Additionally, the Executive Branch can't declassify something the Legislative Branch classified without consultation. And vice-versa.

You know...separation of powers.

Also where is this Constitutional authority the dude is talking about? Please cite the Constitution.
And Trump was going through that process. I gave links in the Trump thread. I don't believe the guy is saying Trump waved a wand and then he was able to mass email them. Of course there is a process to redact certain information.

Why do you think Trump had a SCIF and had them under Secret Service guard? Because the process wasn't completed. The last I heard, they were arguing over further redactions and Trump's lawyers were saying those didn't apply to Trump.

Let me find the link and I'll edit this post to add.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

So your argument is that he was going through the process as President, didn't finish in time, so he took home all the classified documents?

That doesn't fly; next time start earlier.

If he accidentally mishandled the information, I'll give him a pass. Sh*t happens, we've all moved before, and lost track of stuff along the way. Had he simply reported it, turned in the docs, and went along his merry way, he'd have gotten some flak but nothing crazy.

But he kept things knowing they are classified, continued to lie about not having the documents, and refused to hand them over. It literally took an FBI raid (approved by a grand jury) to get back the documents which Library of Congress was asking for.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:11 am So your argument is that he was going through the process as President, didn't finish in time, so he took home all the classified documents?

If he accidentally mishandled the information, I'll give him a pass. Sh*t happens, we've all moved before, and lost track of stuff along the way. Had he simply reported it, turned in the docs, and went along his merry way, he'd have gotten some flak but nothing crazy.

But he kept things knowing they are classified, continued to lie about not having the documents, and refused to hand them over. It literally took an FBI raid (approved by a grand jury) to get back the documents which Library of Congress was asking for.
Next time start earlier? You don't suppose the groups to be affected by having Russia collusion lies exposed dragged their feet in regards to finalizing the declassification.

Once again, Trump declassified the documents and had every right to take them and keep them locked up until the process was finished. You didn't see them leaked anywhere did you?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Just because you say he had every right to take them, it doesn't mean it's true. Reality eventually catches up (and did).

If he had that right, a grand jury wouldn't give the FBI the go-ahead to raid his residence. Even a panel of fellow Americans said, "No, Donald Trump does not have the right to keep classified documents. Go ahead and get them back."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:52 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:11 am So your argument is that he was going through the process as President, didn't finish in time, so he took home all the classified documents?

Next time start earlier? You don't suppose the groups to be affected by having Russia collusion lies exposed dragged their feet in regards to finalizing the declassification.

Once again, Trump declassified the documents and had every right to take them and keep them locked up until the process was finished. You didn't see them leaked anywhere did you?
Bingo.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep. Let’s see them try to charge Trump now.
https://www.newsweek.com/doj-new-nightm ... nd-1772774
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

If he had the authority to declassify documents as POTUS, that authority ended on January 20, 2021. If the process was incomplete on that date then the documents were not declassified and his authority to do so was gone.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

If he had the authority to declassify documents as POTUS, wouldn't that authority have ended on January 20, 2021. If the process was incomplete on that date then the documents were not declassified and trump's authority to do so was gone.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:23 am

If he had the authority to declassify documents as POTUS, wouldn't that authority have ended on January 20, 2021. If the process was incomplete on that date then the documents were not declassified and trump's authority to do so was gone.
We heard you the 1st time.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:09 am

If he had the authority to declassify documents as POTUS, that authority ended on January 20, 2021. If the process was incomplete on that date then the documents were not declassified and his authority to do so was gone.
True. Now that said, Trump may of had (has) a similar understanding of what the President's power is that the average American thinks it is. The President may issue a EO, but that has to be taken care of by staff/bureaucrats. Who quite easily could have delayed the implementation of that EO as long as possible. (Which is SG point) That does not mean he can declassify papers after he left office and while I do not know the rules of declassification i.e. the step by step process it takes and who signs off at each level, if it is like the other agencies that I have experience working with that authorization to declassify can be stopped at any point in that process. Which is something I doubt Trump understood and thought that once he starts the process, it just goes on.

One of the biggest issue I have with Trump is that him not understanding this process, really limited his effectiveness/incompetence depending on the issue in question. The power lies with the people doing the work, not the politicians. Which is why I am so against broad discretionary powers just assigned to an agency/department that are not beholden to the voters. And that freedom they take full advantage of to push their pet beliefs. I have seen it where you propose or ask something that somebody on that approve chain does not like, and that proposal is just dead.

I admit that I am making some assumptions in the above as I do not have personal experience in this area (declassification of documents), just a more general experience working with other areas of the U.S. government.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Intent isn’t part of the criminal statute.