Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Dam!

Post by kalm »

…removal is coming to the Klamath basin and that’s a good thing.

Snake and Columbia need to be moved on next.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/save-s ... XthniMNhAc
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Dam!

Post by dbackjon »

Most excellent!
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: It!

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:04 pm …removal is coming to the Klamath basin and that’s a good thing.

I don't disagree with removing the dams on the Klamath but what about the impact on green energy production? Will we need to burn more fossil fuels to compensate for the loss of generating capacity?

The Snake and Columbia are different animals. If were' smart, we'll have plans in place for handling the impact on energy production, shipping and crop irrigation before removing dams on those rivers.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Hopefully this won't include removal of the Dam Cup.

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Great! Take them all out. About time the freeloaders in Oregon and Washington start seeing what the true cost of energy is. :D

What a great deal for Warren Buffett's Pacificorp. $200 million cap on costs and no liability for anything. And I'd guess that Pacificorp will build 169+ MW of wind turbines to offset the lost hydro generation. The taxpayers will pay Buffett almost $16 million/year in tax credits for 10 years plus Pacificorp will get its approved 10-12% ROE on its new investment.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

There's a small dam in the community where I live. Big debate in the community about what to do with it. It needs repair and the county taxpayers are on the hook for it. County and city had been working on a grant to partially take it out, add fish ladders, and create a whitewater rapids course/area. A very vocal minority that live on the reservoir convinced enough of the city council to kill the idea. Missed the chance for a bunch of grant money and the county is still stuck with an aging dam. :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:13 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:04 pm …removal is coming to the Klamath basin and that’s a good thing.

I don't disagree with removing the dams on the Klamath but what about the impact on green energy production? Will we need to burn more fossil fuels to compensate for the loss of generating capacity?

The Snake and Columbia are different animals. If were' smart, we'll have plans in place for handling the impact on energy production, shipping and crop irrigation before removing dams on those rivers.
Indeed and it will require serious cooperation from all parties and engineering.

Something along these lines from conservative Idaho congressman, Mike Simpson.

https://simpson.house.gov/salmon/
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:54 pm Hopefully this won't include removal of the Dam Cup.

:rofl:
No one gives a fuck about the Dam Cup, SH. Sheesh!
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 am There's a small dam in the community where I live. Big debate in the community about what to do with it. It needs repair and the county taxpayers are on the hook for it. County and city had been working on a grant to partially take it out, add fish ladders, and create a whitewater rapids course/area. A very vocal minority that live on the reservoir convinced enough of the city council to kill the idea. Missed the chance for a bunch of grant money and the county is still stuck with an aging dam. :ohno:
Make the lakeside homeowners responsible.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Green energy is in the eye of the beholder - what is green about causing species to go extinct, and disrupting an ecosystem completely?

Just build a bunch of nuke plants on Hanford Reservation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 am

Green energy is in the eye of the beholder - what is green about causing species to go extinct, and disrupting an ecosystem completely?

I know it is. The dams are already built and providing energy without the climate impact of fossil fuel but the damage to the ecosystem is real and should be considered. The amount of energy the Klamath dams produce seems to be very small as well.

You'll have to convince the eco-knights that nuke plants are good.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:15 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 am There's a small dam in the community where I live. Big debate in the community about what to do with it. It needs repair and the county taxpayers are on the hook for it. County and city had been working on a grant to partially take it out, add fish ladders, and create a whitewater rapids course/area. A very vocal minority that live on the reservoir convinced enough of the city council to kill the idea. Missed the chance for a bunch of grant money and the county is still stuck with an aging dam. :ohno:
That may happen. This week the county decided to offer the dam for sale. Pretty much said to the rich loudmouth who has been the most vocal - you want to keep it you can buy it and do what you want and if you don't buy it we are going to do what we want and you can STFU.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:09 pm
That may happen. This week the county decided to offer the dam for sale. Pretty much said to the rich loudmouth who has been the most vocal - you want to keep it you can buy it and do what you want and if you don't buy it we are going to do what we want and you can STFU.
Is it a public waterway? Can a dam on a public waterway be privatized?

Not trying to kill the idea, if the loudmouths want to keep the dam and their reservoir then they should pay for it. Curious about the logistics.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:41 pm

Is it a public waterway? Can a dam on a public waterway be privatized?

Not trying to kill the idea, if the loudmouths want to keep the dam and their reservoir then they should pay for it. Curious about the logistics.
There are a few dams in Iowa owned by private associations, usually to create a recreational lake. They have to follow all the relevant regulations, permits, etc. so I would think the county could sell it to an association or individual. I'm sure the county would gladly sell it for $1 to be rid of it. I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to buy it. The county had a study done that said the dam is in fair but deteriorating condition. Rich loudmouth paid for his own study that came to the same conclusion. I hope he does buy it so it takes me as a taxpayer off the hook for it.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am
dbackjon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 am

I know it is. The dams are already built and providing energy without the climate impact of fossil fuel but the damage to the ecosystem is real and should be considered. The amount of energy the Klamath dams produce seems to be very small as well.

You'll have to convince the eco-knights that nuke plants are good.
Yes, the Klamath ones are a no-brainer. The larger ones you do have to account for the fact that a lot of the damage is already done, and until we can replace with as clean (now that they are built) sources, hard to pull the plug so to speak.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:35 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That was my reaction when I heard what the county decided to do. :nod: :nod:

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire