Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Some good news on climate

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:52 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:50 am

calling somebody that doesn't agree with continuing to poison the atmosphere an "enviro-whacko" speaks volumes on its own :coffee:

We will be after its too late
If you can't handle a little name calling in this world then you should get back under the sheets you woke up under this morning and try again tomorrow. Maybe even order some big boy pants from Amazon and see if that helps. The adults here can certainly continue the conversation in your absence.
I can handle it fine, just saying it speaks volumes. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:50 am

calling somebody that doesn't agree with continuing to poison the atmosphere an "enviro-whacko" speaks volumes on its own :coffee:

We will be after its too late
If you can't handle a little name calling in this world then you should get back under the sheets you woke up under this morning and try again tomorrow. Maybe even order some big boy pants from Amazon and see if that helps. The adults here can certainly continue the conversation in your absence.
Name calling isn’t very adult. Rise above, you idiot.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:47 pm

Fucking cry baby envirowhacko!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:27 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:47 pm

You give yourself way too much credit if you think one of your excuses for an insult inspires anything more than a giggle in me. I've been insulted and had ass chewings from people so much more accomplished at it than a barely weaned snot-nose comsymp bicycle twat. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The WSJ…not exactly great at reasoning.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:14 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:27 pm

You give yourself way too much credit if you think one of your excuses for an insult inspires anything more than a giggle in me. I've been insulted and had ass chewings from people so much more accomplished at it than a barely weaned snot-nose comsymp bicycle twat. :coffee:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:07 pm
houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:14 am

If you do it isn't evident in your posts. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:45 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:07 pm

The lady doth protest...again. :blah: Put a cork in it, chatty Cathy.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:52 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:45 am

The lady doth protest...again. :blah: Put a cork in it, chatty Cathy.
snippy snippy.....:rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Lol. Eco terrorists finding out ‘Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:47 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:34 pm
The whole field is full of quack science.
Based on a study by Science Advances in 2021, the Philippines is the leading country on the list of top 10 ocean plastic contributors – generating an estimated 356,371 MT of plastic waste in our ocean. This is followed by India (126,513 MT) Malaysia (73,098 MT), China (70,707 MT), Indonesia (56,333 MT), Myanmar (40,000 MT), Brazil (37,799 MT), Vietnam (28,221 MT), Bangladesh (24,640 MT), and Thailand (22,806 MT).
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:58 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:47 pm

The whole field is full of quack science.
Based on a study by Science Advances in 2021, the Philippines is the leading country on the list of top 10 ocean plastic contributors – generating an estimated 356,371 MT of plastic waste in our ocean. This is followed by India (126,513 MT) Malaysia (73,098 MT), China (70,707 MT), Indonesia (56,333 MT), Myanmar (40,000 MT), Brazil (37,799 MT), Vietnam (28,221 MT), Bangladesh (24,640 MT), and Thailand (22,806 MT).
Good reply Gil.

Should have been more specific on my reply. Plastic and the lack of recycling is a true issue, but the field of Climate Change is still full of pseudo science.

I keep saying it over and over, but if you are scientifically illiterate, like 75% of the population, you will fall for the bologna.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:58 am

Good reply Gil.

Should have been more specific on my reply. Plastic and the lack of recycling is a true issue, but the field of Climate Change is still full of pseudo science.

I keep saying it over and over, but if you are scientifically illiterate, like 75% of the population, you will fall for the bologna.
And if you’re scientifically literate like 100% of climate scientists, there’s a 97% chance you’re aware of the threats.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:40 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 am

Good reply Gil.

And if you’re scientifically literate like 100% of climate scientists, there’s a 97% chance you’re aware of the threats.
Is that why none of their models are correct and they hide data and methodologies?

And yet again. Klams patented appeal to authority fallacy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:13 am
kalm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:40 am

Is that why none of their models are correct and they hide data and methodologies?

It’s true…I prefer pointy headed sciencey types with degrees and actual experience in their forks vs. alt right tin foil hats who are “experts” in every field.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:13 am

It’s true…I prefer pointy headed sciencey types with degrees and actual experience in their forks vs. alt right tin foil hats who are “experts” in every field.
Just can't stop with the logical fallacies, can you?

You keep thinking I'm researching the Internet to refute, when there are ample "pointy headed sciencey types" who actually present real data and arguments contrary to what you keep peddling.

The problem here is that I'm a pointy headed science type who understands math, science and the data, while you, know about chinch bugs.

Tell you what. How about you give me a link to Michael Manns hockey stick data and methodology and I'll read through it for you.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am
kalm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 am

You keep thinking I'm researching the Internet to refute, when there are ample "pointy headed sciencey types" who actually present real data and arguments contrary to what you keep peddling.

The problem here is that I'm a pointy headed science type who understands math, science and the data, while you, know about chinch bugs.

Tell you what. How about you give me a link to Michael Manns hockey stick data and methodology and I'll read through it for you.
Yes I’m sure you’ve figured it out. Crunched the numbers, applied the math. Now if only science would listen to you!!!

:lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:02 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:36 am

Yes I’m sure you’ve figured it out. Crunched the numbers, applied the math. Now if only science would listen to you!!!

Well, yes. Science would be much better if they listened to me. :kisswink:

Regardless, this is a subject I've been pointing out from the time I started on this board. A particular view in science is questioned by equally competent experts in the field, but those reaping the monetary awards don't want their gravy train derailed, so they don't engage in substantive discussion. It's not the form of science I learned.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:36 pm

Regardless, this is a subject I've been pointing out from the time I started on this board. A particular view in science is questioned by equally competent experts in the field, but those reaping the monetary awards don't want their gravy train derailed, so they don't engage in substantive discussion. It's not the form of science I learned.
Aren't both sides eating at the trough?

Each has its benefactors and it's fair to question both sides motives.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

er....you engage in substantive debate by publishing your findings in reputable, peer-reviewed, journals....well, not you, you learned a different form of science - but thats what the pros, the really sciencey geeks do. They were upping their science game while you were busy inflicting pain on Navy SEALS and schooling the world on virology.....
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:12 pm

er....you engage in substantive debate by publishing your findings in reputable, peer-reviewed, journals....well, not you, you learned a different form of science - but thats what the pros, the really sciencey geeks do. They were upping their science game while you were busy inflicting pain on Navy SEALS and schooling the world on virology.....
:lol: You apparently never watched a science debate have you? They don't hash out large topics via submitting to journals. This is what used to happen, but as I stated that when those peddling junk science couldn't defend their theory in front of the crowd, they abandoned that approach.

Kind of like how Michael Mann has refused to release his data and methodology on the hockey stick graph to anyone outside his climategate buddies. Remember climategate?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:48 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:12 pm

:lol: You apparently never watched a science debate have you? They don't hash out large topics via submitting to journals. This is what used to happen, but as I stated that when those peddling junk science couldn't defend their theory in front of the crowd, they abandoned that approach.

Kind of like how Michael Mann has refused to release his data and methodology on the hockey stick graph to anyone outside his climategate buddies. Remember climategate?
Mann are you years behind that story.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:08 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:48 pm

Mann are you years behind that story.
Ha!
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I’ll get a bicycle before I ever buy an EV … could use the exercise
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

That escalated quickly.
The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) described Otis as a "life-threatening storm surge" which would bring large and dangerous waves, destructive winds and heavy rainfall. This could lead to flash flooding and mudslides, NOAA warned.

"There are no hurricanes on record even close to this intensity for this part of Mexico," according to the National Hurricane Center.

Forecasters said Otis "explosively intensified" by 110mph (177km/h) within 24 hours, rapidly morphing from a tropical storm into a category five hurricane. More storms like this are on the horizon as climate change causes hurricanes to intensify. The proportion of hurricanes that become category four and five is projected to increase due to climate change. Rising ocean temperatures are making storms transform rapidly into powerful hurricanes in a single day, according to a 2022 study by researchers at the University of Reading in the UK.

Now scientists are hoping to find out more about what leads these destructive storms to grow in intensity over such a short period of time.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2023 ... -intensify