Poll: Democrats are trying to convince voters that democracy will die if Republicans win because?

Political discussions

Democrats are trying to convince voters that democracy will die if Republicans win because?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:44 am

It's true
6%
The economy is in shambles, abortion isn't getting enough traction and they're in danger of losing a lot of elections so they're resorting to fear-mongering to maintain their hold on power
94%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 18

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Poll: Democrats are trying to convince voters that democracy will die if Republicans win because?

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:46 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am

Again that is an opinion by the author (and yourself). :coffee:

What uncharted territory? Roe v Wade is a made up a constitutional" right in '73. It didn't exist before as it was a states right issue and now it is back to how it was originally. Author is projecting. First point dismissed.

Half the voters deny a fair election occurred? Repeating a claim does not make it true. Where are the facts to back it up? Polls? Evidence? Until that happens, it is so much opinion. That they would of somehow "installed" Trump as President is more opinion. Talk is cheap. If one assume Jan 6th was the accumulation of such an event, then the "effect" is laughable. Buffalo Head guy was a real master mind. There must be loads of treason convictions, no? Stupidity isn't against the law. Second point, noted and logged as opinion.

It is a fluff piece plain and simple. That you defend and hold it up as an example of virtuous reporting by a so-called historian is telling. I will not judge if that floats your boat, but it detracts from your overall arguments here on this board. Emotion is a good (and necessary) thing but not when it overrules facts and clouds judgement.

This emotional appeal rather than factual is a interesting data point in your last few years of posts. I find the use of emotional rather than factual to be a lack-luster debate point and shows cases the weakness of ones argument. But that is my :twocents:
Facts:

She wrote 1/2 the candidates not the voters. That part was Roe. Regardless I’m guessing thaws type of statistics can be taken from polling and/or public statements by candidates.

Now go cry in your cheerios you big emotional sap. :)
Well, still waiting for you to provide the evidence that "more than half" (direct quote from your piece) of the GOP candidates running nationwide today would've 1) denied the election results and 2) would've taken steps to keep Trump in power. That's the main point you're trying to get across here so it seems reasonable that such a key piece of your argument would have easily accessible, hard numbers to base it on. Or on the other hand, you're just winging it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Poll: Democrats are trying to convince voters that democracy will die if Republicans win because?

Post by Baldy »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:35 am
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:06 am This post is NOT for the historian deniers…

(But gives a concise example of the democracy threat)

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... dium=email
You really have a boner for her don't you?
Of course he does, she's a straight down the line doctrinaire 'progressive'.

Her entire career has been developing absurd theories and writing about how the Conk party has destroyed everything about America since 1860.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 am

Facts:

She wrote 1/2 the candidates not the voters. That part was Roe. Regardless I’m guessing thaws type of statistics can be taken from polling and/or public statements by candidates.

Well, still waiting for you to provide the evidence that "more than half" (direct quote from your piece) of the GOP candidates running nationwide today would've 1) denied the election results and 2) would've taken steps to keep Trump in power. That's the main point you're trying to get across here so it seems reasonable that such a key piece of your argument would have easily accessible, hard numbers to base it on. Or on the other hand, you're just winging it.
Her assertion, not mine. I’m fine with it tho as I’m sure the number is uncomfortable amount for any reasonable person.

Feel free to debunk if you’d like.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:58 am

Facts:

Candidates or voters. Still takes proof to back up the claim she made. There are some that have made that statement, but not half (at least that I have seen). :thumb:

If I shed any tears tonight, it will be tears of joy and because the wine and meal are so good. It was mussels in a blue cheese broth last night. Tonight I am thinking some type of seafood ravioli and a good local French wine. :kisswink:
You had me at mussels in blue cheese broth. Interesting! Are you traveling?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:06 am This post is NOT for the historian deniers…

Remember, though, this election is full of wild cards. Traditionally—but not always—the party of the president does poorly in the first midterm election. But we are in uncharted territory: never before in our history have more than half of Americans lost the recognition of a constitutional right, as the Supreme Court took from us with the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health decision in June, overturning the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that recognized the constitutional right to an abortion.

Never, too, have we had to vote in an election where more than half the candidates of one of the parties deny that the president was fairly elected. Those candidates have suggested that, had they been in power in 2020, they would have put former president Donald Trump in power even though he lost the popular vote by more than 7 million and lost in the Electoral College. Their position is a profound attack on our democracy.
I quit reading right there. There is, and never was, a constitutional right to abortion. I’ve read the Constitution multiple times. Its not there.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 am
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:59 am

Your opinion on the entire piece writ large. The two paragraphs I posted are quite true and demonstrate a threat to democracy….quite clearly.
Again that is an opinion by the author (and yourself). :coffee:

What uncharted territory? Roe v Wade is a made up a constitutional" right in '73. It didn't exist before as it was a states right issue and now it is back to how it was originally. Author is projecting. First point dismissed.

Half the voters deny a fair election occurred? Repeating a claim does not make it true. Where are the facts to back it up? Polls? Evidence? Until that happens, it is so much opinion. That they would of somehow "installed" Trump as President is more opinion. Talk is cheap. If one assume Jan 6th was the accumulation of such an event, then the "effect" is laughable. Buffalo Head guy was a real master mind. There must be loads of treason convictions, no? Stupidity isn't against the law. Second point, noted and logged as opinion.

It is a fluff piece plain and simple. That you defend and hold it up as an example of virtuous reporting by a so-called historian is telling. I will not judge if that floats your boat, but it detracts from your overall arguments here on this board. Emotion is a good (and necessary) thing but not when it overrules facts and clouds judgement.

This emotional appeal rather than factual is a interesting data point in your last few years of posts. I find the use of emotional rather than factual to be a lack-luster debate point and shows cases the weakness of ones argument. But that is my :twocents:
Bingo.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Facts:

Candidates or voters. Still takes proof to back up the claim she made. There are some that have made that statement, but not half (at least that I have seen). :thumb:

If I shed any tears tonight, it will be tears of joy and because the wine and meal are so good. It was mussels in a blue cheese broth last night. Tonight I am thinking some type of seafood ravioli and a good local French wine. :kisswink:
:nod:

60% of Democratic candidates for state and nationwide office are closet Marxists who plan to overthrow our Republic and replace it with a authoritarian state with an economy controlled by the government. Typing it doesn't make it true, just like what the author typed.

The whole democracy will end canard is the Democratic version of Qanon conspiracy theories. People who believe them have some nice hats though ...
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:43 pm

60% of Democratic candidates for state and nationwide office are closet Marxists who plan to overthrow our Republic and replace it with a authoritarian state with an economy controlled by the government. Typing it doesn't make it true, just like what the author typed.

The whole democracy will end canard is the Democratic version of Qanon conspiracy theories. People who believe them have some nice hats though ...
Shit you’re on to our plan!

Does MAGA know their candidates were supposed to stay in the closet about denying election results instead of running on them?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:04 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:43 pm

Does MAGA know their candidates were supposed to stay in the closet about denying election results instead of running on them?
I'm not a MAGAt so I don't know.

The whole election was stolen canard is red-meat to MAGAt extremists just like the Democracy will end if Republicans win canard is red-meat to ctrl-left extremists.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:58 am Candidates or voters. Still takes proof to back up the claim she made. There are some that have made that statement, but not half (at least that I have seen). :thumb:

Here you go. Last night's main course (small hole in the wall local French place) blu cheese mussels and garlic broth with French Fries.

And I am. Currently hanging out in the Pays de La Loire costal region of France.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm
kalm wrote:
Here you go. Last night's main course (small hole in the wall local French place) blu cheese mussels and garlic broth with French Fries.

And I am. Currently hanging out in the Pays de La Loire costal region of France.
For some reason my photo does not want to upload tonight but I will throw something together here this week and showcase a bit of this trip. Made it up to Omaha and Utah beaches and got to poke around which has always been on my bucket list.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:00 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm Here you go. Last night's main course (small hole in the wall local French place) blu cheese mussels and garlic broth with French Fries.

For some reason my photo does not want to upload tonight but I will throw something together here this week and showcase a bit of this trip. Made it up to Omaha and Utah beaches and got to poke around which has always been on my bucket list.
Very cool!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:07 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:04 pm

I'm not a MAGAt so I don't know.

The whole election was stolen canard is red-meat to MAGAt extremists just like the Democracy will end if Republicans win canard is red-meat to ctrl-left extremists.
I would hope you’re not. My point is MAGA hasn’t exactly been quiet about their plans and intentions. It’s not unreasonable to take them at their word.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 amYou had me at mussels in blue cheese broth. Interesting! Are you traveling?
Moules au Roquefort or Mussels in blue cheese/garlic sauce. Sop up the rest of the sauce with french bread. Be sure you are never going to speak to anyone ever again because the garlic stays on your breath for days, but worth it.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:47 am

I quit reading right there. There is, and never was, a constitutional right to abortion. I’ve read the Constitution multiple times. Its not there.
Looks like she was right though - more people voted based on abortion than the polls thought would. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm
kalm wrote:

A good meal in a wonderful setting is a brilliant way to take the sting out electoral rejection! :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Is it indictment season yet?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:06 am Is it indictment season yet?
Durham is getting ready to drop the hammer :coffee: