Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Welcome To Hell, Elon

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:33 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:20 am Taibbi owns lib donk congresswoman..
I never thought I'd see the day that BDK would be supporting Taibbi and kalm would be pooh-poohing him but it's happened. I don't think we need to worry about global warming, hell is about to freeze over. :D
Your moniker BDKlamJMU is very appropriate. :lol: :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Longer video of the above tweet. I am thinking the list that has AOC and MTG on it needs to be expanded. How can one not do any research on the topic at hand? Not knowing what Substack is or even having 30 seconds to google it? :ohno:

I did find it entertaining that the same group that declared that journalistic sources should not be named a few years back, now want journalists to out their sources.

phpBB [video]
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:23 am
I support Taibbi on this but haven't you posted that information anonymous sources can't be trusted?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The Twitter files so far are as illuminating as Tucker’s J6 video expose.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 am
I support Taibbi on this but haven't you posted that information anonymous sources can't be trusted?
Yes. But:

1. Here you have actual evidence to back up the anonymous source- actual files. Its one thing to have an anymous source(s) backed up by physical evidence. Its another when you have simple ‘according to anonymous sources within the (insert organization here)’ but without corroborating physical evidence to back up what the anonymous source claimed.

2. Donks have routinely criticized conks for downplaying claims of anonymous sources, but here you have donks doing what they criticize conks for. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

3. Plus the whole chaos is entertaining. I wish our Congressional hearings operated more like the British Parliament. More people would watch..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am
I find them more illuminating than Tucker's J6 video expose or the findings of the J6 Committee.

Congressional Democrats wouldn't be attempting to grill Taibbi if they weren't potentially a big deal. They would just ignore them and let them fade away. The fact that they're trying to discredit Taibbi is an indication that they're worth considering.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:13 am
kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am

I find them more illuminating than Tucker's J6 video expose or the findings of the J6 Committee.

Congressional Democrats wouldn't be attempting to grill Taibbi if they weren't potentially a big deal. They would just ignore them and let them fade away. The fact that they're trying to discredit Taibbi is an indication that they're worth considering.
Much, much more for me.I have stated my piece on J6 and the committee, but this should make everybody nervous because the implications are bigger than a riot at the capital. And as BDK stated, we now have physical evidence of what is going on and anybody that poo-poo's it really isn't too concerned about freedom in the coming years.

And before somebody accuses me of partisanship, I don't care who is doing it, Republicans or Democrats, it should not be done. This time it is D's and left leaning people with egg on their face, there is (and will be) R's and right leaning people going down the same path. Best to root it out now.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:18 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:13 am

Much, much more for me.I have stated my piece on J6 and the committee, but this should make everybody nervous because the implications are bigger than a riot at the capital. And as BDK stated, we now have physical evidence of what is going on and anybody that poo-poo's it really isn't too concerned about freedom in the coming years.

And before somebody accuses me of partisanship, I don't care who is doing it, Republicans or Democrats, it should not be done. This time it is D's and left leaning people with egg on their face, there is (and will be) R's and right leaning people going down the same path. Best to root it out now.
So you’re equally as concerned regarding Fox News propaganda?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am

I am as concerned about Fox News propaganda as I am about CNN and MSNBC propaganda.

To Winter's point, I'm more concerned about government bureaucrats and political parties pressuring information providers and what that means for how and what information is available and ultimately our freedoms. Democrats are assailing journalists now but it wasn't that long ago the Republicans were doing it (BDK was clear that anonymous sources couldn't be trusted if they were providing information that reflected poorly on trump or Republicans). We are better with a vibrant and independent 4th estate.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:33 am

I am as concerned about Fox News propaganda as I am about CNN and MSNBC propaganda.

To Winter's point, I'm more concerned about government bureaucrats and political parties pressuring information providers and what that means for how and what information is available and ultimately our freedoms. Democrats are assailing journalists now but it wasn't that long ago the Republicans were doing it (BDK was clear that anonymous sources couldn't be trusted if they were providing information that reflected poorly on trump or Republicans). We are better with a vibrant and independent 4th estate.
I bring up Fox because of the Dominion texts and emails that have recently come to light as well as the Trump admin also reaching out to Twitter to censor Posts like Trump being called a “pussy ass bitch”.

:)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:12 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 am

Yes. But:

1. Here you have actual evidence to back up the anonymous source- actual files. Its one thing to have an anymous source(s) backed up by physical evidence. Its another when you have simple ‘according to anonymous sources within the (insert organization here)’ but without corroborating physical evidence to back up what the anonymous source claimed.

2. Donks have routinely criticized conks for downplaying claims of anonymous sources, but here you have donks doing what they criticize conks for. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

3. Plus the whole chaos is entertaining. I wish our Congressional hearings operated more like the British Parliament. More people would watch..
:nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:40 am

I bring up Fox because of the Dominion texts and emails that have recently come to light as well as the Trump admin also reaching out to Twitter to censor Posts like Trump being called a “pussy ass bitch”.

As in: "Where's my $130,000 you pussy ass bitch?"
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:40 am

trump and Republicans are just as guilty of this as Democrats. They haven't been as successful but that was due to a lack of sympathetic individuals with the information providers (excluding Fox and more extreme rightwing outlets) not lack of effort.

The willingness of information providers to throw their journalistic credibility down the toilet and collude with government and/or campaign staffers is a huge problem. The willingness of government bureaucrats to pressure information providers to withhold and/or distort the truth is an even bigger problem. This might not be Watergate but it is significant and should not be swept under the rug.

We are better with a vibrant and independent 4th estate.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Have I ever given the impression that I only hold one side to a set of standards and let the other side get a pass?

I basically said that neither side should be allowed to do it in my second paragraph. And like '88 said, just because Trump and the Republicans weren't as successful at it is no reason they should be treated any different.

I am willing take it one step further than '88's statement in that an vibrant and independent 4th estate is essential to a healthy country and government. Without it, the corruption you so lament, is here to stay.

Juvenal said it best "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" or translated states, "Who will guard the guards themselves?".

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Have I ever given the impression that I only hold one side to a set of standards and let the other side get a pass?

I basically said that neither side should be allowed to do it in my second paragraph. And like '88 said, just because Trump and the Republicans weren't as successful at it is no reason they should be treated any different.

I am willing take it one step further than '88's statement in that an vibrant and independent 4th estate is essential to a healthy country and government. Without it, the corruption you so lament, is here to stay.

Juvenal said it best "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" or translated states, "Who will guard the guards themselves?".
Agreed.

The 4th estate is broken. Legacy media and to an extent, social media, similar to regulators, is being held by corporate capture and the revolving door from regulation to government. Alt media is unreliable and/or under capitalized to put reporter boots on the ground and devote months if not years to investigative journalism.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:12 am
Yes. But:

Well hell’s been freezing over lately. Agreeing with UNI88 yesterday, and now Hounddawg.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am

Well hell’s been freezing over lately. Agreeing with UNI88 yesterday, and now Hounddawg.
Tell me again how climate change ain't real... :shock:

I love watching the clips where the PM has to stand up before Parliament and state his case and answer questions right there on the spot. Part of the reason their politicians come across as more intelligent than our drooling halfwits like Jerkin' Jim Jordan, and that dumb twat from Georgia... :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Tim Poole, Gaetz, and Bannon in the house…

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:36 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm

I love watching the clips where the PM has to stand up before Parliament and state his case and answer questions right there on the spot. Part of the reason their politicians come across as more intelligent than our drooling halfwits like Jerkin' Jim Jordan, and that dumb twat from Georgia... :ohno:
Yeah, Hank ‘the Island might tip over‘ Johnson is the biggest idiot in Congess. Certainly ranks up there with the dumbest thing ever said by a congressman.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Free the tourists!

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:36 pm

Yeah, Hank ‘the Island might tip over‘ Johnson is the biggest idiot in Congess. Certainly ranks up there with the dumbest thing ever said by a congressman.
Only if you're dim-witted enough to take him literally :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:12 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 am
Only if you're dim-witted enough to take him literally :coffee:
How should a person take that statement? I guess one could be dim-witted enough to believe that it was obviously a "metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing".

Johnson's statement was even dumber than "supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you could do either through the skin or in some other way".
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This will definitely improve the site and make people happy.

:lol:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Jim Jordan Demands IRS Explain Unannounced Visit to Matt Taibbi’s Home
Federal agents were dispatched to Taibbi’s residence the very same day that the investigative journalist appeared before the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government, also chaired by Representative Jordan.
Plaskett derided Taibbi as a “so-called journalist” and repeatedly insisted that there was no “real evidence” publicized in the Twitter Files showing coordination between the federal government and the social-media platform.

“Ranking Member Plaskett, I’m not a so-called journalist,” Taibbi countered. “I’ve won the National Magazine Award, the I.F. Stone Award for Independent Journalism, and I’ve written ten books, including four New York Times best sellers.”
“Being a Republican witness today certainly casts a cloud over your objectivity.”
Just ahead of testifying, Taibbi released a new installment of the Twitter Files revealing that the social-media company had established a “Censorship-Industrial Complex” whereby agencies such as the FBI and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and NGOs including the Atlantic Council and National Endowment for Democracy regularly consulted with the social-media platform in an effort to censor or downplay posts they found objectionable.