Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Welcome To Hell, Elon

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Jim Jordan Demands IRS Explain Unannounced Visit to Matt Taibbi’s Home
Federal agents were dispatched to Taibbi’s residence the very same day that the investigative journalist appeared before the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government, also chaired by Representative Jordan.
Plaskett derided Taibbi as a “so-called journalist” and repeatedly insisted that there was no “real evidence” publicized in the Twitter Files showing coordination between the federal government and the social-media platform.

“Ranking Member Plaskett, I’m not a so-called journalist,” Taibbi countered. “I’ve won the National Magazine Award, the I.F. Stone Award for Independent Journalism, and I’ve written ten books, including four New York Times best sellers.”
“Being a Republican witness today certainly casts a cloud over your objectivity.”
Just ahead of testifying, Taibbi released a new installment of the Twitter Files revealing that the social-media company had established a “Censorship-Industrial Complex” whereby agencies such as the FBI and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and NGOs including the Atlantic Council and National Endowment for Democracy regularly consulted with the social-media platform in an effort to censor or downplay posts they found objectionable.
How amyone could work for that crooked, rogue organization is beyond me. Their sole function is to harrass American taxpayers.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Absolute beat down of Taibbi here.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

You get what you want to see. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:48 am You get what you want to see. :coffee:
At least Taibbi semi-admits he’s wrong about some things. What did you see?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:07 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:48 am You get what you want to see. :coffee:
At least Taibbi semi-admits he’s wrong about some things. What did you see?
Somethings are open to interpretation on the twitter files I would agree and Tabai admits as such.

What I saw was a combative "host" not interested in a give-n-take with the guest. The host had a agenda to push and he did what he set out to do.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:48 pm Absolute beat down of Taibbi here.

Why can't the Twitter files dump be both an unsavory example of government censorship and an Elon Musk score settling at the same time? Why is it either/or?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:32 am
kalm wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:48 pm Absolute beat down of Taibbi here.

Why can't the Twitter files dump be both an unsavory example of government censorship and an Elon Musk score settling at the same time? Why is it either/or?
That’s exactly what it should be. Which is why it’s important for the journalist to not leave a shred of doubt through his reporting.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:06 am

That’s exactly what it should be. Which is why it’s important for the journalist to not leave a shred of doubt through his reporting.
Which I think Tabbi is doing (I have read most of what he has put out and his blog). He is giving the best he can and asking for constructive public discourse. What the MSNBC host was doing was not that. And stating it was a "beat down" is disingenuous (in the past you have claimed not to have paid much attention at all to the releases, so I am struggling how you can gauge the releases and their standing along with what the authors of the releases are trying to convey) and contributes to the same partisan environment we currently have.

Tabbi should be rightly held to that higher standard but so should every other news organization. Taking the high road starts with us as individuals. Language/words are used to convey meaning, which is an insight into the minds that use it by readers of that message. :twocents:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Taibbi disagreed with Hasan on most of what Hasan said Taibbi got wrong. I have as much faith in an MSNBC host as I do a Fox News host so I'd love to see a list of their differences with a real fact check. The only thing I heard Taibbi admit to erring on was mixing up the letters in an acronym which Hasan wanted to used as proof that Taibbi was wrong about everything else.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:07 am

Which I think Tabbi is doing (I have read most of what he has put out and his blog). He is giving the best he can and asking for constructive public discourse. What the MSNBC host was doing was not that. And stating it was a "beat down" is disingenuous (in the past you have claimed not to have paid much attention at all to the releases, so I am struggling how you can gauge the releases and their standing along with what the authors of the releases are trying to convey) and contributes to the same partisan environment we currently have.

Tabbi should be rightly held to that higher standard but so should every other news organization. Taking the high road starts with us as individuals. Language/words are used to convey meaning, which is an insight into the minds that use it by readers of that message. :twocents:
Ok…not a beat down. Taibbi wasn’t prepared for questions he should have seen coming.

I read the first few releases and quit. This exchange was not at all surprising given what I had already read.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:15 am

Ok…not a beat down. Taibbi wasn’t prepared for questions he should have seen coming.

I read the first few releases and quit. This exchange was not at all surprising given what I had already read.
I will chalk it up to you trolling. :kisswink:

Perhaps he could have been better prepared. I have been in similar situations as Tabbi and the MSNBC host (not with reporters thank the good Lord) and when somebody is that combative, it doesn't matter how prepared one is, they are going to run you over, as all they are looking for is you to lose your temper and give them something they can use against you.

And I would agree that this outcome is not surprising based on the parties involved (mainstream media). Tabbi should have known better than to put himself in that situation but they would have used his refusal the same way they would have used the clip of him loosing his cool (which they were so desperately trying to get).

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Update: Taibbi announced he is leaving Twitter over the new Substack link block policy (He gets subscription fees) and Musk has unfollowed Taibbi.

* not trolling
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Update.

(And there is now a search term block on Taibbi’s posts)

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

No shit? :shock:

So you could be the guy that knows what "woke" means!
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:40 am CNN News Update: Taibbi announced he is leaving Twitter over the new Substack link block policy (He gets subscription fees) and Musk has unfollowed Taibbi.

* not trolling
FYP :kisswink:

Based on what Substack is currently doing, I would find it odd if Musk would keep following Taibbi.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:38 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:40 am CNN News Update: Taibbi announced he is leaving Twitter over the new Substack link block policy (He gets subscription fees) and Musk has unfollowed Taibbi.

* not trolling
FYP :kisswink:

Based on what Substack is currently doing, I would find it odd if Musk would keep following Taibbi.
It doesn’t surprise me I guess. Just not how I’d operate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:23 pm Image
Just cracking eggs for the omelet.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

:lol:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:21 pm :lol:

I still doesn’t appear the blue check thing is going well for Elon.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:33 pm
Baldy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:21 pm :lol:

Only to the ones who lost their legacy blue check.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:09 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:33 pm

Only to the ones who lost their legacy blue check.
Not really. It’s all over the map with some regaining there’s without paying and most I’m seeing just laughing at the mess he created.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »