AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Shipping Migrants Inland

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:08 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:58 am

Lamenting poor Martha’s vineyard, and how they’re not “set up to handle” and house large groups of immigrants. Like Del Rio, TX, McAllen, TX, Eagle Pass, TX, Nogales, AZ, Laredo, TX, or Normandy, Quemado, or Comstock or Pumpville or Dryden or any of 100 other small, poor border towns ARE magically set up to handle large influxes of immigrants, apparently simply because of their proximity. These folks have neither the money nor the other resources necessary to handle the overwhelming # of illegals passing through their towns, yet we’re supposed to laud MV because they somehow managed to overcome overwhelming odds and band together to handle 50???? Ohhhh….temporary (VERY temporary, as they shipped them out faster than they came in) housing, medical treatment, and food. Wow. Good for them. But they sure as fuck didn’t want them in their community did they? THEY have the resources to move them on. The people in the communities I mentioned above (and many, many more that go unmentioned) are overrun and do NOT have those resources at their disposal.

And the Feds stand by with their hands in their pockets claiming the border is somehow magically secure.

Edit: And here’s a newsflash: There are so many immigrants coming over, even the LARGE, well-funded communities like Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson, etc., etc. are being stressed to the hilt trying to figure out how to deal with hundreds of thousands of illegals. So you’ll excuse me when i don’t sing MV’s praises because they bravely handled one planeload of 50.
:crybaby:

Anybody tough enough to walk to the US through desert just so they can mow lawns can live by me anytime. We need more people like that and fewer like your crowd of pansies. :coffee:
Easy to say from the cheap seats in Illinois.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:01 am

Anybody tough enough to walk to the US through desert just so they can mow lawns can live by me anytime. We need more people like that and fewer like your crowd of pansies. :coffee:
:clap:

The few illegal immigrants I know are some of the hardest working people I've met. They do stuff Americans don't want to (the US barely brings people over to do these tough non-agricultural jobs...restaurants, construction, etc). We NEED them for our economy.

Plus they're sweet people, they bring diversity to our communities, and the food is f*cking delicious.

I'm proud to have them as my neighbors and I hope in the future, they have pathways to citizenship. They're the American dream.
Is it jobs Americans won't do, or jobs they won't do for **** wages?

Moreover...if they don't drive down wages why does the Chamber of Commerce love illegal immigration so much?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:27 pm

The few illegal immigrants I know are some of the hardest working people I've met. They do stuff Americans don't want to (the US barely brings people over to do these tough non-agricultural jobs...restaurants, construction, etc). We NEED them for our economy.

Plus they're sweet people, they bring diversity to our communities, and the food is f*cking delicious.

I'm proud to have them as my neighbors and I hope in the future, they have pathways to citizenship. They're the American dream.

Moreover...if they don't drive down wages why does the Chamber of Commerce love illegal immigration so much?
The People flown to Martha's Vineyard are not illegal immigrants. They are legal asylum seekers.

And what Republicans like Desantis are doing is childish. That should be no surprise. They have been acting like children for years now.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:57 pm

The People flown to Martha's Vineyard are not illegal immigrants. They are legal asylum seekers.

And what Republicans like Desantis are doing is childish. That should be no surprise. They have been acting like children for years now.
Yes. They’re ALL asylum seekers. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I think technically they're only legal asylum seekers if they first sought asylum and were denied in the first country the encountered on the way to the US (for most, then, this wouldn't be the United States). Technically speaking, you don't get to choose which country you seek asylum in. I think we tend to overlook this technicality when we adjudicate asylum cases, but if you're going to resort to calling it legal then the legal merits of the claim come into play.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 am

I think technically they're only legal asylum seekers if they first sought asylum and were denied in the first country the encountered on the way to the US (for most, then, this wouldn't be the United States). Technically speaking, you don't get to choose which country you seek asylum in. I think we tend to overlook this technicality when we adjudicate asylum cases, but if you're going to resort to calling it legal then the legal merits of the claim come into play.
Some of them are due in federal court back in Texas. Less than 30% of applicants are granted asylum.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The charter flights appear to be inspired by a Tucker Carlson monologue from July 26, in which the notoriously xenophobic host suggested sending migrants to Martha's Vineyard in "huge numbers."

DeSantis reportedly sent a videographer along for the ride, and Fox News obtained "exclusive footage of the migrants’ arrival."

In the aftermath of the flights, a key issue of contention is whether the migrants boarded the flights freely and voluntarily. While DeSantis and his administration repeatedly referred to the migrants as "illegal immigrants," the migrants surrendered to immigration officials after crossing the border into Texas. They are now seeking asylum from the repressive authoritarian regime in Venezuela. The migrants are legally permitted to remain in the United States while their cases are being considered by immigration courts…..

DeSantis has been adamant that the migrants were not misled. He claims that migrants were provided with a map showing the destination was Martha's Vineyard and describes the flights as "all voluntary." Appearing on Fox News on Sunday Morning, Florida Lt. Governor Jeanette Nunez (R) called allegations that the migrants were misled "categorically false."

Popular Information, however, has obtained a brochure that was provided to the migrants who ultimately agreed to the flights. It was provided to Popular Information by Lawyers for Civil Rights (LCR), a Boston-based legal organization that represents 30 of the migrants. The brochure says that migrants who arrive in Massachusetts will be eligible for numerous benefits, including "8 months cash assistance," "assistance with housing," "food," "clothing," "transportation to job interviews," "job training," "job placement," "registering children for school," "assistance applying for Social Security cards," and many other benefits.

https://popular.info/p/the-smoking-gun- ... s-vineyard
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:36 am

Some of them are due in federal court back in Texas. Less than 30% of applicants are granted asylum.
Of course the add-on question is how many return for their day in court, and what happens to the ones who are not granted asylum or do not return for their day in court?

Like I said in another post, our immigration policy, or lack thereof, is objectionable in many ways. Our de facto open border (and I struggle to find any argument saying that it is not open to be a sustainable argument) encourages people to risk their safety and their lives to try to reach the US border (and most come from countries several countries removed from the US, so these folks are crossing oceans (in some cases) and many countries to reach here), and then we don't have a system in place to properly deal with these folks once they do get here. We need to fix both those things. We need a good, robust, and legal immigration system to bring in the number of immigrants we do need - right now we don't have that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:44 am

Of course the add-on question is how many return for their day in court, and what happens to the ones who are not granted asylum or do not return for their day in court?

Like I said in another post, our immigration policy, or lack thereof, is objectionable in many ways. Our de facto open border (and I struggle to find any argument saying that it is not open to be a sustainable argument) encourages people to risk their safety and their lives to try to reach the US border (and most come from countries several countries removed from the US, so these folks are crossing oceans (in some cases) and many countries to reach here), and then we don't have a system in place to properly deal with these folks once they do get here. We need to fix both those things. We need a good, robust, and legal immigration system to bring in the number of immigrants we do need - right now we don't have that.
I agree.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Agreed as well. Saw Marco Rubio speak about this subject at length at a conference in San Antonio several years ago. He had a terrific, well thought out, comprehensive plan for finally solving the entire issue, from soup to nuts. Of course, no one in politics wants to hear it because the LAST thing they want to do is solve a problem that brings out the mouth-breather one-issue voters. And that goes for both sides of the aisle.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So?, The majority don’t show up for their asylum hearings and are ordered deported in abscentia. And for those who do show and are denied, they then get a deportion hearing, which few show up for, and again are ordered deported in absentia. And most will never encounter ICE again; much less be deported. And for those few who do encounter immigration authorities years/decades down the road, you have bleeding hearts saying you can’t deport someone who’s been bere for years/decades because they’ve become established bere, kids were born here, etc, etc, despite the fact that they entered illegally, remained illegally, worked illegally, often with stolen ID, and ignored orders of deportation years/decades prior.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:40 am

So?, The majority don’t show up for their asylum hearings and are ordered deported in abscentia. And for those who do show and are denied, they then get a deportion hearing, which few show up for, and again are ordered deported in absentia. And most will never encounter ICE again; much less be deported. And for those few who do encounter immigration authorities years/decades down the road, you have bleeding hearts saying you can’t deport someone who’s been bere for years/decades because they’ve become established bere, kids were born here, etc, etc, despite the fact that they entered illegally, remained illegally, worked illegally, often with stolen ID, and ignored orders of deportation years/decades prior.
I was just stating facts. I’m sorry it bothered you.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:40 am
I was just stating facts. I’m sorry it bothered you.
I believe BDK’s comments were facts as well. He’s sorry that HIS statement of facts bothered YOU.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The vast majority of these people don't have any real case for asylum, and I'm pretty sure you know that. Like that one migrant who was quoted as saying, "everybody knows the border is open".
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

They're my grandparents :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:26 pm

You're full of shit as a Christmas turkey, per usual - this is orchard and pasture country. Ten miles from here the town of Cobden came back from the dead thanks to Mexican labor, not to mention the food is at least as good as where you are. I'll trade Mexicans for Magacunts 1 for 1 every day all day. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Of course the add-on question is how many return for their day in court,
and what happens to the ones who are not granted asylum or do not return for their day in court?

...and whose responsibility is it to make sure they get there? The people that Shanghaied them?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Of course the add-on question is how many return for their day in court,
and what happens to the ones who are not granted asylum or do not return for their day in court?

...and whose responsibility is it to make sure they get there? The people that Shanghaied them?
Do you mean the US government? While the antics of DeSantis and Abbott have made the headlines, the vast majority of asylum seekers who get shipped all over the US are done by the federal government. Yes, I think it should be the federal government's responsibility to make sure these folks attend their legal proceedings to determine if their asylum is accepted.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Do you mean the US government? While the antics of DeSantis and Abbott have made the headlines, the vast majority of asylum seekers who get shipped all over the US are done by the federal government. Yes, I think it should be the federal government's responsibility to make sure these folks attend their legal proceedings to determine if their asylum is accepted.
I agree, and de Santis should pay for the trips of those he had transported. So simple even BD could understand it if he wanted to :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:11 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:26 pm

You're full of shit as a Christmas turkey, per usual - this is orchard and pasture country. Ten miles from here the town of Cobden came back from the dead thanks to Mexican labor, not to mention the food is at least as good as where you are. I'll trade Mexicans for Magacunts 1 for 1 every day all day. :nod:
Well that’s what Abbott is doing. Glad you support it. :nod: :coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:55 pm Illegal immigrants who entered US since Biden took office to cost taxpayers $20+ billion a year: analysis

The study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which advocates for lower levels of immigration overall, calculates that the illegal immigrants who have entered the U.S. since Jan. 2021 will add an extra $20.4 billion burden a year, in addition to the $140 billion existing illegal immigrants already cost.

The analysis is based on an estimated 1.3 million released into the U.S. by immigration officials, as well as approximately one million "gotaways" -- or illegal immigrants who have slipped past overwhelmed agents. FAIR calculates that each illegal immigrants costs $9,232 a year to support.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illega ... r-analysis
:lol:

https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article- ... ogin=false

Most economic theories tell you immigration economically benefits society. It doesn't really matter if it's legal, but the gains over time are always positive. While a small number drain the system, as in most mixed economies, the vast majority will be contributors.

But I know you don't read books, or know history, or live in reality, so I guess it doesn't matter I even reply to you.

Anyways, I'd rather have an illegal immigrant in the US than BDK. At least they contribute to the economy because there's no chance someone who lives on the internet as much as BDK has a job that benefits America.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:27 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:55 pm Illegal immigrants who entered US since Biden took office to cost taxpayers $20+ billion a year: analysis

The study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which advocates for lower levels of immigration overall, calculates that the illegal immigrants who have entered the U.S. since Jan. 2021 will add an extra $20.4 billion burden a year, in addition to the $140 billion existing illegal immigrants already cost.

The analysis is based on an estimated 1.3 million released into the U.S. by immigration officials, as well as approximately one million "gotaways" -- or illegal immigrants who have slipped past overwhelmed agents. FAIR calculates that each illegal immigrants costs $9,232 a year to support.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illega ... r-analysis
:lol:

https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article- ... ogin=false

Most economic theories tell you immigration economically benefits society. It doesn't really matter if it's legal, but the gains over time are always positive. While a small number drain the system, as in most mixed economies, the vast majority will be contributors.

But I know you don't read books - or live in reality - so I guess doesn't matter I even reply to you.

Anyways, I'd rather have an illegal immigrant in the US than BDK. At least they contribute to the real economy because no way does someone who posts on the internet all day, everyday have a real job.
:lol: Let me stop you right there bro. Most economic theories. Real life is far different than theory. Look no further than Krugman in regards to economists.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with immigrants, let's just fix the system so they can get registered to be a legal part of America.

How many illegals were fucked over by the vaccine Karen's during the pandemic? Yeah, libs sure shit on the immigrant population hard, and they had no recourse. Let's fix that.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I've had a few posts before (not in this thread) outlining that we should register them.

I'm for an open border*, but that's because it incentivizes people who show up to register with the government. It's already a long journey and they're committed; they're not coming here and saying "oh the border is closed, oh there's a fence...I guess I need to turn around."

An open border takes away the incentive to cross illegally and gives us a better chance to register, track, and deport people when necessary. It's also safer for our citizens, for the migrants, and allows governments to keep track of their economic contributions (aka. collect taxes).

An EU-style agreement would be even better between the Americas, but that's for a different topic. Either way, de-humanizing and hunting people down like animals never solves anything. Giving them autonomy and freedom makes it easier for everyone involved.

*an open border doesn't mean there's no security, anyone can walk in, etc. It just means that if you show up at the border, the nation you came from is informed, a background check is done, and you're registered and allowed in (or disallowed in some cases).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:53 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 pm

I agree, and de Santis should pay for the trips of those he had transported. So simple even BD could understand it if he wanted to :coffee:
You know the FL legislature did allocate funds to do just that, right? Ironically enough some of the FL Donks complaining about what DeSantis did even voted for the funding. Go figure. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:53 pm I've had a few posts before (not in this thread) outlining that we should register them.

I'm for an open border*, but that's because it incentivizes people who show up to register with the government. It's already a long journey and they're committed; they're not coming here and saying "oh the border is closed, oh there's a fence...I guess I need to turn around."

An open border takes away the incentive to cross illegally and gives us a better chance to register, track, and deport people when necessary. It's also safer for our citizens, for the migrants, and allows governments to keep track of their economic contributions (aka. collect taxes).

An EU-style agreement would be even better between the Americas, but that's for a different topic. Either way, de-humanizing and hunting people down like animals never solves anything. Giving them autonomy and freedom makes it easier for everyone involved.

*an open border doesn't mean there's no security, anyone can walk in, etc. It just means that if you show up at the border, the nation you came from is informed, a background check is done, and you're registered and allowed in (or disallowed in some cases).
And which demographic is hit the hardest by surges in (illegal) immigration?

Donk irony at its finest.