bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Re: How much will the Fed raise rates?

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:56 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:36 am Another 75 bps tomorrow?
Yep. But should be at leaat 100 bps though. Every raise they have dine so far has been fae too little. Interest rates should be in tbe same ballpark as inflation, and right now they are still low at 2.25-2.5%, compared to 8.3% inflation.
Agreed. They are chasing it but need to get ahead of it
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

bobbythekidd wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:10 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:56 pm
Yep. But should be at leaat 100 bps though. Every raise they have dine so far has been fae too little. Interest rates should be in tbe same ballpark as inflation, and right now they are still low at 2.25-2.5%, compared to 8.3% inflation.
Well the Fed may be trying to tame inflation, but the administration is doing everything in its power to pour gasoline on the fire. It’s no wonder 225 basis points of increase in six months has barely put a dent in it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:25 pm
bobbythekidd wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:10 pm

Well the Fed may be trying to tame inflation, but the administration is doing everything in its power to pour gasoline on the fire. It’s no wonder 225 basis points of increase in six months has barely put a dent in it.
Well, there is the chance that the feeling with Dems is that we're in a massive economic hole anyway, how much worse can we make it by piling on stuff that normally we couldn't pass and actually stands in the way of getting our financial house in order? I mean, if it's going to be bad, how much does it matter if it's a little worse? That whole idea of always taking advantage of a crisis. Of course, there's also still the more disturbing idea of the left's recent economic train of thought that government spending can be infinite because you can always just print more money to pay for it. It doesn't make any economic sense, but apparently it has a wide audience. This will certainly be a bumpy next 12 months. It may not look like 2008 but not every recession looks like 2008.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 am

Yup. Inflation is still crazy high, and that's even with energy slightly pulling back (and even that is high versus last year). Again, problem with letting inflation get out of the barn, it's really difficult to rein back in. It's going to get worse before it gets better, and we're still a year or two away from getting this back in the barn, hopefully.
This recession that we're not in, and this inflation that is transitory and nonexistent are gonna suck for the next 12-18 months.
The Inflation Reduction Act has yet to hit the books, right? Shit gonna get wild out there. :popcorn:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:25 pm

Well, there is the chance that the feeling with Dems is that we're in a massive economic hole anyway, how much worse can we make it by piling on stuff that normally we couldn't pass and actually stands in the way of getting our financial house in order? I mean, if it's going to be bad, how much does it matter if it's a little worse? That whole idea of always taking advantage of a crisis. Of course, there's also still the more disturbing idea of the left's recent economic train of thought that government spending can be infinite because you can always just print more money to pay for it. It doesn't make any economic sense, but apparently it has a wide audience. This will certainly be a bumpy next 12 months. It may not look like 2008 but not every recession looks like 2008.
You’re giving them entirely too much credit here. I firmly believe they truly do NOT understand what causes inflation, and JSO’s ignorance on this topic is exhibit A. From the president on down they have proven they don’t know what a recession is, what inflation is, and how either are caused.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:06 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm

You’re giving them entirely too much credit here. I firmly believe they truly do NOT understand what causes inflation, and JSO’s ignorance on this topic is exhibit A. From the president on down they have proven they don’t know what a recession is, what inflation is, and how either are caused.
Well, you may be correct there. There is an amazingly insufficient amount of simple economic understanding out there, and if JSO is any example of this from Dems on the left then it's certainly true. Just ignoring the tremendous impact of money supply on inflation is a shocking revelation of economic incompetence. Like I said though, I think many Dems in power right now have deluded themselves by the new school of economic thought that incorrectly divorces government spending from the money supply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:38 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:06 pm
Well, you may be correct there. There is an amazingly insufficient amount of simple economic understanding out there, and if JSO is any example of this from Dems on the left then it's certainly true. Just ignoring the tremendous impact of money supply on inflation is a shocking revelation of economic incompetence. Like I said though, I think many Dems in power right now have deluded themselves by the new school of economic thought that incorrectly divorces government spending from the money supply.
I think there is also some arrogance/overconfidence in the power of government. They seem to believe that the economy should respond as the government directs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

And 75 bps it is.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:38 pm

I think there is also some arrogance/overconfidence in the power of government. They seem to believe that the economy should respond as the government directs.
Exactly. They seem to think they can just "wish" something to be so. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:28 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Exactly. They seem to think they can just "wish" something to be so. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Who’s this they we’re talking about here?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Probably at least the current administration at a minimum. I'm sure you can through a few folks from Congress in there as well. Economy's doing great, maybe the best of all time, according to those sources. I don't necessarily agree.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:43 pm

The government.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

And another 75 bps today, the 6th straight raise, and 4th straight of 75 bps. Too little, too late..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:16 pm And another 75 bps today, the 6th straight raise, and 4th straight of 75 bps. Too little, too late..
Well, they have to correct it now. Once inflation gets away you still have to do something about it. Obviously would've been better not to be in this predicament but can't change history now.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Fed putting the screws to England.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, before this banking crisis there was talk of the fed doing a 50 bps raise at todays meeting due to inflation remining stubbornly high. The banking crisis I think has eliminated any possibility of that, and in the last week there has been talk of the Fed doing no raise at all. Still think they do same as Jan- raise 25 bps. The fed rate (4.5-4.75%) isn’t anywhere near high enough yet to get a handle on the inflation and to get it anywhere close to the 2% target. Do think we’re done with the 50-75 bps rate hikes that wwe saw middle to late 2022..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Another 25 BPS it is.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Another 25 BPS today..

Funds rate now at 5-5.25%.