Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Common Sense Gun Control

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am

So let's embrace the kiss of debt and just print "the money to really secure the schools."
Or, how about this. We rack and stack all federal expenditures. We rank order them from 1 to n. We then look at how much income we have. We then add school security near the top of that 1 to n ranking.

Are you with me?

We take the amount of income that we have, compare it to the 1 to n ranking list, THEN WACK OFF ANYTHING that falls below the amount of income we have.

No more printing needed.
Yep. That is a simple solution.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:33 pm
kalm wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:35 am

So everyone who is not a member of an organized militia needs to turn in their guns…immediately!
Wrong. Well reguated 18th century means proficiency in arms.
So a militia that’s proficient in arms? Neat.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:57 am
Nope. It is dead, dead, dead.
So everyone who is not a member of an organized militia needs to turn in their guns…immediately!
There’s always an “except”, and you might have just missed it…it’s Federal Law (10 U.S. Code § 246)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

And the key, as you will discover, is section (b)(2), under the heading of Classes of the militia:
the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:56 pm

There’s always an “except”, and you might have just missed it…it’s Federal Law (10 U.S. Code § 246)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246

And the key, as you will discover, is section (b)(2), under the heading of Classes of the militia:
the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
Ok fine. Well we need to update then… :)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Good for him. Kaepernick 2.0 in a way.

The manager of the San Francisco Giants says he will not take the field for the pregame national anthem following the Texas school shooting.

"I don't plan on coming out for the anthem going forward until I feel better about the direction of our country."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/san ... &fs=e&s=cl
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 am Good for him. Kaepernick 2.0 in a way.

The manager of the San Francisco Giants says he will not take the field for the pregame national anthem following the Texas school shooting.

"I don't plan on coming out for the anthem going forward until I feel better about the direction of our country."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/san ... &fs=e&s=cl
Good for him. Wish they’d eliminate the NA altogether from sporting events.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Not the same thing. Do better.
No, it is. A life is a life.
One is innocent, the other committed (assuming there is rock solid evidence upon conviction) heinous crimes. Do better.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Can't, Ukraine needs it.
When the Straw Man doesn't work, segue over to the false dichotomy....nice :thumb:
I learned that from you. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:18 pm
kalm wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm

We have given UKR, what…about 10% of our ANNUAL defense budget?

We fund local LE to the teeth with guns, tactical teams, and 10 gallon hats so that they are checked by one guy with an AR15 while moms are rushing in ahead of them to rescue her kids.

Does this have something to do with why there are no slogans of ACAB and “fuck the police” regarding paramedics and firefighters?

Just curious… :|
I’m not going to sit here and say that the police didn’t fuck up majorly in this particular instance. MAJORLY. Standing around for an hour with an armed gunman in the school, and then arresting parents who tried to actually do something? NOT a good look. And I am NOT a fan of arming teachers (but I AM a fan of giving them the option if so desired). But it wouldn’t cost that much to deploy the following multi-layer security strategy (maybe the cost of 1 administrator salary per year):

Fence every school property - and not with useless chain link (like they are here in San Antonio), but with something substantial (8-10 feet with barbed wire/razor wire on top) that would stop/deter/slow down/prevent entry of undesirables
Lock down during school day - closed campus strategy, which has been employed by many school districts for years
Restrict/funnel entry to a single control point (with metal detectors) to prevent wanderers from gaining access
Require buzzing in visitors through gate after presentation of proper ID
Armed SRO’s on site during school hours manning the point of entry/security cameras & a roaming guard (probably the most expensive part of any long-term solution)
Centralized Artificial Intelligence/security camera system to show restricted view areas
Classroom doors that are fire rated and that automatically lock from inside when shut
Exterior doors retrofit with automatic locking mechanism and only openable from inside when threat detected (some kind of lockdown capability from remote points)
Barricade bars/door wedges provided in every classroom to help prevent undesired entry should someone breach the other layers of security

I know the standard lib argument: WE DON’T WANT TO TURN THEM INTO PRISONS!! Well, that’s just a retarded argument. We already have a NUMBER of things we do around schools to ensure safety and security — special speed limits (usually with zero tolerance from the cops frequently onsite), cops directing morning and afternoon traffic, crossing guards, SRO’s, etc., etc. The money we just sent to Ukraine could have sent $400,000 to every school in America. That pays for a SHITLOAD of more security. We CHOOSE to secure our banks, jewelry stores, sporting events, music events, politicians, celebrities, etc., etc….When was the last sporting event or concert you went to where you didn’t have to empty your pockets and go through a metal detector? NOT securing our schools is a choice.

It’s just not rocket science. Hell, fund this with the money taken from police forces, I don’t give a shit. They’re obviously not interested in risking their lives, given that they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t. And every single one of these would be more effective than another useless “common sense gun control” law that won’t stop a thing. So again, ask yourselves WHY don’t they do these things?
Spoiler: show
VOTES
Solid post. The "securing schools" problem is a straightforward common sense one. The gubmint spends lots of money on stupid shit, take the money from that stupid shit and allocate it to this.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am

So let's embrace the kiss of debt and just print "the money to really secure the schools."
Or, how about this. We rack and stack all federal expenditures. We rank order them from 1 to n. We then look at how much income we have. We then add school security near the top of that 1 to n ranking.

Are you with me?

We take the amount of income that we have, compare it to the 1 to n ranking list, THEN WACK OFF ANYTHING that falls below the amount of income we have.

No more printing needed.
....deficits don't matter. Dick Cheney(R)
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 am

When the Straw Man doesn't work, segue over to the false dichotomy....nice :thumb:
I learned that from you. :thumb:
You have surpassed you teacher, grasshopper....may the horse be with you
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Baldy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:45 am

No, it is. A life is a life.
Then a gun is just a gun...
and a political system is just a political system
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:54 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Is it an infringement to limit the definition of "arms"?

If semi-automatics are ok, why not full automatics? If full automatics are ok, why not bazookas, RPGs, etc.? If you can draw a line, where should it be drawn and how do you justify it?
Still waiting for an answer on whether it's an infringement to limit what kinds of "Arms" people can keep and bear?
Where does "infringement" stop and "give the kids a sporting chance like any other game animal" begin?

Thats the beauty of my proposal - if the shooter has to reload every five rounds some of the kids that survive the opening salvo will have a sporting chance to make a break for it - they're small, they're quick, and it isn't easy to hit a moving target... every room should have two exits as this will cause confusion for the shooter as he sees targets leaving through two doors and knows he can't get them all. One exit just allows the shooter to take his time and be thorough - and where, I ask you, is the sport in that?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:02 am

Still waiting for an answer on whether it's an infringement to limit what kinds of "Arms" people can keep and bear?
Where does "infringement" stop and "give the kids a sporting chance like any other game animal" begin?

Thats the beauty of my proposal - if the shooter has to reload every five rounds some of the kids that survive the opening salvo will have a sporting chance to make a break for it - they're small, they're quick, and it isn't easy to hit a moving target... every room should have two exits as this will cause confusion for the shooter as he sees targets leaving through two doors and knows he can't get them all. One exit just allows the shooter to take his time and be thorough - and where, I ask you, is the sport in that?
He did buy multiple guns. Spend some money, and protect the kids. Classroom = saferoom.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 am

He did buy multiple guns. Spend some money, and protect the kids. Classroom = saferoom.
The irony is the unabridged freedom to own any weaponry you want comes at the expense of a freer and more open society including the idea of turning classrooms into safe rooms.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Densedawg along with the rest of the lefttards continue to focus on the guns. Well, 70s and prior most people bought guns without background checks. Until the 90s, in most rural areas of the country, kids drive to schools with rifles & shotguns in their vehicles, parked in school parking lots, to go hunting afterwards. AZ talked about this earlier. Yet before Columbine, we didn’t have these mass school shootings. So guns clearly aren’t the issue. So something has changed with kids in tbe last 25 years or so. What is it?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 am Densedawg along with the rest of the lefttards continue to focus on the guns. Well, 70s and prior most people bought guns without background checks. Until the 90s, in most rural areas of the country, kids drive to schools with rifles & shotguns in their vehicles, parked in school parking lots, to go hunting afterwards. AZ talked about this earlier. Yet before Columbine, we didn’t have these mass school shootings. So guns clearly aren’t the issue. So something has changed with kids in tbe last 25 years or so. What is it?
I was one of those kids. Loads of answers to that question. Things change.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 am Densedawg along with the rest of the lefttards continue to focus on the guns. Well, 70s and prior most people bought guns without background checks. Until the 90s, in most rural areas of the country, kids drive to schools with rifles & shotguns in their vehicles, parked in school parking lots, to go hunting afterwards. AZ talked about this earlier. Yet before Columbine, we didn’t have these mass school shootings. So guns clearly aren’t the issue. So something has changed with kids in tbe last 25 years or so. What is it?
Please, do expound on your “Things change,”
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:16 am
kalm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 am

Please, do expound on your “Things change,”
Change is an inevitability of our known universe. It certainly applies to culture. Sometimes it’s positive, sometimes it’s regressive. Not all change is for good. But good is also subjective.

I would love to go back to more innocent times (kids taking their shotguns and rifles in their truck for some after school hunting) . Embracing that it’s not currently possible or never may be again is helpful in dealing with the ever-changing world around me.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 am The death toll in these shootings can be reduced by ordering the BATF to put semi-auto weapons with removable magazines into the same category as machine guns - the owner must be bonded, insured, pass a proctological background check, and cough up for the permit. Mandatory 15 years if you're caught without.

And how about some recognition for the brave chidren out there who lay down their lives on a daily basis to protect second amendment rights of those unfit for militia service?
Nice single variable analysis. The go-to model for dumb people.

We wouldn't expect anything less from bidendawg.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

You must have failed firearms training int he military….then again, it was the army so I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

Give me 20 5-round mags and I can unload them all in about 100 seconds—with a high degree of accuracy. Might be a little harder to carry that many mags, but at the end of the day any proficient shooter can put 10 rounds down range within a margin of error using 2 5-round mags in under 10 seconds.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:21 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 am

The irony is the unabridged freedom to own any weaponry you want comes at the expense of a freer and more open society including the idea of turning classrooms into safe rooms.
Pilots cabins are now saferooms.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:30 pm
kalm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:21 am

Yes they are. And with metal detectors and a whole transportation security apparatus behind them. Should we found the ESA (Education Security Administration). Or enshrine the teachers in safe rooms to teach from?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:30 pm

Yes they are. And with metal detectors and a whole transportation security apparatus behind them. Should we found the ESA (Education Security Administration). Or enshrine the teachers in safe rooms to teach from?
We already have a Dept of Education. Howsabout they make themselves useful for a change? Because right now they’re just a black hole that we pour money into.