UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Common Sense Gun Control

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:31 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:38 am
So we need to get rid of the military and return to volunteer militias?

That's my interesting take on your interesting take ... :coffee:
No…that ended with the war of 1812. A standing federal army is necessary. But not against its own people.
And how did we get a standing army if it wasn't allowed?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:31 am

No…that ended with the war of 1812. A standing federal army is necessary. But not against its own people.
It was allowed under the constitution, but also feared. Hence the appropriations rule.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:17 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am
It was allowed under the constitution, but also feared. Hence the appropriations rule.
And the Constitution was amended as early as 1795, just over 3 years after the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, was added. Why didn't the Founders (or others in the years since) update the 2nd Amendment to reflect this at that time?

The 2nd Amendment might not have been meant to be interpreted exactly the way gun rights advocates are interpreting it but it's equally plausible that it wasn't meant to be interpreted the way that anti-gun advocates are interpreting it.

Do we need to do something? Yes. Are we realistically going to change the way the 2nd Amendment is being interpreted and applied to limit gun rights? No. So why are liberals focusing on that rather than looking for solutions that can actually be implemented? Do they want to solve the problem and save lives? Or do they want to use the issue to rile up their base, raise funds and get votes?

Similar questions can be asked of conservatives. Neither side really gives two sh!ts about the lives, it's about money, votes and ultimately power.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:10 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:17 am

And the Constitution was amended as early as 1795, just over 3 years after the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, was added. Why didn't the Founders (or others in the years since) update the 2nd Amendment to reflect this at that time?

The 2nd Amendment might not have been meant to be interpreted exactly the way gun rights advocates are interpreting it but it's equally plausible that it wasn't meant to be interpreted the way that anti-gun advocates are interpreting it.

Do we need to do something? Yes. Are we realistically going to change the way the 2nd Amendment is being interpreted and applied to limit gun rights? No. So why are liberals focusing on that rather than looking for solutions that can actually be implemented? Do they want to solve the problem and save lives? Or do they want to use the issue to rile up their base, raise funds and get votes?

Similar questions can be asked of conservatives. Neither side really gives two sh!ts about the lives, it's about money, votes and ultimately power.
If they cared about lives, they'd be picketing in front of Cheesecake Factory or a Toyota dealership. 700,000 Americans died of heart disease last year, and 46,000 were killed by a car. 20,000 were murdered by a gun.

If you want to save the fucking children, introduce them to oatmeal, salads, lean meat, and bicycles.

Priorities, motherfuckers.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

There are data on the following things at Worldpopulationreview.com:

Homicide rates by jurisdiction (mostly countries): https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country
Gun ownership rate by country: https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country
Development level by country: https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... -countries
Freedom level by country: https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

I ran some correlations and got this:

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:10 pm

If they cared about lives, they'd be picketing in front of Cheesecake Factory or a Toyota dealership. 700,000 Americans died of heart disease last year, and 46,000 were killed by a car. 20,000 were murdered by a gun.

If you want to save the fucking children, introduce them to oatmeal, salads, lean meat, and bicycles.

And cut out the damn gluten!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:40 pm
93henfan wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 pm

And cut out the damn gluten!
Yes! Gluttony is bullshit!!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:10 pm And the Constitution was amended as early as 1795, just over 3 years after the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, was added. Why didn't the Founders (or others in the years since) update the 2nd Amendment to reflect this at that time?

Would Republican priorities shift if nutjobs started targeting evangelical churches instead of schools?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:27 pm
93henfan wrote:

Would Republican priorities shift if nutjobs started targeting evangelical churches instead of schools?

Or synagogues.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:28 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:27 pm Would Republican priorities shift if nutjobs started targeting evangelical churches instead of schools?

Or synagogues.
I am sure you both are aware of the shootings that have happened over the last few years at both places. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:47 am

Or synagogues.
I am sure you both are aware of the shootings that have happened over the last few years at both places. :coffee:
So the answer is no?

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:00 am

So the answer is no?
The answer is that they are consistent.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:57 am
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:00 am

So the answer is no?
So are hobgoblins.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:57 am

So are hobgoblins.
And hobbits. Just look at their meal plan!

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Second Breakfast - 9 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:16 am
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am

So are hobgoblins.

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.
That’s actually a solid plan depending on the portions. Better for energy and digestion than 3 squares IMO.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Or synagogues.
Wait, nutjobs have been shooting people at churches and synagogues? Where is the liberal outcry to protect the peaceful worshippers? They claim that conservatives only care about life up to birth but aren't they showing that they don't care about older, typically white Christians and Jews? How do they justify their hypocrisy?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:36 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:16 am

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.
That’s actually a solid plan depending on the portions. Better for energy and digestion than 3 squares IMO.
Agree. I try to follow some of it but struggle with portions and timing. I feel better when I do though.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 am

Wait, nutjobs have been shooting people at churches and synagogues? Where is the liberal outcry to protect the peaceful worshippers? They claim that conservatives only care about life up to birth but aren't they showing that they don't care about older, typically white Christians and Jews? How do they justify their hypocrisy?
Unfortunately nutjobs are everywhere and come in all colors and creeds.

And there is enough hypocrisy to spread around from all parties that we could build a bridge to the moon and back with it.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:22 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 am

And there is enough hypocrisy to spread around from all parties that we could build a bridge to the moon and back with it.
You’re the inventor-engineer type. Get cracking’!
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:25 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:22 am

You’re the inventor-engineer type. Get cracking’!
I am working on a different idea that would make bridges obsolete. :D

Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 am
Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:51 am

But that's a straw man argument, IMO. Your position is basically, we are stuck with an 18th Century law so deal with it. The right to own a firearm isn't above another's right to live.
The right to own a firearm is absolutely above another one's right to live.

My firearm will never kill anyone unless they are projecting evil on me or my family. It's not the gun and if you don't like it get armed and quit being a victim
Bobcat
Level1
Level1

Post by Bobcat »

houndawg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:00 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 pm

Why did obamacare mess up a lot of healthcare programs. It could have been written to help the people that needed help.

Conks shit on any idea that gives the government more control and tax avenues. How about any new gun owner needs to be trained and maybe sponsored by the trainer when purchasing a gun.
And maybe not having access to rapid-fire high-capacity semi-auto weapons. Man up and join up if you want to play Army with the real thing.
Better yet take the "weapons of war" from the government and lead by example. Then maybe we can have a discussion about it, until them I'm cool with the way it is now.
Bobcat
Level1
Level1

Post by Bobcat »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 pm
Absolutely and that's why it's not even open for discussion
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Bobcat wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 am The right to own a firearm is absolutely above another one's right to live.

My firearm will never kill anyone unless they are projecting evil on me or my family. It's not the gun and if you don't like it get armed and quit being a victim
Sorry. Nothing is greater than the right to live. You’re telling me an inanimate object has more rights and deserves more protection than a human life. That doesn’t sound very pro-life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Bobcat
Level1
Level1

Post by Bobcat »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:02 pm
Bobcat wrote: Sorry. Nothing is greater than the right to live. You’re telling me an inanimate object has more rights and deserves more protection than a human life. That doesn’t sound very pro-life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My right to live is protected by my gun of choice. I won't be a victim neither will my family. The good news is we avoid places that have high probabilitys of violence like schools, hospitals and malls. Soft targets kill.