Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Uvalde School Shooting

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:32 pm Some more non-JSOesque pointers:

In your house: handgun (I like 9mm) with a light and/or 12 gauge pump loaded with at least five rounds 00 shot and a light
In you car/on your person: handgun with a light (mine also has green laser integrated)
50-300 yards: AR/AK; caveat: if you live in an area with big game, an elephant/bear piece on your hip
300+ yards: precision rifle chambered in a sniper caliber (mine is 6.5 creedmoor, but there are many great options like .300winmag, .338 lapua mag, etc)
Wolverines: .50 bmg (I don't own one, because I don't like the idea of burning $3 on each trigger pull)

Also, spending more on optics than the gun is never a bad idea. Know them, dial them in, and stay sharp with them periodically. Go for quality glass that doesn't require batteries.
A couple of wise posters recommended the following:
93henfan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:59 pm CID and I frequently disagree, but we both agree on the S&W 642 and the Remington 870. Two foolproof choices in their respective categories.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:52 pm
93henfan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:59 pm CID and I frequently disagree, but we both agree on the S&W 642 and the Remington 870. Two foolproof choices in their respective categories.
I pocket my S&W 642 frequently for quick stops in daylight. I call it my Wawa piece. The only minor qualm I have with it is capacity. Reliability is a huge plus.

The 870 sits right next to my bed. The Glock 19 w/ light and laser, loaded with one in the pipe and a spare loaded mag, sits in my one-gun nightstand safe.
Last edited by 93henfan on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:15 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:41 pm I’m not a huge gun or a ballistics guy, but this is as best as I understand it with a JSOesque response...
To give a non-JSOesque response...

I am an AR/AK guy all day, but make no mistake: the .223/5.56 round is far, far more devastating to a human body than a 9mm parabellum or .45acp pistol round, even if they're fired from a carbine chambered for those pistol-designed rounds. The expansion cavity in ballistic gel from .223 is massive and the round fragments and tumbles by design, creating almost always fatal impacts to the torso. A handgun round, if it doesn't pierce a vital organ, leaves a significant chance of recovery if blood loss is stopped soon enough. Level 1 trauma centers are experts in handgun round treatment. Hollow point handgun rounds are worse, due to their expansion. FMJ usually stays intact and even has a good chance of passing through the body completely. But again, the .223 leaves a massive channel and fragments, while the handgun round will leave a more focused path. The .223 round is also traveling at least twice as fast (closer to three times most likely).
Agreed. I was just saying the .223/5.56 wasn’t that powerful as far as rifle rounds go.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Btw, my favorite rifle to shoot is my .17hmr. I have it in a beautiful, comfortable, and rock solid custom Boyds stock, Harris bipod, heavy barrel, and a (against my previous advice) cheap little scope. That thing will fuck up my most common nuisance here, the two or three new red foxes who try (and fail) to recover their ancestral lands from me each year. I'd leave them alone, if not for the chicken and rabbit carcasses they invariably leave in my yard.

That rifle is relatively noise and recoil free, but snappy as hell, and cheap to shoot. It'll turn a small varmint's head into red mist like a champ.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:10 pm Btw, my favorite rifle to shoot is my .17hmr. I have it in a beautiful, comfortable, and rock solid custom Boyds stock, Harris bipod, heavy barrel, and a (against my previous advice) cheap little scope. That thing will fuck up my most common nuisance here, the two or three new red foxes who try (and fail) to recover their ancestral lands from me each year. I'd leave them alone, if not for the chicken and rabbit carcasses they invariably leave in my yard.

That rifle is relatively noise and recoil free, but snappy as hell, and cheap to shoot. It'll turn a small varmint's head into red mist like a champ.
These are fun af, my neighbor has one. I have an 870 for the bobcats, coyotes, et al.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:10 pm Btw, my favorite rifle to shoot is my .17hmr. I have it in a beautiful, comfortable, and rock solid custom Boyds stock, Harris bipod, heavy barrel, and a (against my previous advice) cheap little scope. That thing will fuck up my most common nuisance here, the two or three new red foxes who try (and fail) to recover their ancestral lands from me each year. I'd leave them alone, if not for the chicken and rabbit carcasses they invariably leave in my yard.

So I had to look that one up and see that it’s a rim fire rifle. I was recently gifted a .17 Wildcat that is a center fire rifle from my FIL, and I mistakenly bought two boxes of rimfire .17 hmr ammo. It’s yours if you PM me your address…turns out Bass Pro Shops won’t do returns or exchanges on ammo. :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:52 pm
I pocket my S&W 642 frequently for quick stops in daylight. I call it my Wawa piece. The only minor qualm I have with it is capacity. Reliability is a huge plus.

The 870 sits right next to my bed. The Glock 19 w/ light and laser, loaded with one in the pipe and a spare loaded mag, sits in my one-gun nightstand safe.
Stay safe...hope things get better in the hood; pretty damn sad when you have to live like that.... :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

It's not sad it's common sense
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:00 pm

Stay safe...hope things get better in the hood; pretty damn sad when you have to live like that.... :ohno:
Comnsequence of living or working near democrat run shitholes..
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

They are a fun varmint rifle. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm

It’s actually the consequences of really powerful drugs, namely meth and opiates. It was crack 30-35 years ago, but I think that’s tapered off for the most part. We’re rural and opportunity-limited in Slower DE, and when the blue collar jobs all went overseas under Carter and Reagan and the $5 high came in, entire small towns around here zombified. Petty theft and robberies went way up, which is why I carry. I refuse to be a victim, ever.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

..by choice
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:17 pm
It’s actually the consequences of really powerful drugs, namely meth and opiates. It was crack 30-35 years ago, but I think that’s tapered off for the most part. We’re rural and opportunity-limited in Slower DE, and when the blue collar jobs all went overseas under Carter and Reagan and the $5 high came in, entire small towns around here zombified. Petty theft and robberies went way up, which is why I carry. I refuse to be a victim, ever.
If somebody wants you, you're a sitting duck. Like everybody else. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 am
..by choice
Same reason he carries. By choice.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:22 am

..by choice
Same reason he carries. By choice.
he carries because he's afraid he can't tcb without one, like the vast majority of non-LEOs - and in his neighborhood he might be right. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Consequence of living or working near democrat run shitholes..
..by choice
Not everyone can live in lily white Illitucky.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm

..by choice
Not everyone can live in lily white Illitucky.
Sure they can, the State is actually very affordable outside of Chicagoland.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm Not everyone can live in lily white Illitucky.
Sure they can, the State is actually very affordable outside of Chicagoland, you can marry a cousin and you can make a good living producing meth.
So it's kind of like Alabama except in Alabama you can only marry your cousin if they're the opposite biological gender.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:12 pm
houndawg wrote:
Sure they can, the State is actually very affordable outside of Chicagoland, you can marry a cousin and you can make a good living producing meth.
So it's kind of like Iowa except in Iowa you can divorce your wife and she's still your sister.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yes, and unlike Iowa most of the women can fit in the front of your pickup :thumb:
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

The police chief resigned from the city council. Why he hasn't done the same with the police department is infuriating the locals.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

bobbythekidd wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:19 am The police chief resigned from the city council. Why he hasn't done the same with the police department is infuriating the locals.
He needs the union to pay for his defense :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Video released. What a cluster fuck.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 370384007/
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:14 pm Video released. What a cluster fuck.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 370384007/
"My hands are clean but I want to make them even more clean. I'd hate to catch COVID." -That one guy that applied hand sanitizer while children were being murdered in the next room

Funny this being on the politics board but all parties on here agree on this topic. That tells you how bad this is
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Last 3 mass shootings:
-Buffalo: Multiple warnings signs that should have triggered NY red flag laws but didn't due to incompetent state govt bureaucracy.
-Uvalde: Incompetent local law enforcement, starting with before the shooter even entered the school (officer had the shooter in his sites from 140+ yds but didn't shoot).
-Highland Park: Multiple warnings signs that should have triggered IL red flag laws but didn't due to incompetent state govt bureaucracy. Police called multiple times to house, he threatened to kill his family, police confiscated knives/sword/machete, but still didn't trigger IL red flag laws and was allowed to purchase firearms.

We don't need more gun control laws. We just need to get incompetence out of some local law enforcement, and get incompetent bureaucracy out of govt.