Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:41 pm

So infringing upon the right to assemble to prevent attempts to influence judges would be kind of like infringing upon the right to bear arms to limit assault weapons?
If you’re a “strict constructionist” I would think so.
I never heard a strict constructionist be against permits being required for assemblies.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:11 am

I never heard a strict constructionist be against permits being required for assemblies.
Probably.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:11 am
Good point. And does the right to assembly include the right to assemble in whatever public space you want?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

The Constitution doesn't say. So, you can't interpret it to add any qualifications that aren't present in the text. Right? :coffee:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:15 am The Constitution doesn't say. So, you can't interpret it to add any qualifications that aren't present in the text. Right? :coffee:
I assume you're being glib. Outside of maybe Clarence Thomas, I can't think of any SCOTUS judge ever who would even come in the remote vicinity of the purposefully over-simple interpretation of "contextualist" or "originalist" that you're trying to straw man into the discussion here. Are you looking for a serious discussion or are you content with the drive-by? :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:21 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:15 am The Constitution doesn't say. So, you can't interpret it to add any qualifications that aren't present in the text. Right? :coffee:
I assume you're being glib. Outside of maybe Clarence Thomas, I can't think of any SCOTUS judge ever who would even come in the remote vicinity of the purposefully over-simple interpretation of "contextualist" or "originalist" that you're trying to straw man into the discussion here. Are you looking for a serious discussion or are you content with the drive-by? :coffee:
Are you referring to only alive ones? Scalia was certainly an originalist.
https://www.law.virginia.edu/news/2010_spr/scalia.htm
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Can I protest in the House of Representatives while it's in session? During a presidential press conference?

Based on your interpretation, security concerns should not trump my right to assembly.

This opens up a new world of opportunities for harassment, oops, I meant peaceful protest.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:59 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:21 am

Are you referring to only alive ones? Scalia was certainly an originalist.
https://www.law.virginia.edu/news/2010_spr/scalia.htm
Sure he was, but he was always far more nuanced than Thomas has and continues to be. I was referring to the intentionally simplistic definition that Skelly was trying to proffer up in this discussion.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:01 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:49 pm

The street is public territory
Irrelevant. It is a violation of federal law to protest outside of a fed judges residence, punishable by up to 1 year in prison. Doesn’t matter if the protestors are on the street, sidewalk, or lawn.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1507
Don't be such a drama queen. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

This decision is going to live in infamy.

And, it's like many Conk positions and not thinking through or offering a viable alternative to the status quo.

"Overturn Obamacare!"

"Ok. Have you thought about the repercussions of that and do you have a plan?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

"Overturn Roe v. Wade!"

"Ok. Have you thought about the repercussions of that and do you have a plan?"
A Baton Rouge mother has a week to make an unthinkable decision - carry her baby to term even though she says doctors tell her it will not survive or find another state where she can have an abortion.

“It’s hard knowing that ... you know I’m carrying it to bury it...you know what I’m saying,” asked Nancy Davis who is 13 weeks pregnant with her second child.

Davis got her first ultrasound at Woman’s Hospital when she was 10 weeks pregnant. She and her boyfriend were excited to welcome their new baby, but soon learned the pregnancy would not go the way they planned.

“It was an abnormal ultrasound, and they noticed the top of the baby’s head was missing and the skull was missing, the top of the skull was missing,” Davis explained.

Davis says her baby was diagnosed with acrania. A rare and fatal condition, where the baby’s skull fails to form in the womb. According to health experts, babies with this condition only survive minutes to hours after birth. But because Davis’s life was not in danger and the baby’s condition does not fall under Louisiana Department of Health’s list of qualifying conditions, she was denied an abortion. Unsure about what to do, Davis is faced with a tough decision. Either carry the baby to term, or cross state lines to get an abortion.
https://www.wafb.com/2022/08/15/mother- ... condition/
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Lol. There is no need for a “viable alternative” to Roe V Wade. It’s called “States Rights”. You should check it out.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Why don't states need a viable alternative?

Ok, so states had "trigger laws" that went into effect when Roe v. Wade was overturned. Their shitty implementation doesn't matter or shouldn't be criticized? :suspicious: Not really sure how "states rights" absolves them of criticism.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:38 pm Lol. There is no need for a “viable alternative” to Roe V Wade. It’s called “States Rights”. You should check it out.
Can't she simply drive across state lines?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:38 pm Lol. There is no need for a “viable alternative” to Roe V Wade. It’s called “States Rights”. You should check it out.
Can't she simply drive across state lines?
Louisiana is bordered by Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas. So, will take more than just driving across the state line.

Some states have penalties for seeking abortions in other states. Not sure about Louisiana.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm Why don't states need a viable alternative?

Ok, so states had "trigger laws" that went into effect when Roe v. Wade was overturned. Their shitty implementation doesn't matter or shouldn't be criticized? :suspicious: Not really sure how "states rights" absolves them of criticism.
Point being (that you obviously missed): There WAS a viable alternative—it’s called returning the right to the state, where it rightfully belongs. :nod: :nod: Now, whether each individual state does it righty or wrongly can be debated, but the ISSUE didn’t need an “alternative”. The alternative was already in place.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

These people are bat shit crazy (with apologies to bats.) Did Barrett’s husband testify in the nominee hearings? He clearly should have.
The People of Praise, a secretive Christian faith group that counts the conservative supreme court justice Amy Coney Barrett as a member, considered women’s obedience and subservience to men as one of its key early teachings, according to leaked remarks and writings of the wife of the group’s founder.

A leaked video of a recent private People of Praise event, marking its 50th anniversary, shows Dorothy Ranaghan explaining how some female followers of the faith group cried intensely in reaction to the group’s early teachings on “headship” and the “roles of men and women”, in which men are considered divinely ordained as the “head” of the family and dominant to women.………….

In her early writings, Dorothy Ranaghan emphasized the need for women to be “self-giving, responsible and reserved”. In a 1978 article that appeared in New Covenant magazine, called “Fully a Woman”, childbearing is described as a “central reality of womanhood” that “determines our presence in the world”, even for those who “by chance or choice” did not have children.

“The child in the womb expands the mother’s body, changing its dimensions. As her body yields, so do the borders of privacy and selfishness. Her very existence gives to another.” Women who are most admired, she wrote, “are not private persons, but are surrendered and available to care for others”.

“Pregnancy teaches a woman that others have a claim on her very person for the service of life. Rather than annihilating her, pregnancy makes her a new person, radiant and strong: a mother,” she wrote.

Once women gave birth in the People of Praise, work to care for them is divided on gender lines, according to Adrian Reimers, a Catholic theological critic and early member of the People of Praise who was dismissed in 1985 and wrote about his experience.

Reimers’ book critiquing the group, called Not Reliable Guides, states that men in People of Praise “were quietly taught by their heads and leaders not to change or rinse out diapers” and that women’s emotions were “distrusted”. Pastoral problems were often addressed by asking a woman where she was in her menstrual cycle.

Women, Reimers wrote, played a “decidedly secondary role to men” and a married woman was “expected always to reflect the fact that she is under her husband’s authority” and under his pastoral care. A guide on the group’s approach to outreach in the Caribbean, Reimers said, explicitly stated: “We should probably deal with the Caribbean matriarchal system by quietly developing an alternate rather than encouraging a confrontation.”
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 am These people are bat shit crazy (with apologies to bats.) Did Barrett’s husband testify in the nominee hearings? He clearly should have.
The People of Praise, a secretive Christian faith group that counts the conservative supreme court justice Amy Coney Barrett as a member, considered women’s obedience and subservience to men as one of its key early teachings, according to leaked remarks and writings of the wife of the group’s founder.

A leaked video of a recent private People of Praise event, marking its 50th anniversary, shows Dorothy Ranaghan explaining how some female followers of the faith group cried intensely in reaction to the group’s early teachings on “headship” and the “roles of men and women”, in which men are considered divinely ordained as the “head” of the family and dominant to women.………….

In her early writings, Dorothy Ranaghan emphasized the need for women to be “self-giving, responsible and reserved”. In a 1978 article that appeared in New Covenant magazine, called “Fully a Woman”, childbearing is described as a “central reality of womanhood” that “determines our presence in the world”, even for those who “by chance or choice” did not have children.

“The child in the womb expands the mother’s body, changing its dimensions. As her body yields, so do the borders of privacy and selfishness. Her very existence gives to another.” Women who are most admired, she wrote, “are not private persons, but are surrendered and available to care for others”.

“Pregnancy teaches a woman that others have a claim on her very person for the service of life. Rather than annihilating her, pregnancy makes her a new person, radiant and strong: a mother,” she wrote.

Once women gave birth in the People of Praise, work to care for them is divided on gender lines, according to Adrian Reimers, a Catholic theological critic and early member of the People of Praise who was dismissed in 1985 and wrote about his experience.

Reimers’ book critiquing the group, called Not Reliable Guides, states that men in People of Praise “were quietly taught by their heads and leaders not to change or rinse out diapers” and that women’s emotions were “distrusted”. Pastoral problems were often addressed by asking a woman where she was in her menstrual cycle.

Women, Reimers wrote, played a “decidedly secondary role to men” and a married woman was “expected always to reflect the fact that she is under her husband’s authority” and under his pastoral care. A guide on the group’s approach to outreach in the Caribbean, Reimers said, explicitly stated: “We should probably deal with the Caribbean matriarchal system by quietly developing an alternate rather than encouraging a confrontation.”
I think they are whackos. But I don't see where her husband needs to testify in hearings. I don't recall her ever saying in her testimony that she would have to ask her husband how to rule in cases that came before her, you know, the job she was going through the hearings for. Your idea of having him testify sounds perilously close to a religious litmus test idea. Even for the whacky religions, I don't see that as a good idea. Why are you against religious freedom? :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:49 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:26 am These people are bat shit crazy (with apologies to bats.) Did Barrett’s husband testify in the nominee hearings? He clearly should have.

I think they are whackos. But I don't see where her husband needs to testify in hearings. I don't recall her ever saying in her testimony that she would have to ask her husband how to rule in cases that came before her, you know, the job she was going through the hearings for. Your idea of having him testify sounds perilously close to a religious litmus test idea. Even for the whacky religions, I don't see that as a good idea. Why are you against religious freedom? :ohno:
I sincerely hope this is responding in kind - satire.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Here's the link to the full article since Kalm never posts the links to the shit he posts.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -of-praise
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 am Here's the link to the full article since Kalm never posts the links to the shit he posts.

Thank you. Sometimes I forget or I’m distracted.

By all means, read the rest of the article. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:44 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 am Here's the link to the full article since Kalm never posts the links to the shit he posts.

kalm, could you explain to me why so many of your fellow illiberals are appalled by the way that conservative Christian sects treat women but deflect and defend conservative Islamic sects that treat women just as poorly if not worse? I don't understand the logic that makes that seem reasonable.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:51 am

kalm, could you explain to me why so many of your fellow illiberals are appalled by the way that conservative Christian sects treat women but deflect and defend conservative Islamic sects that treat women just as poorly if not worse? I don't understand the logic that makes that seem reasonable.
I don’t think we follow the same illiberals.

The ones I follow denounce patriarchy including Muslim. :|
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:51 am

Can you explain why your fellow conservatives love the Saudis?

Oh wait…never mind. :kisswink:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:52 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:49 am

I sincerely hope this is responding in kind - satire.
I don't follow on this, you'll have to elaborate.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

:shock: Well…at least he’s honest.