kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:20 am
kalm wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 am Again…speaking the quiet parts out loud.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05 ... lity-rates
I quit right there as it is obvious that the author has never looked into the data on how much funding by religious institutions go into pregnancy centers and helping people through that particular period in their life.

When an author is not willing to at least acknowledge the other side of their argument but instead resorts to pushing a factitious, made-up narrative, why should I then trust anything else they state in the article?
Fair. I was more interested in Cassidy’s statement.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:23 am
Bernie was nobody who had accomplished almost nothing in how many years in Congress before "all of a sudden he's everywhere with guns blazing"?
Crisis periods bring out new/old ideas as the culture searches for solutions. Many recognize the inevitability of change while some cling dearly to a culture and power structure that is going away.

Thus the ascension of radicalism and divisiveness.
The "new /old ideas" was a nice touch to cover for the fact that Bernie touts an old idea that has never worked on a large scale. I'm a true progressive, open to truly new ideas but I'm also practical and would rather tweak what we have (it has warts but it works) instead of replacing it with an old, failed idea in the name of "change".
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 am
kalm wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:41 am

Crisis periods bring out new/old ideas as the culture searches for solutions. Many recognize the inevitability of change while some cling dearly to a culture and power structure that is going away.

Thus the ascension of radicalism and divisiveness.
The "new /old ideas" was a nice touch to cover for the fact that Bernie touts an old idea that has never worked on a large scale. I'm a true progressive, open to truly new ideas but I'm also practical and would rather tweak what we have (it has warts but it works) instead of replacing it with an old, failed idea in the name of "change".
You are obsessed with Bernie but I’m glad you’re a true progressive. His policy proposals haven’t changed much over time and they align with Teddy Roosevelt’s.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:54 am
You are obsessed with Bernie but I’m glad you’re a true progressive. His policy proposals haven’t changed much over time and they align with Teddy Roosevelt’s.
So he's a racist pig?

:coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am
kalm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 am

So he's a racist pig?

Bernie also once chased down a gang of horse thieves by riding a moose across a lake.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am
So he's a racist pig?

Bernie also once thought about chasing down a miscreant who left the library without checking out a book.
That's more likely.

Congressional tough is a step below internet tough. Bernie is Congressional tough. :mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 am Again…speaking the quiet parts out loud.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05 ... lity-rates
I quit right there as it is obvious that the author has never looked into the data ons and helping people through that particular period in their life. how much funding by religious institutions go into pregnancy center

When an author is not willing to at least acknowledge the other side of their argument but instead resorts to pushing a factitious, made-up narrative, why should I then trust anything else they state in the article?
pissing in the ocean. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 am

I quit right there as it is obvious that the author has never looked into the data on how much funding by religious institutions go into pregnancy centers and helping people through that particular period in their life.

Fair. I was more interested in Cassidy’s statement.
Methinks he knows that. :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Not SCOTUS…yet.

I wonder if Thomas would recuse himself?

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 am
kalm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 am

Bernie also once thought about chasing down a miscreant who left the library without checking out a book.
That's more likely.

Congressional tough is a step below internet tough. Bernie is Congressional tough. :mrgreen:
Still several steps above Ted Cruz Tough :lol:

...speaking of internet tough, has ALPHAGRIZ been charged yet for his actions Jan 6? :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 am That's more likely.

Still several steps above Ted Cruz Tough Image

...speaking of internet tough, has ALPHAGRIZ been charged yet for his actions Jan 6? :mrgreen:
:D you'd need a microscope to see Boobs tough.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:21 pm Not SCOTUS…yet.

He'd need to check with his wife... :mrgreen:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Have they been convicted yet?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:31 am

No but I’m guessing it will be attempted again.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:27 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:31 am

No but I’m guessing it will be attempted again.
Probably so. But until they are, the 14th amendment (assuming the Federal Appeals Court is the last Court to rule on the matter) does not apply.

So Mr. Snell, the prosecutor trying to drum business for himself, might want to wait before throwing a party. And watch his blood pressure. His tweets look stressful.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SC is quickly working through it's backlog of cases and I can't imagine why.
It’s unclear to me whether the group “Jane’s Revenge” actually exists and, if it does, whether there’s any coordination between the person(s) issuing statements on its behalf and the people vandalizing pregnancy crisis centers.

But it’s clear that people *are* vandalizing pregnancy crisis centers across the country since the Dobbs draft opinion leaked and that some of them are claiming an affiliation with “Jane’s Revenge.”

John wrote about the group a month ago, after windows were smashed and graffiti left on a number of offices connected to pro-life groups. The name “Jane’s Revenge” appears to be a nod to the Jane Collective, a pro-choice activist group that performed illegal abortions in the 1960s. After an arson was committed at the office of a Wisconsin pro-life lobbying group in May, a reporter from bellingcat said he’d received a message via a trusted intermediary about it:

We’ll likely have the Dobbs decision before the end of June. Sounds to me like things are about to get “fiery but mostly peaceful.”

If I were Joe Biden, I’d want my DOJ on the case here pronto. Not just because I owe a civic and moral duty to protect the lives and property of innocent Americans but because a wave of pro-choice domestic terrorism is about the only way the electoral picture for Democrats could conceivably get worse before fall. It’d be the cherry on a giant sh*t sundae. Hop to it, Joe.
https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/06/ ... es-n476521

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am

But, only protected by the right to privacy.

If there is no more right to privacy, these groups will start pushing limiting contraceptives and birth control.
There's a right to privacy, and even Alito's draft says that. The Left's meltdown that this will now result in everything being overturned (gay marriage, contraception, even interracial marriage - the Left still do realize that Clarence Thomas, a Black man, is married to a white woman, no?) is more fear-mongering as opposed to real political action. None of those things are in any danger as they differ significantly from the abortion question. All those other cases involve two different people making a mutual decision on how to live. Abortion, as pro-life people will say, doesn't have that mutual component.

For contraception, I would certainly think morning after pills (the ones that attack a fertilized or implanted egg) would be at risk - those are basically chemical abortions. But any contraception that just blocks the sperm or blocks an egg from releasing would be permissible. No one's about to ban condoms or birth control pills. I'm sure you'll hear some crazies on the right say that, and I'm sure we'll be able to dig up some crazy and say "see, someone's saying it", but there won't be any real chance of that happening.
Hmm.

Thomas certainly thinks we should revisit Griswold... do you think any of the 5 anti-Roe justices would hesitate to overturn Griswold? I don't.

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:12 am

Hmm.

Thomas certainly thinks we should revisit Griswold... do you think any of the 5 anti-Roe justices would hesitate to overturn Griswold? I don't.

If you would have read the whole opinion, you might have noticed that they answered your question for you. :coffee:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Thank you Trump. :nod: All 3 of his nominees voted to overturn, which were 3 of the 5 judges.

And how many times is this now where Roberts has voted with the libs in 5-4 decisons? Picking bad SCOTUS nominees runs in the Bush family.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well the market apparently likes the SCOTUS Roe decision..
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Let's review a couple of things:

RBG doesn't step down in the Obama years in spite of her age and history of cancer, because god forbid she might be replaced with a man.

Donks vote to nominate HIllary Clinton in spite of her low favorability rating among independents and even Democrats 'cause we "need" a woman president (or something). Even Bernie polled better nationally against Trump.

The irony here is that silly grrl power politics might have single-handedly got us to this day.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 am Let's review a couple of things:

RBG doesn't step down in the Obama years in spite of her age and history of cancer, because god forbid she might be replaced with a man.

Donks vote to nominate HIllary Clinton in spite of her low favorability rating among independents and even Democrats 'cause we "need" a woman president (or something). Even Bernie polled better nationally against Trump.

The irony here is that silly grrl power politics might have single-handedly got us to this day.
It played a significant roll for sure. Democratic establishment and low information voters or homers own a big chunk.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:28 am Well the market apparently likes the SCOTUS Roe decision..
The markets do not like uncertainty. This decision takes some of that off the board.

What I am curious about is the EPA case decision.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

:lol: at Maxine Dirty Waters